House purchase- Harlow

ferguson_tom

Hi Everyone

We are seriously considering moving to Harlow as we have just sold our house and i want to get somewhere closer to work in Hoddesdon. I used to live in Hoddesdon so know Harlow town centre very well its just the housing areas themselves I am not too sure what is decent and what i should stay away from.

Problem I have found is some areas might not look great because of the style of houses but are actually decent areas. One house we are going to look at is in Longbanks near Staple Tye shopping area, the house itself looks great but surrounding area is all not nice looking 3 story town houses and flats saying that the street looks quite well kept and the cars look half decent.

Could some one please tell me the decent areas of Harlow and what ones to stay away from and specifically this Longbanks.

We are a young family I have got a 3 month old son and planning another baby next year the plan is this house will do us for next 5-10 years or so or until we can afford something back out in the villages. Any useful advice would be fantastic, and please do not fill this thread up with slagging off Harlow as a town I already know it has the highest teenage pregnancy rate blah blah blah....

Thanks in advance.

Well, having lived in Harlow for over 12 years now I'm quite happy. I live in a fairly quiet street, cul de sac so no traffic, fields at the rear, drive and garage, havent had any major problems or incidents around me and, for the most part, brought up 3 kids here. None of them are pregnant, including the girls, none of them do drugs or are involved in criminal activity and 2 are looking at University places soon. I blame the parents.

I cant really tell you which bits are 'bad' and which bits are 'good' but go see the places and decide for yourself.

I was born and bred in Harlow and despite my criticism of it on here before I do have fond memories of. Most of the estates will have at least a few ok areas. Some more than others.

In general I would discount anything south of Southern Way

If you start in Old Harlow (North East) and work across Westward across The Stow, Nettleswell and then Pardon. Then south (crossing Third Avenue) to Great Parndon and back Eastwards across to Brays Grove. That about covers everything north of Southern Way. Further East across the A414 into the 'new' area of Church Langley is OK as well.

Feel free to ask specific advice or PM if you want.

Edited by AVB

Thanks for the advice the problem i have with going out that way is go further away from my family in stotfold and royston way, the other option we are looking at is stevenage but being picky on the areas we are looking at.

Personally I'd look at the edge of Stevenage and the main reason being road links they are far better were you to ever change jobs. Budget wise with that wish list you may just be ok but you won't be able to be too picky on area.

This is where the "Snobs" come out of the woodwork, Shouldn't live here, would never live there and so on.

On their profile you often get just the county so not displaying where they reside, safety in anonymity.

Lighten up, people trying to get on the rungs of the property ladder need encouargement not Snobbery, constructive advice on areas is good and helpful, other comments not so.

This is where the "Snobs" come out of the woodwork, Shouldn't live here, would never live there and so on.

On their profile you often get just the county so not displaying where they reside, safety in anonymity.

Lighten up, people trying to get on the rungs of the property ladder need encouargement not Snobbery, constructive advice on areas is good and helpful, other comments not so.

Yeh, exactly. i know nothing about harlow but fair play to any man doing his best for himself and his family. No snobbery in me, i've had it hard, no leg ups for me.

Fair enough

Harlow is a **** hole, always has been.

I was brought up in a tin house in Debden and we looked down our noses at Harlow.

It was one of the early new towns that went wrong.

Fair enough

Harlow is a **** hole, always has been.

I was brought up in a tin house in Debden and we looked down our noses at Harlow.

It was one of the early new towns that went wrong.

Said by a man who lives in Milton Keynes...

776441_black_kettle_1.jpg

Let me quote you a song about MK....

Larger than life and twice as ugly

If I have to live there you'll have to drug me.