Declaration Day Reports.

Cranfield

We attended at Tonbridge....eventually.

The traffic congestion was good to see, but not fun to sit in.

There was a good turn out, the local TV news said about 10,000.

I thought it might have been more than that.

The Hunts looked splendid, its always good to hear hunting horns and see the hounds.

As YP said elsewhere, its a pity that more people don,t realise this is NOT just all about fox hunting, but hunting with dogs and other Country Sports.

There were a lot of terrier and lurcher owners there, but Kent should have produced more Country Sportspeople.

My biggest moan is, that I opened The Mail on Sunday this morning.

Hoping to read what the national attendance was like and there is no mention of the gatherings, at all.

I have tried to telephone the newspaper, but nobody is answering the phone today. I will ring them tomorrow.

Did many turn up at your area meets ?

:< Just listened to a an interview by Peter Hain (Labour bloke) who stated that the Lords will not be allowed to prevent the Commons getting its 'democratic' way, and the Hunting Bill WILL go through next session. Parliament Act here we come :<

Looks like we'll be proving our committment to the Decleration and Lemmy will be on the dole :lol: :blink:

PP

Went to the Yorkshire meet . Was very disapointed by the turn out i recon there was only about 2000-3000 folks there . But i will stand corrected on that 1 .

Signed the decleration form . Then listened to a load of speechers about hunting on horse back , not one of the speakers went anywhere near terrier and lurcher work , Hare coursing was not mentioned either . So i surmised from the speechers that the hunting bill was just to ban folks rideing round on horse back with a load of hounds.

all the best yis a tad P'd off yp :blink:

Why did they have the meet on Saturday? Most of the working folk can only do their shooting/hunting on Saturdays.

Its a clear case of the Horsey Brigade not giving a ****, if it wasn't for the terrier and ground staff, who are the backbone of the sport, and like myself, a beater, would have been there supporting if it was a Sunday.

Look you Hooray Henrys, you have our support, we don't want our sport affected, but your concerted attittudes are going to get our work with terriers banned.

JUST A LITTLE THOUGHT WOULD HAVE DOUBLED THE ATTENDANCIES AT ALL REGIONAL MEETS.

We had about 7,000 on foot, 40 packs of hounds and 600 horses.

People were still queueing up to get in when we left.

I hope I can get hold of s photo of us all.

I think the rumour that police would think twice about renewing certificates of anybody who signed, put a lot off.

I sat next to a local clergyman on the coach. Very interesting chap, been an army pardre for 12 years. He was in Bosnia and the Gulf. All frontline stuff.

Well put Tap Tap.......I'm a beater as well, and was out doing my duty on the est were i work......did hear a phone poll in the am on local bbc radio station....had to turn it of as the pepole phoning in were talking a load of rubbish! non country folk who aint got a clue as to what really goes on in the country side!

All the best

Buzz :blink:

Three counties showground in Malvern had OVER 4,000, we were expecting 1,500 and we ran out of decleration forms! :lol: I bought my "******** to Blair" badge :blink: and had a hell of a time, unfortenatly i couldnt go on horseback as my dad was working and couldnt drive the lorry, but hey it was still fun.

I think the rumour that police would think twice about renewing certificates of anybody who signed, put a lot off.

I was told today that the old bill intends to refuse renewel of shotgun certificates to anyone who has been caught taking game without a game license.

Apparrently they think pickers up should have a game license.

The wording on the Game Licence (as I,m sure we all know), says it is a, "Licence to kill game".

It doesn,t specify how you kill the game, but it does give, under the heading "Shooting", "some suggestions for ensuring Clean Kills".

I doubt that you would ever need a licence to carry game, as long as it was already dead when you picked it up.

That would be like insisting that the staff in game dealers and country butchers, had a game licence to handle dead game.