Clumber spaniel

Dave1087

Congratulations on your choice of hound sir! Excellent breed and very easy to work with. The only tip I'd give you is that they can be a little stubborn at times and do not react well to "orders". If you work with the dog, negotiate if you like, they will do anything you require and very stylishly. Mine are 3 and almost 2 and both work very well and methodically. Bash through thick cover an absolute treat.

What line is yours from?

Mines will be seven this year

still headstrong,stubborn and can be deaf when the mood take him.

His also full of bounce

He will work his little socks off ( just like the springer) but when his had enough he will just go pick a peg and sit by it

We have found he is at his best for finding birds that have dropped in thickets

where the springer will be in and out

if he picks up a scent, their is no moving him untill that bird is found

he seems to go on point lol so we always send the springer back in and I have never known her not to come out without a bird

that he has picked up on scent wise

When am out walking the dogs I always get asked two questions by passerbys who don't know the breed

1, Is he a Engilsh setter !!!!

2, how old is your puppy lol

Enjoy the experience of owning a Clumber

they are a very entertaining breed ;0)

xxxxSuzy

Had a clumber years ago would flush birds where springers had been through , very solid dogs would walk through hot tar once on the scent. As for headstrong I prefered to call them a little bit stubborn just some of the times but mostly very lovableand biddableits got me thinking about a new one after all i spend most of my time walking the dogs in clumber park im sure youll have a blast with her im feeling rather jealousI

Mines will be seven this year

still headstrong,stubborn and can be deaf when the mood take him.

His also full of bounce

He will work his little socks off ( just like the springer) but when his had enough he will just go pick a peg and sit by it

We have found he is at his best for finding birds that have dropped in thickets

where the springer will be in and out

if he picks up a scent, their is no moving him untill that bird is found

he seems to go on point lol so we always send the springer back in and I have never known her not to come out without a bird

that he has picked up on scent wise

When am out walking the dogs I always get asked two questions by passerbys who don't know the breed

1, Is he a Engilsh setter !!!!

2, how old is your puppy lol

Enjoy the experience of owning a Clumber

they are a very entertaining breed ;0)

xxxxSuzy

Did you go off on one then thinking of MR Sweepy ?

I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending a Clumber. Mine's never what I'd call headstrong. In fact he's a very biddable boy with a temperament second to none. Sometimes comes across as bit disinterested but he does get bored sitting in a hide, whereas my Lab is the complete opposite – never relaxes for a second in case he misses something. However, when we are out walking for birds in the season he will work his paws off for as long as we are out. He doesn’t miss a thing either, very thorough.

One thing with Clumbers though is that they tend to be the best muck-magnets going, especially this time of year. Great when they’re house dogs!

It does make me laugh at how clueless people are with the breed. The last time somebody got it wrong they though he was a King Charles. You see lots of 60lb King Charles that hunt every inch of the way through the country park. I was informed by another idiot that they also come in brown…

ive only ever seem the Clumbers that attend Weston Park fair in Sept, always been impressed with the look of them, however my plans are fixed at the minute, another cocker and an ESS litter possibly in the pipeline but next time i might be more than tempted after reading this. :good: