Me and the Ping Pong on Kirton 16/02/13

harrycatcat1

We have not been out on the marsh for a couple of months for one reason and another bad back, flu etc and possibly a small dose of procrastination and the thoughts of the two hour drive when I could be laid in that warm bed. Anyway I got up at 03.10 and drove across to Kirton marsh arriving at 05.30. I had forgot how flippin awkward neoprene chest waders can be to get on, anyhow I won the fight and got them on and set off to the chosen spot. When I got on top of the sea wall I heard some Mallard calling out on the marsh and thought this could be "it". Carried my new bag with the decoys in along the sea wall listening to feathered activity on the marsh. Got to the spot set up the decoys but it was rather tropical and not a breath of wind to liven up the decoys.

Settled down into my chosen spot and thought it was time for a sausage roll and cup soup out of the flask as reward and just wait.

post-16219-0-70386700-1361127574_thumb.jpg

This is where I spent the dawn on Saturday morning

post-16219-0-34954000-1361127731_thumb.jpg

I sent out the "scout" to check that the decoys were behaving and to see if there were any birds on the horizon.

post-16219-0-53297900-1361127846_thumb.jpg

She said everything was ok and came back to her post and we had another sausage roll and soup.

post-16219-0-77930900-1361127917_thumb.jpg

So apart from lots of Brent Geese interested in my decoys, seeing a fair few swans flying around and curlews mobbing me there were not any legitimate quarry to be seen.

"Did you both enjoy it?" = Yes

"Will you both be there next season?" = Of course I flippin will I love it !

ps for those of you wondering where the sausage rolls are from they are from Lidl, I love them especially when I am on the marsh.

a nice write as always harry :good: , well done , i'le get you a duck or two next season mate , you just need to venture out just that little bit more .... to a nice little spot around the corner ....

as long as you and the ping pong keep enjoying it that's all that matters mat :yes: .....hope to see you in the summer months down south lincs clay ground .... :good:

Good write up and photos Harry. Been a pleasure being in your company a few times this year (and Ping Pongs) Keep coming and we will see if we can get you a duck to take home (not plastic). I used to hear a rustling noise coming from your direction.....mystery solved...Sausage Rolls....how come my dog didnt wander your way ???

Hope to see you during the summer at SLWA clay shoot as I have promised myself I am going to shoot there again after missing out for many years. Washwildfowler would have still been in a pushchair when I last went there :lol: . Take care ...Ayano3.

Good write up and photos Harry. Been a pleasure being in your company a few times this year (and Ping Pongs) Keep coming and we will see if we can get you a duck to take home (not plastic). I used to hear a rustling noise coming from your direction.....mystery solved...Sausage Rolls....how come my dog didnt wander your way ???

Hope to see you during the summer at SLWA clay shoot as I have promised myself I am going to shoot there again after missing out for many years. Washwildfowler would have still been in a pushchair when I last went there :lol: . Take care ...Ayano3.

Yes it would be good to meet up at the clay shoot :good: Thanks for helping me around sheps as well.

The only thing is I cant get the image of washwildfowler in a pushchair out of my mind, not as a child though :lol: :lol:

a nice write as always harry :good: , well done , i'le get you a duck or two next season mate , you just need to venture out just that little bit more .... to a nice little spot around the corner ....

as long as you and the ping pong keep enjoying it that's all that matters mat :yes: .....hope to see you in the summer months down south lincs clay ground .... :good:

Thanks mate and next season I will definitely take you up on the offers :yes::good:

edited to say next season not next year

Edited by harrycatcat1

Yes it would be good to meet up at the clay shoot :good: Thanks for helping me around sheps as well.

The only thing is I cant get the image of washwildfowler in a pushchair out of my mind, not as a child

I was even better looking when I was in a push chair.... than I am today . Looking forward to meeting up down the clay ground this summer ..

Hi guys, just for clarification.

Plastic or felt cartridges are ok for the SLWC clayground.

Ground will open on Sunday April 7th this year, usual times, 9am til 12.

All invited for just to shoot a few informal clays or find out more about Wildfowling & the club.

Hope to see some of you down there.

Steve Cook

SLWC

Hi guys, just for clarification.

Plastic or felt cartridges are ok for the SLWC clayground.

Ground will open on Sunday April 7th this year, usual times, 9am til 12.

All invited for just to shoot a few informal clays or find out more about Wildfowling & the club.

Hope to see some of you down there.

Steve Cook

SLWC

Thanks for the clarification Steve :good:

Thanks Steve, many years since I come there but look forward to having a go on Sunday's. Always wanted to shoot a straight there but it was impossible as the trappers would load extra on the trap if you needed 2 for the straight.

where now in the 21st century ayano3 .....you know there's no more horse and carts now mate :lol: and were all automatic traps .....