661 Pigeon in a Day is it still a record

The Ghost

Perhaps not the best time of year to start this thread, but look ahead to better days.

I have long had the thought that this record held by George Digweed would be beaten..or has it been

I have seen some very good days had by two shooters covering a field but when do you think this record will be beaten.

We have often talked like most other shooters about "if everything is just right we could have a bag full today".

Always looking for more, what could you shoot in a day if conditions were just right?

Or...How many of you have fired over 700 shots at pigeon in a day?

Edited by The Ghost

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have shot around 300 cartridges in a day for 220 pigeon and even that was starting to become a experience I would be in no hurry to beat , it was a hot day my eyes were sore , my shoulder ached and I had a splitting headache and I had to make 3 trips of a good distance back to the car.

Sometimes you really can have too much of a good thing :lol:

I was offer £500 for Charity today if we could beat the record on a single field in a single day.

No more than four guns, the bloke said he doubted it could be done.....Big mouth here said "of course it could"

Thats the real reason I asked.....Fenny said he can't remember that day Fenboy.....outshot him again I think?

I was offer £500 for Charity today if we could beat the record on a single field in a single day.

No more than four guns, the bloke said he doubted it could be done.....Big mouth here said "of course it could"

Thats the real reason I asked.....Fenny said he can't remember that day Fenboy.....outshot him again I think?

It was long before me and Fenny started shooting together :lol:

I think to get the numbers you talk of it would really have to have lots of different things to fall in place , lots of birds that decoy perfect from start to finish , sound going away from the flight line and some top drawer shooting , but hey if you can supply the field I will give it a go :good:

It was long before me and Fenny started shooting together :lol:

I think to get the numbers you talk of it would really have to have lots of different things to fall in place , lots of birds that decoy perfect from start to finish , sound going away from the flight line and some top drawer shooting , but hey if you can supply the field I will give it a go :good:

theres quite a few shooters on here who could shoot that many in a day, but its like you say its getting everything fall into place on the day and having enough carts with you in the first place i would be caught out many times if it happened lol

Is shooting live quarry about breaking "records"?

Here's one for you. I once shot 123 pigeons (picked) for 88 shots using a Baikal single barrel 12 bore. I kid you not gentleman. Beat that!

I bet that was back in the day when if you chucked some bits of grey plastic gutter in the field then the birds would decoy from a mile away , either that or you were in a loft :lol:

Your right though , it should not be about records , some of my most enjoyable bags have been modest .

No doubt also there has been some huge bags shot where the shooter / s have not seeked publicity so its all pretty meaningless.

Edited by fenboy

Some time this year a large number of Pigeon will need to be shot on a crop for a land owner.

Landowners want every shoot to be a record, I never go out to shoot five Pigeon...but many days this has been the result.

Shooting Pigeon is about doing the best for that person's crop...and he wants as many killed as possible.....as we do.

If a team of four shooters were to go onto that farmers field in the right conditions I believe it to be possible.

Granted not an everyday score (705 now) but every farmer in the Fens would love it to be his crop you saved

I have just been offered a Remington 8 shot for the attempt, never thought of that one.

Fenboy you can have first Dibs at the Remi, let me know.

Thanks PW

No let Fenny use it, he has the FAC and it would be handy if he still had a chance after missing the first six :lol:

Of course pigeon shooting isn't about records, but it is about having a good amount of sport in a day. I do enjoy all of my shooting, but i'm never really satisfied with small bags.

Good luck with shooting 700+. There is good reason why not many people shoot anywhere near that figure.First, you have to have a huge amount of pigeon using the field (maybe 5000+),have them decoy nicely and then shoot straight all day. The first part of that is the one least likely to occur.

By the way, an 8 shot auto would be no better than a 3 shot in achieving that feat.

For one person to shoot 661 in a day you would have to shoot and kill a bird a minute for nearly 11 hours without missing don't seem possible to me,not on your own.

I did once shoot 97 in 90 mins but as you say to get that many birds over a long period would take a awful lot of doing

If there are to be four of you how can that possibly beat Georges record he was on his own. If you consider that to beat the record then I have been a member of a team on a few occasions that have beaten the record and George was one of the members so he has beaten his own record.

The bloke said to me 700 Pigeon could not be shot on a single field on a single day.

He then said even if you had four guns on that field, it would not be done.

George's Record will be his for a long time as I have never met a better shot than him.

We are going to beat the record number....not Georges Record.

I am also pleased that you know it can be done.

I have done some work on this today working out what we need & have had loads of PM's from Pigeon Watch Members.....One has even said he would give a days pay to PW Charity if we could do it......It will be done.

I am sure George will wish us all the best

The bloke said to me 700 Pigeon could not be shot on a single field on a single day.

He then said even if you had four guns on that field, it would not be done.

George's Record will be his for a long time as I have never met a better shot than him.

We are going to beat the record number....not Georges Record.

I am also pleased that you know it can be done.

I have done some work on this today working out what we need & have had loads of PM's from Pigeon Watch Members.....One has even said he would give a days pay to PW Charity if we could do it......It will be done.

I am sure George will wish us all the best

what makes you so sure that you are gonna shoot that many birds in a day, seems a bit pie in the sky to me saying right we are gonna beat so and so record, not saying it can,t be done but how do you know the situation is gonna happen ?