14 months springer tail amputation

ferguson_tom

Hi Everyone

My springer never had her tail docked as the breeders werent shooting people but now she is 14 months old it keeps splitting open and getting blood everywhere. It seems to mainly happen when in the house when she bangs her tail on walls etc when she gets excited and its getting worse every time it splits.

As she is a working dog i spoke to the vets when she was little about getting it done by they said they would only do it if it was causing her problems. The thing i am worried about infections she loves the mud, water (obviously its a springer) and would rather do something about it sooner rather than later we have booked her in with the vets later this week to get their advice as well.

My questions is has anybody had there dogs tail amputated in later life, did the dog seem particularly distressed, did it solve the problem? If it wont actually help I will just put up with it and just treat as and when it happens, but so far its happened 4 times in the last 6 or 7 days.

Thanks, Tom

My Lab had his done on Monday, he's a rescue dog, 2 years old and had been biting the tip of his tail and legs through stress. Since i've had him ( a month) he's stopped all biting and is happy and settled, however the damage at the tip of the tail wouldn't heal because he keeps wagging it and whacking the wall,door ....anything , the vet has removed about 4"...... he doesn't seem to notice and it's causing him no discomfort so far.

He's a lovely boy, and i have hopes to make him my gun dog..... but in the month i've owned him, i've spent nearly a £1000 at the vets.... the tail alone has cost £450 so far...

The vet was reluctant to do it , but said there was no alternative as the tail was allready infected.

Dave

There always was a good reason for some dogs to be docked in the first place

If vets and do gooders are against the 'cutting' of tails then why cant docking be done as they do with lambs ie use rings!!!!

My mate got his cocker pups docked recently so there are some vets about with sense. (hard to find tho)

Far easier and kinder to be docked a few days old than at 14months!!

Just to add I had a springer many years back as a working dog who was docked at birth.

The cocker I have now is just a pet and isnt docked.

If, and I doubt I ever will, I have another spaniel for working I would want a docked one.

Edited by masmiffy

Get it done, get it done right and cage rest her with her tail strapped and toilet her on the lead for at least two weeks until its healed. Mates cocker had two operations due to repeated infection, ended up with a stump and 3 weeks in the vet following her second operation as any further infection in what was left of her tail could have gone into her spine.

If its split now it will only get worse.

I refuse to own an undocked spaniel.

Thanks for the advice everyone, my wife took her to the vets today and the vet said its already infected and even to clean it up would need sedating so she is booked in on Friday to have it off, all of it just going to leave a little stump. Any ideas what sort of money, hopefully I will be able to claim it back on the insurance.

If your insured ask the vets to deal direct " I no mine do " you just pay the excess direct , if its infected it will be covered no problem , if you have to pay upfront I would estimate 280-300, I would like to think that vets do not inflate premiums to insurance company's but my friend had the same done around 2 yrs ago under the same circumstances and his vet dealt direct with his ins company and I am sure it was 300 ,, please post how much it costs

Atb delburt0 ... :)

the docking issue s farcical, my mates son's undocked cocker bitch was mated in England but as he moved to Scotland before the pups were born the vet was unable to dock the pups. However, because the bitch's tail was in such bad condition it was decided once the pups were on their way at 8 weeks she would have to be docked. so he now has his bitch docked as an adult, and a pup from this litter....undocked, which if its anything like the mother will need docking in 6-12 months time, crazy world! :whistling: