Cabnet mod

debo

Hi all I have a brake down cabnet and would like a garden gun but they are to long do you think it would be acceptable to drill a hole in the top so the end of the barrel pokes out as it will still be secure. Sorry if this seems a daft question but I just cant afford a new cabnet at the moment thanks again

I can't think of anything that says it couldn't be done. Your FEO may be a little unhappy with the idea when it's time for renewal, but as long as the hole isn't vastly larger than it needs to be I can't see how it would have an impact on the overall security - you'll just have a bit of pipe stuck out a few inches. Useless to anybody who cuts it off and isn't going to help gain access inside the cabinet.

I also know of people who have done this for long muzzle-loaders. Shouldn't be a problem. The condition on your certificate requires that you take security measures which are 'reasonably practicible' - there is no absolute requirement do have any particular form of security in any shape or form. It is not, for instance, a legal requirement to even have a steel cabinet.

J.

Is this fact or assumption?

Well when you think about it, in most rooms the ceiling would prevent you getting a very long bar for leverage.

If the cabinet is bolted in correctly then I'm quite sure you'd bend the gun barrel on a single barreled gun before the cabinet could pull off the wall, even if you could get enough leverage.

Of course for the OP who's wanting a 9mm shotgun, the cabinet fixings would have to be very fragile to fail before the barrel.

Is this fact or assumption?

I'll put it another way - if you can do that then your cabinet isn't fitted properly!

Proper bolts attching the cabinet to the wall should withstand pretty much anything you can subject them to with any hand tool acting outside the cabinet.

J.

Edited by JonathanL