22 semi autos

Dogs

I've got an old Anshutz 525 put thousands of rounds through it rarely clean it and never had a jam!

Great for rabbits. Yes it's easy to rattle of a few rounds but the novelty wears off!

My only issue is the lack of noise control with its action compared to a bolt action for groups of bunnies it can be a problem. However I've had numerous multiples which I wouldn't have had with my bolt action.

Horses for courses!

Totally agree.

• 3 years later...

Hi out there, ... thinking of getting a 22 and have been looking at the 10/22 and remington 597

anyone care to advise on the pros / cons of what / which is good or bad

hope to use for bit of target and a bit of pest control and choosing a heavy barrel version of

whichever

thanks for any advise, good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif much apprechiated Dogs&&0

If you want a semi auto, then you won't go far wrong with the 10/22. It isn't the world's favourite .22 for nothing. ;) There are plenty of accessories and spares available if you ever need them, and like most Semi's, they are very reliable if you keep them clean.

As others have said, it might not be the best choice as a general purpose gun, but any semi will put a smile on your face that lasts for a long time! :good::yes::lol:

i reckon after 3 years he'd have already got something :lol:

I would think he'd have had plenty of time to have got rid of it and got a bolt action instead too. :D

Would love to know what did happen.

Edited by 39TDS

Hi outthere, http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/good.gif thinking of getting a 22 and have been looking at the 10/22 and remington 597 http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/hmm1.gif

anyone care to advise on the pros / cons of what / which is good or bad http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/sad2.gif

hope to use for bit of target and a bit of pest control and choosing a heavy barrel version of

whichever

thanks for any advise, http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/good.gif much apprechiated Dogs

i have a 10/22 there not bad rifles at all you can do a lot to them and there very easy to work on also they have more after market parts than any other rifle i think im not sure about the other rifle as never used one but you cant relly go wrong with a 10/22

Pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew

The novelty soon wears off.

Correction:

Pew pew pew *JAM* pew pew *JAM* *CLICK* *CLICK* pew pew pew pew *CLICK* pew pew *JAM* pew pew *CLICK* *CLICK* pew *CLICK* *CLICK* pew pew pew pew pew pew pew *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM**JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* *JAM* pew

dont tend to have that promblem with my 10/22 using mini mags i had a couple of promblems with the bx 25 mags until i fixed them now they work fine havnt had a promblem with the 10 round at all i found a lot of promblems you can get is with the mags or the rounds my bx 25 mags feed mini mags 100 per cent but keep getting jaming problems with the bx25 with cci standed rounds but the cci standeds work 100 per cent in the 10 round mags.

In theory the bolt actions should be reliable, but i had more jams and shaved bullets from a BSA supersport .22 bolt action i had than any of the semi autos. Now the rifle itself was great, but it had a magazine that was pretty rubbish design very flimsy and let the bullets pop up vertical and jams were comon place with that gun.

So bolts can jam and do on occasion, Had a voere semi auto and it was accurate and reliable, with basic cleaning.

It was not that ammo fussy either a good all round gun. I swapped it for a CZ452 which i still have 17 years latter. Nothi ng was really wrong with the voere but i wanted to go back to a bolt.

If i were to ever concider a semi auto again it would probably be a 1022, the 597s are as good but if you want any custon bits to get round a problem or improve lets say a trigger you just can not live with, there will be a part parts or a kit you can get to get it working to your satisfaction.

They are pretty good out the box from what i have seen, and abbout the only thing i have seen play up in the field is the rotary mags they give trouble i have seen it a few times so it does happen, but other than that they are very good.

I can't comment on semi-autos because I have no personal experience. I've always liked the idea of a bolt action rifle, so when it came to buying a .22LR, I went for a CZ452. I'm very happy with bolt action. It's never jammed and I can get a 2nd shot off pretty quickly. Occasionally, I miss out on a rabbit that I think would have been in the bag with a semi-auto, but on balance, if I was to buy again, would definitely go bolt action.