Mobile phone and network

sandspider

Hi all

My current phone (HTC Desire) contract is nearly up and I'm thinking about upgrades. I'd like a smart phone, probably Android, definitely not Apple. I'm thinking vaguely of the HTC One X, the Samsung Galaxy (though it's a bit huge), possibly a Nokia Lumia or the Google Nexus. For the latter, I'd buy it sim free, and was thinking about getting a GiffGaff sim card. (£10 a month for 250 minutes, unlimited texts, 1gb of internet - this should be enough, though a few more minutes wouldn't hurt). I like the spec and price of the Nexus (except the fact that is has no memory card slot and a non-removeable battery, both of which would be nice), but I've recently heard some not so good reviews of Giffgaff. (Poor / non-existent customer service, data & text limits on supposedly unlimited plans, slow data speeds, poor signal and slow to fix problems etc.) My current network is Vodafone, and they are ****. Before that I was with O2 and they were good, but their prices were higher. (I understand GG uses O2 infrastucture, but at a "lower priority" than customers who are directly with O2...)

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the above phones and Giffgaff, or can suggest other phones / network providers I could look at? (Doesn't have to be the super latest smartphone, but would need to be decent speed and spec).

Cheers. :good:

I got the Sony Xperia S and very impressed by it I looked at the Samsung but the size was just ridiculous and would end up annoying me. I am with T mobile and only paying about £20 a month for unlimited texts about 300mins and unlimited internet and i didnt have to pay for the phone. Orange and T mobile joined forces so coverage is pretty good.

Like you my previous phone was an HTC Desire which I was very happy with. However, due to the other half also liking it, I lost out (it’s now unlocked with a GiffGaff sim in it and working flawlessly). Sooo, one HTC One X later (thinking to myself HTC = good phone) here I am.

Do not touch this phone with a bargepole! Same service provider, same location indoors used over several months now and the reception ability of this model is in no way comparable to the Desire.

My daughter signed up for the Galaxy S3 on the same service provider as myself and the signal reception on hers is two bars greater with the phones side by side.

Shame really as I highly rated HTC with the Desire but I will not be going back to them once my contract is up after the One X experience.