Dog control

lee-kinsman

Its hounds before they ate.

prity normal stuff, Its just that the general public don't see it.

A huntsman should be able to draw individual hounds forward to feed if he feels they need a little more food than the others while the other hounds stand back and wait.

At the end of feeding he would call "doghounds" and the dog hounds will draw into their own lodge away from the bitches.

Each Hound has a name and can be drawn individually.

Edited by Actionpigeons

Its hounds before they ate.

prity normal stuff, Its just that the general public don't see it.

A huntsman should be able to draw individual hounds forward to feed if he feels they need a little more food than the others while the other hounds stand back and wait.

At the end of feeding he would call "doghounds" and the dog hounds will draw into their own lodge away from the bitches.

Each Hound has a name and can be drawn individually.

Are hounds not dogs then? I wasn't actually looking to be patronised. Just thought I'd share it since I haven't seen fox dogs for a long time and thought others might appreciate the clip for what it is. Though I would admit I don't much about fox dogs so thanks for sharing your knowledge.

For me it is as WGD said, fascinating.

ATB,

Lee

If he didn't have the whip it would be more impressive IMO.

Did he hit any of the dogs with his whip? So why would it be more impressive.Do you train your dogs with no boots on so you can't kick them.I often carry a stick when i am training my dogs doesn't mean i use it on my dogs but if any of mine were attacked by another dog i would use it then

Geordie

Did he hit any of the dogs with his whip? So why would it be more impressive.Do you train your dogs with no boots on so you can't kick them.I often carry a stick when i am training my dogs doesn't mean i use it on my dogs but if any of mine were attacked by another dog i would use it then

Geordie

Really!!!!

I don't have any experience with Hounds...but do you really think that those dogs form a line before eating, because he as use cotton bud on their backs to train them that way.....I know where I would put the trainer whip....Right in his chocolate factory hole.

Geordie

Where did I say he hit them?

I don't kick my dogs. I don't use a stick, they might get the odd leash pull - but other than that - everything is positive.

Him swinging it around - they must have all been hit with it at some point. Not quite as many but I can stop all 5 of mine before they eat AND direct them to their bowls. Without using anything but voice and hand signals. If he'd had done the same - I would've been more impressed.

If he didn't have the whip it would be more impressive IMO.

"speak softly and carry a big stick" thing is you don't need to use the big stick its the speaking softly that carries the air of confidence that commands respect, I hope you understand this. If those hounds collectively thought they could best him and eat the food trust me with or without a wip they both could and would.

The whip is used as an extension of the Huntsman,whip or kennelmans arm, it very rarely that the whip makes contact with a hound.

Most packs are mounted so if the huntsman needs the pack to move over to the left because say a car is coming, he would hold the whip out to the right and the hounds move in behind him , Yes if a hound does not move over it would get a flick but no harder than you would slap a dog for doing wrong.

If hound where beaten, as some of you on here seem to think, do you really think they would follow the guy at the front holding a whip, every time he moved his whip they would scatter. Don't forget none of the hounds are on leads, the only time hound are on a lead of a sort is when they come back if from puppy walk.

They are coupled up to a strong older hound and learn by the older hound pulling them over when the whip or huntsman holds his whip out and gives a command..

People that don't have any experience with hounds really need to think before they post, or better still why not go out and watch your local pack and see how the hounds love their huntsman!

Quote: E.T.O. "Him swinging it around - they must have all been hit with it at some point"

Quote: Highbird70 "I don't have any experience with Hounds"

I am talking from over 35 years experience, not guess work

Support all field sports, not just the one you do as yours may be next on the list to ban!!"

Apologies to Lee-Kinsman, did not mean to patronise you, just an X huntsman pet hate Hounds being called dogs.

Good clip well worth people seeing. I am sure a lot of what he is doing with the whip is showmanship as you can see the public watching on the right.

Added a picture of myself a few years ago at a show, well a lot of years ago, do you really think a hound would jump up towards a whip they have been beaten with. Its part of me, and looked on as part of me and used the same way as I give my lab directions now when shooting. (hand signals)

post-47459-0-87162700-1360773496_thumb.jpg

Edited by Actionpigeons

Saying you don't like the whip is like saying you don't like a guy giving hand signals to his lab when he sends it out on a blind, its a tool to direct hounds that's all.

I disagree...

Not because I don't like the whip, you may think that I don't support the sport, your example about hand signal its not comparable with the use of the whip.

I will give you an example...I agree with the shooting of foxes....but I don't like the snares....can you see my point?

Me not liking the use of the whip to control dogs, its my personal opinion, don't take it the wrong way.

Christ, ignorance is bliss eh. You would need arms about 20ft long to get any purchase on that "whip". Thanks for your post Actionpigeons, very informative.

Wgd....ignorance, as got nothing to do we the subject, read what I wrote....I don't like the whip. Its a personal opinion about useing different tools to do the same work.

I disagree...

Not because I don't like the whip, you may think that I don't support the sport, your example about hand signal its not comparable with the use of the whip.

I will give you an example...I agree with the shooting of foxes....but I don't like the snares....can you see my point?

Me not liking the use of the whip to control dogs, its my personal opinion, don't take it the wrong way.

Wgd....ignorance, as got nothing to do we the subject, read what I wrote....I don't like the whip. Its a personal opinion about useing different tools to do the same work.

Your O.P. of quote: "I know where I would put the trainer whip....Right in his chocolate factory hole" implies you think the houndman in the clip beats the hounds. ​by your own admission , quote: "I don't have any experience with Hounds" If I did not know anything about a subject I would reserve my judgement until I knew more.

As I said before, take the time and go and watch your local pack and you may well see how a whip is used properly. its not a tool to inflict pain its an extension of the Huntsman/whips arm to guide hound.

I don't see how you think the use of a whip to direct hounds is no comparable to giving a lab or any other dog hand signals.

The example you use to make your point is not comparable, we are debating ways of directing Hounds/Dogs, not ways of killing things.

Edited by Actionpigeons

Your O.P. of quote: "I know where I would put the trainer whip....Right in his chocolate factory hole" implies you think the houndman in the clip beats the hounds. Implies that I don't like the whip for controling the pack of dogs

. ​by your own admission , quote: "I don't have any experience with Hounds" If I did not know anything about a subject I would reserve my judgement until I knew more. I do need to know more, but I am not discussing the sport, but only the use of the whip, that I disagree with.

As I said before, take the time and go and watch your local pack and you may well see how a whip is used properly. its not a tool to inflict pain its an extension of the Huntsman/whips arm to guide hound. I would like to do that, no idea where they practicing this sport, here in the midlands

I don't see how you think the use of a whip to direct hounds is no comparable to giving a lab or any other dog hand signals.

The example you use to make your point is not comparable, we are debating ways of directing Hounds/Dogs, not ways of killing things.

You are missing my disagreement in using the whip as a mean to control the dog.

Its only my personal opinion, I dislike the whip.

I don't want to start a rant or else about the using of the whip, knowing you Sirs are very passionate and experienced about this sport, I will use a famous phrase to end it, I agree to disagree.

Maybe the huntsman should use a feather duster to control hounds?, or would that upset some parrot fancier?. A huntsmans bond with, and control of ,his hounds is a beautiful thing to see. The hounds adore thier huntsman as much as any "couch dog" , you cannot get that bond by being hard on hounds. I have spent alot of years around hounds and hunting and the "invisible chain" between man and hound still gets the hairs on my neck to stand.

Edited by cocker boy

Just interested that's all. Is it the stigma of it being a whip?

I disagree because,

Its not only an extension of the harm of the handler, 90% of handlers, might just use it as an extension...but there is and as been times...that it was not only used as an extension of the harm, but as a punishement, you can tell me as many times as you want and how many years of experiences you have.....still...we know that sometimes as been used incorrectly.

I fully understand that people are very passionate about their sport and they will get very defensive and uptite about it, even if I am not dislikeing the sport. Its just the whip that I don't personally like.

And the correct use on a hound about to lead the pack onto a motorway or railway is?

Of course the threat is always there it has to be controlling a pack you don't exactly get your clicker out and say please come back. A good huntsman will hardly ever need to do more than make a signal or noise with the whip