Purse nets

rabbit hunter

What type/size purse nets do you prefer?

I make my own out of hemp. I make them 3', 3'6" and 4'. They are 14 meshes wide and they slide well. I use 1.2mm nylon braid for my draw cords and 1" rings. I use hardwood pegs, i bought some plastic ones once, but they were ****.

For my long nets and stop nets i use 12mm 26" whitewood dowel for my stakes.

And for my end pins i use a steel peg with a 4"(diameter) circle. so when i finish with them, and can gather the net on one pin, and put the other pin on the end so it dosent fall off and get tangled. (i only use these for long nets, because with my stop nets, i just fold them up like a purse net.) The way i make these is just buy 2foot lengths of 10mm steel rod and heat it up and curve it into shape. Then grind a point on the end.

I have two hand made hemp "short long nets" but couldnt be bothered to make 25yard long net. I prefer to use the smaller purse nets where possible, but if the hole is too big, then i use 3'6" or 4'. Where my dad always try to use the bigger ones. So when we go ferreting, i carry the 3' nets and he carries the 3'6" and 4' nets. I prefer the smaller ones because the rabbit is easier to get out, where with the larger ones, when you move the rabbit, they sometimes just kick themselves into another mesh. But in the bigger ones you can kill them in the net without the risk of them destroying the net.

• 3 weeks later...

i got started net-making because i was fed up of untangling my nylon nets, so I thought I would get some Hemp nets, but when I found out how much they were £35 for 10 I decided to make my own. I was going to buy a kit from Arthur Carter Field Sports but I got to no one of my dads mates (jeff) in the pub 1 nite and he was dying to go on holiday but didnt want to kennel his 3 lurchers, so i agreed to look after them, jeff lives more or less back to back to a farm so walking them was no problem. Anyway he used to do ferreting and he said he knitted his own nets and i got him to show me how, so he did, and thats how I learned. But if you go to http://www.nfws.net then go to how to make a purse net. there is some pictures, but theres nothing better than some1 showing u how.