Stiff Joints on my Jack Russell

steve_b_wales

My JR terrier is 15 years old. She's a bit overweight, and is a bit slow getting up and down steps etc. Today, I took her down the coast for a long walk across the beach. Nothing strenuous, walking at her own pace. Tonight, after she slept in her basket for a few hours, she could not raise herself on her back legs. I had to lift her out, and support her until she could stand (barely) She went up the garden for a pee, and could hardly stoop to go.

Is there anything that any of you could recommend to help her with joint relief? I remember having some Glucosomine for her, a few years ago, but did'nt see a big difference in her. I know she'll probably get more use of her legs after resting them some more, but would like something to help her.

Hi steve hows things mate sorry to hear about your jr have you tried metacam i use to give it to my old lab it used to ease the stiffness in his legs .you should be able to get it from your vet i usdd to give him half an asprin witch seemed to help to

Pm sent

Atb andy

We had the same with our Westie when he got old,my wife bought some tablets and they were ok contained asprin but cousin with working dogs used some tablets on his that gave great results. Ill ask him tomorrow and post name if no body posts the name before I get a reply.

Sure they advertise in country magazines.

Figgy

Steve I have found a miracle cure

It was recommended by our vet but we buy it on line from a place called petsupermarket.co.uk

It's called Hills jd prescription . But the name suggests you need a prescription you actually don't . You can buy wet tinned food or dry bags .

My lab is old and arthritic and strained a joint to the point I had to carry her out to pee . She is on metacam and tramadol for the pain . Within a month of the new food she was like a puppy again back to her old self . It's £22 for 12 tins so it ain't cheap but to me it's worth every penny . Pm me if you need more info .

Atb Kev

Update:

Thanks to everyone who commented about the problem with my JR. When I came down stairs this morning, she was a lot better than last night. Although a bit stiff in her back legs, she can now manage to get in and out of her basket, and also get up and down the garden steps. She still has a bit of a limp in one leg, but she has had that in the past a few times, as well.

I don't intend taking her for such a long walk again, which was approx 2 miles total, and something she is not used to anymore. I think she/we over did it. Last week, I climbed one of the peaks in Brecon National Park, and my legs were stiff the next day too, so she's probably the same.

I'll look into the various treatments available, just in case it happens again. She gets fed a tin of sardines everyday, as she won't eat 'dog food'. She gets dog biscuits as a extra. When she was at the vets about a year ago, for a different matter, the vet said that giving her sardines is probably one of the best things she can eat.

Regards

Steve.

its called unfit steve,the more she walks the better she ll get used to it,long walks after sat in house will ache lol. i did a st davids yomp yesterday fishing,sore this morning myself lol.comes to us all ....old age.

You're right mate. I don't take her out so often, owing to late work, bad weather etc. Excuses I know, but will get her out more in the future

And as for 'old age', surely not! :whistling:

The only stuff i found guaranteed to work with regards to dog mobility is the drug 'Metacam'. I tried the glucosapine,cod liver oil,devils claw etc etc with my previous dog (a heavyweight Rottie) and only saw a tiny marginal increase after 6 months. The Metacam however made him into a new dog after only 3 days and he was chasing balls etc again.

Well. As mentioned by me this morning, my dog has made a vast improvement to what she was like last night. She still has some stiffness in her back legs, one more than the other, but I don't think she's in any pain. She 'ran' around the garden this afternoon, after she saw a cat on the back wall!

I've taken on board to all your comments, and thank you all. Should she have trouble like this again (and I don't intend taking her for long walks anymore) I'll look into getting one of the above supplements mentioned.

Cheers

Steve.