Hungarian Vizsla

fergie

Hi,

I mainly rough shoot and am looking at doing some Pigeon shooting I know i could get a Lab but there not my cup of tea, the wife is not keen on Spaniels. we both like the look of the Vizsla and I am interested to know how they compare. will it be ok pigeon shooting from a hide? we recently lost our boxer after 13 years and I am going to be fitting a new kitchen this year and we don't intend to get one until this is completed giving me time to research the breed and find the right breeder if you could help in any way I would be very grateful

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a wirehaired Vizsla. She's 3, but in her first shooting season. I love her dearly and she is a fantastic retriever. If she sees it fall she will be on it like a shot. If she doesn't see it fall she will search the area and find it. I've been roost shooting with her the past couple weeks and before that she was a peg dog. With a bit more training (my fault) I'm sure she could make a fantastic hide/peg dog. As a rough shooting dog to do a bit of everything, if you want to put in the time of training (both pointing and retrieving) I think they might be about perfect (a german wirehaired pointer being equivalent). They are high energy and have a lot of 'go' so lot sof exercise is paramount. My issue is that I've run her with my lab when rough shooting and then used her in the beating line. She's a big running pointer with a flusher's mentality. I've made my life a lot harder to steady her up this summer.

Don't know where in east yorkshire you are, but I'm near Beverley. I'd be more than happy to introduce you to my wirehaired version. PM me as I don't check the dog boards much.

thanks,

rick

Another vote for Baz aka Evil Elvis!

He is the man to speak to about the Vizsla and you can ask him how he has got on training his. Last time I had a chat to him about them his was coming along nicely.

DO a search on the forum and you will find some of his posts.

I've got both a wirehaired vizsla and a spaniel.

My WHV isn't great in a pigeon hide, but he's getting better. If you want a dog for rough shooting they are superb. Mine will work all day and point the instant he's on a bird, then flush and retrieve. I'll echo Casts by Fly's comments in that they are just about the perfect dog for this. Also, if you want a pet dog too, they are great to have around the house as a family dog. Mine is so laid back it's untrue.

My spaniel on the other hand is a complete nutcase with no off switch! I got her to get under bracken and brambles because my WHV struggles at times in very thick cover. She does that great while out on walks, but is very much a 'see it, do it' dog with boundless energy. She is a handful to say the least, and I'm told they calm little with age.

So, if you cover lots of land I'd go with a wire vizsla (I'll always have one around). Rough shooting in very dense cover I'd go with a cocker. Don't expect miracles with either in a pigeon hide - they'll do it, but a lab is the ideal dog for that job and they ain't my cup of tea either!

The Vizsla is a Hunt Point Retrieve breed, so you will have a job on to supress the natural instinct to hunt, and it might be a torment to force the dog to sit in a hide for hours when centuries of selective breeding have created a hunting machine. In my view, the wrong breed for the job in hand. It can be done of course, but you can train a terrier the same...

Its an interesting one having a GWP I'd have a wire haired Vizsla had I not got this herbert the times she goes in a pigeon hide really is because she has seen the gun come out and that flicks the switch so to speak. Like a few because the shooting I do is pretty varied she fits the bill well sitting in a hide shouldn't be too dissimilar to sitting under a high seat for hours on end yet she will do that in preference and knows the difference between the rifle and shotgun and how to act. Foxing she will just lay on the back seat and sleep till the shot you never get a murmur the odd snore but thats about it. Most people get them because they shoot Deer and then they are good fun when rough shooting, beating can be hilarious with one I know mine absolutely loves it and has a tactic similar to the SAS to get in under brambles when she has an injured bird in there, un injured she will point but pricked birds she just knows. The HPR's are all late maturing and hard work worth it in the long run but you will tear your hair out at times, as a house dog though I can't fault mine absolutely spot on and with enough about her that the missus feels looked after if I'm out,

The Vizsla is a Hunt Point Retrieve breed, so you will have a job on to supress the natural instinct to hunt, and it might be a torment to force the dog to sit in a hide for hours when centuries of selective breeding have created a hunting machine. In my view, the wrong breed for the job in hand. It can be done of course, but you can train a terrier the same...

Here we go again :whistling:

well said could,nt have put it better my self use the right dog for the right job

I have read the whole thread that was linked earlier thank you very much I have also contacted Baz,

I know a vizsla is not going to be the perfect hide dog, I do very little hide shooting I just really want a shooting companion, like I said I/we don't want a lab. I mainly rough shoot and am use to a biggish dog as for the boxer in the Hide if I had put the effort in I bet he would of been great. I ciuld tell him to sit and he wouldn't move until I told him to the same with his food I loved my Boxer and I miss him a hell of alot 100_1000.jpg[/img]

if someone knows of any good sites to research the Vizsla a bit that would be great

Edited by fergie

"The Vizsla is a Hunt Point Retrieve breed, so you will have a job on to supress the natural instinct to hunt, and it might be a torment to force the dog to sit in a hide for hours when centuries of selective breeding have created a hunting machine"

I totally disagree with that statement, But apparerently i trained my dogs all wrong. I introduce them to the gun at 6 months, via the clays and onto game at a year, rough shooting regularly and was doing her first formal shoots at 2 years old, she is just as happy sitting in a hide as she is sitting on a peg, and I fail to see what the difference sitting on a peg is to sitting in a hide, and she often gets a lot more action in a pigeon hide.

The bottom line is shes three now and lives for being out in the field, she is happy doing any of the disciplines, shell retrieve ducks from ponds and rivers, sit in a hide and go out to retrieve when she hears a thud, I can stop her chasing hares and foxes, shes is brilliant at flushing pheasants and retrieves anything I tell her to.

Wether they were designed for for hpr or not, they are just as happy doing any of it as long as shes in the field and shes with me,

As well as all that she is a great family dog loved by all that meet her and has melted the hearts of many pigeon watch members over the last few years.

Shes a privilage to have.

I have 4 others too, Dexter is 2.5 and is now reaching the levels that purdey is at, I have a year old Storm that is coming on in leaps and bounds and 2 pups(boris and Mila) i just bought in from Hungary in November, they are also coming along well, both have been introduced to the gun at 6 and 7 months. I cant see the point of waiting any longer, if you spend a year or 18months traing a dog that is gun shy you have wasted 18month imo.

If you want a dog and dont want the usual spaniel (nothing wrong with them just not my cup of tea) or a Lab, or the other awful crosses that are out there, then you wont go fgar wrong with a viszla!!!

Well said Baz :good:. My that Braco of yours is growing up...!

Some people are too quick to pigeonhole breeds based on what they have traditionally done, not what they are capable of.

I wouldn't swap my lad for the world, but he'll need to brush up on being a peg dog as we're going fully driven next year instead of walk & stand :lol: . He just loves the hunting so much though I'll have to swap some days and beat so he can do some proper work.

Fergie

ive read the replies to your post and whilst not wanting to cause an argument i will say this : Vizslas are one of the most versatile breeds in existence. whilst my Vizslas arnt pets per se they are my closest work companions they perform their tasks with a 100% effort and give unwavering service in hunting pointing and retrieving , rough shooting , wildfowling, formal picking up , sat in a pigeon hide for hours ( tho i do let them retrieve the birds each half hour or so) field trials and working tests and im about to introduce the youngest to deer tracking. they are quick to learn and fun to be with so long as you get your training right you wont be disapointed

mark

grand looking dogs, them all. Many a spaniel sits for hours in the hide, my own HPR did, its just harder to get there. I see the point of getting the dog to the gun by 6mnths but taking them down to a clay shoot or blasting a 12 bore over their heads as an introduction is a very risky strategy- I assume they were introduced slower than this with claps, banging and .22 blanks in the distance first though?

6 months or younger I would be concerned about damaging their tympanic membrane but there is a big difference between shooting clays with a dog next to you and letting them hear relatively close shot at a clay ground. I've never gone down the clay ground route but all mine hear shot by the time they are about 8 months and once they have heard it I like to get them close to it quite quickly, ideally within one session. But then I purposely avoid dogs where the breeding is likely to make them very soft.

6 months or younger I would be concerned about damaging their tympanic membrane but there is a big difference between shooting clays with a dog next to you and letting them hear relatively close shot at a clay ground. I've never gone down the clay ground route but all mine hear shot by the time they are about 8 months and once they have heard it I like to get them close to it quite quickly, ideally within one session. But then I purposely avoid dogs where the breeding is likely to make them very soft.

Next time my dog blanks the whistle I shall claim "I must have damaged his tympanic membrane" as I am sure nobody else has a clue what it actually is also!