661 Pigeon in a Day is it still a record

The Ghost

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We intend to video the event and put a running total on PW during the day of the shoot...so no pressure on the shooters then.

Thanks for your support, I have just noticed one of the shooters putting a Wanted add on here for a Five + shot.....out shooting with him today and never said he was looking for one.....A Man of Few Words lol

what makes you so sure that you are gonna shoot that many birds in a day, seems a bit pie in the sky to me saying right we are gonna beat so and so record, not saying it can,t be done but how do you know the situation is gonna happen ?

As another shooter has said on this post, not every good bag has been recorded on PW you are welcome to come to the Fens to see what I am talking about. I don't want to start another debate but we have more Pigeon here than most in the country. When I lived in Cumbria and other parts of the country I would never make this statement. I shoot with people who have shot over 300 in a day many times and due to being to lazy to take a camera would never put it on here without proof.

I was told that 35,000 geese left the Wash some weeks ago heading for the Solway Marsh.....Pigeon tend to like going to parts of the country that grow food they can eat....I have seen thousands of Geese on The Solway and Thousands of Pigeon In the Fens last year

As another shooter has said on this post, not every good bag has been recorded on PW you are welcome to come to the Fens to see what I am talking about. I don't want to start another debate but we have more Pigeon here than most in the country. When I lived in Cumbria and other parts of the country I would never make this statement. I shoot with people who have shot over 300 in a day many times and due to being to lazy to take a camera would never put it on here without proof.

I was told that 35,000 geese left the Wash some weeks ago heading for the Solway Marsh.....Pigeon tend to like going to parts of the country that grow food they can eat....I have seen thousands of Geese on The Solway and Thousands of Pigeon In the Fens last year

It's all very well shooting 300 in day, but it's very different to shooting 700. I think the only way you can even think to 'guarantee' a day like that would be to bait a field in the autumn, and that's not really on.

As i said before, not many people shoot bags of over 500 for a good reason - the chance to do it by someone with the skill to do it comes up very rarely. I know a man who shot over 500 in a day about 3 miles from where i live. Would the bag have been much more with 3 other guns on the field? I very much doubt it.

so i heard aweek or two ago jim albone and a mate shot 600+ on a rape feild in kennit not to fair from newmarket. now dont hold me to this because i dont no 1 if its true or 2 if the numbers have been stretched if you no what i mean. i heard it from my game dealer and of too other blokes from round the area.

anybody else hear it??

I would believe it, I have seen him shoot and can't say I have seen anyone better.

He set up a day for 6(?) of his mates and they shot 1900 in a day.

I know where there did it and there were no tricks involved just good groundwork and very good shooting.

Get hold of Exceptional Red Letter Days DVD if you want to see how they do it.

I wish you the best, we shot 264 crows last year and to tell you the truth by the end I was getting fed up. As many have said before though everything would just have to drop into place for you. Good luck tho.

Good luck to you lads. I agree with the above post; last Summer me and a mate shot a mixture of 150 corvids and 30-40 pigeons on the one field over 7 hours. I was wrecked that night (I am a fit 29 year old) and was pretty bored towards the end of the day. Now I am not used to big bags, 40-50 would be the norm for me in the Summer, so I am not criticising, but it would take a lot of concentration and stamina to shoot 700 birds in the 1 day.

Good luck to you lads. I agree with the above post; last Summer me and a mate shot a mixture of 150 corvids and 30-40 pigeons on the one field over 7 hours. I was wrecked that night (I am a fit 29 year old) and was pretty bored towards the end of the day. Now I am not used to big bags, 40-50 would be the norm for me in the Summer, so I am not criticising, but it would take a lot of concentration and stamina to shoot 700 birds in the 1 day.

also a lot of birds streaming into your decoys one after another almost non stop

2 of us shot 272 one day on rape stubble in 2001, and never got near that number in the 15 years previous and the 12 years since, best after that is 138

in certain parts of the country really big bags are a once in a lifetime experience

also a lot of birds streaming into your decoys one after another almost non stop

2 of us shot 272 one day on rape stubble in 2001, and never got near that number in the 15 years previous and the 12 years since, best after that is 138

in certain parts of the country really big bags are a once in a lifetime experience

I lived in the North West (in Cumbria) for 37 years and even now don't know anyone who has shot 100 Pigeon my biggest bag was 53, they don't have the amount of pigeon we have in The Fens and never will. Until they turn The Lake District National Park into growing land and get rid of all the cows, sheep & tourists things will be the same......I never said nobody has ever shot 100 Pigeon in Cumbria, I said "I don't know of anyone"

I would believe it, I have seen him shoot and can't say I have seen anyone better.

He set up a day for 6(?) of his mates and they shot 1900 in a day.

I know where there did it and there were no tricks involved just good groundwork and very good shooting.

Get hold of Exceptional Red Letter Days DVD if you want to see how they do it.

Totally agree it can be done given the right conditions and good fieldcraft and the right people. Though in my opinion it shouldn't be all about numbers but it always seems to be the first question "how many did you get" well to be honest I would now rather shoot 20 or 30 really good flighted birds than 150 20 yarders over decoys

We intend to video the event and put a running total on PW during the day of the shoot...so no pressure on the shooters then.

Thanks for your support, I have just noticed one of the shooters putting a Wanted add on here for a Five + shot.....out shooting with him today and never said he was looking for one.....A Man of Few Words lol

You do make me laugh! You make it sound like your 'event' is a certainty. You do realise that all serious decoyers are always searching for the kind of situation you're talking about?

I've been doing this for several years and killed some good bags, but you need a really exceptional day to shoot the numbers YOU want.

Four guns on a field won't necessarilly make things easier, unless you have a 200 acre field with about 10 good flightlines coming in.

Best of luck, but don't hold your breath.

Never under estimate The Ghost Motty, I now know this is going to be very hard to do...but not impossible.

As I said some of the biggest bags last year on the Fens are not recorded...due to People not taking a camera to confirm their bag.

So as far as they are concerned it never happened, Cambridgeshire has got to hold to potential to allow this to happen.

I have shot Three on a large field and wish we had someone covering to the left or right of me it has been that hectic.

I have been sent PM from shooters who have said they would like to see it done or would like to be there.

I don't consider this lightly and think we should clear a field of Pigeon whenever we take on that responsibility for the land owner.

We have three fields I think this would be possible to do it.....but depends on what the farmer puts in them this year.

I am sure if we needed extra kit PW Members would help us out.....I have sorted the Chuck Wagon out and looking forward to it.

Never under estimate The Ghost Motty, I now know this is going to be very hard to do...but not impossible.

As I said some of the biggest bags last year on the Fens are not recorded...due to People not taking a camera to confirm their bag.

So as far as they are concerned it never happened, Cambridgeshire has got to hold to potential to allow this to happen.

I have shot Three on a large field and wish we had someone covering to the left or right of me it has been that hectic.

I have been sent PM from shooters who have said they would like to see it done or would like to be there.

I don't consider this lightly and think we should clear a field of Pigeon whenever we take on that responsibility for the land owner.

We have three fields I think this would be possible to do it.....but depends on what the farmer puts in them this year.

I am sure if we needed extra kit PW Members would help us out.....I have sorted the Chuck Wagon out and looking forward to it.

Ok. Tell me about some of these bags that weren't recorded. Were they anywhere near 700? I doubt it.

But, if you do happen to find a good situation, i'd be interested in being there to shoot/film.

Need to get permission from those involved Motty not 700 but some very good days with four shooters on two fields, will work on it.

I know what it will be "Oh no they never" so may not be worth the hassle of upsetting people...sure you can understand that

You are always welcome Motty & have breakfast with us on the day.

Edited by The Ghost

Good luck with it Ghost, just a note about large numbers, if you look at dove shooting in Argentina some of those guys hit thousands in a day, think the record is @ 10,000. Doves are easier to hit due to the way they fly in large close groups, bit of a fish in a barrel type of thing, but that is still a lot of carts to go through in a day.

S

I was told that we could have an england international clay shooter for the day.

Despite Northern Monkey stateing I like a wind up this is 99% possible but not asked him yet.

Will post when I can fully confirm this, he has shot with us last year....never saw him shoot but told he may help out

I was told that we could have an england international clay shooter for the day.

Despite Northern Monkey stateing I like a wind up this is 99% possible but not asked him yet.

Will post when I can fully confirm this, he has shot with us last year....never saw him shoot but told he may help out

what help out on this guaranteed 700 plus bird day that your gonna get, or have seen coming... pull the other one :lol: Edited by yickdaz

I think a few people local to me will know who I am on about.

It would be nice if you said, if you have an England International Clay shooter shooting on the day I will donate £100 as I don't believe you.

Thats my offer to anyone.....any takers....as I said don't under estimate The Ghost

Will you take bets this won't be accomplished within say a 12 month period? As far as I know the whole point of the bigger bags is that they were made by a single individual in any case, so using 4 is somewhat different isn't it? Also not being too negative but is this strictly legal seeing as pigeon shooting is meant to be pest control and a good reason etc, planning a record seems kind of like the main motive, just interested in comments and not flaming so apologies in advance.

Will you take bets this won't be accomplished within say a 12 month period? As far as I know the whole point of the bigger bags is that they were made by a single individual in any case, so using 4 is somewhat different isn't it? Also not being too negative but is this strictly legal seeing as pigeon shooting is meant to be pest control and a good reason etc, planning a record seems kind of like the main motive, just interested in comments and not flaming so apologies in advance.

I don't see anything wrong in what The Ghost is trying to do. I just think it is extremely unlikely that it will come off. I have been 'chasing' big bags for years in good pigeon areas and shot good bags, but to shoot a bag of 700 would need pigeons to be coming to that field from miles around.

I think a great situation could be found for the record attempt, but it may only result in, say, a 300 bird day. Now that's a good bag by anyone's standard, but hardly record breaking.