661 Pigeon in a Day is it still a record

The Ghost

Same here last year on Barley....madness.

I have had bad luck all week,

The other day I needed to pay a visit to the public toilet, so I found a public toilet that had two cubicles.

One of the doors was locked. So I went into the other one, closed the door, dropped my trousers and sat down.

A voice came from the cubicle next to me: "Hello mate, how are you doing?"

Although I thought that it was a bit strange, I didn't want to be rude, so I replied, "Not too bad, thanks."

After a short pause, I heard the voice again. "So, what are you up to?"

Again I answered, somewhat reluctantly, "Just having a quick poo... How about yourself?"

The next thing I heard him say was, "Sorry, mate, I'll have to call you back. I've got some **** in the cubicle next to me answering everything I say."

haha :lol: i thought this was funny. i have had several beers and some whisky though.

not sure about the current record but if the weather keeps this form going it will be a while before anyone gets any record bags :/

Edited by aga man

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i,m more than aware that bigs bags are possible, shot a few meself along with a lot of guys on here, but there is a lot of flim flam on this thread it has to be said

Alan Wood is a name I have been given as holding the record....or does he?

This is getting mad, I have had loads of PMs as well as those seen on here....and what have I learned....Nothing?

If you start at 8 and shoot non stop till 6 you'd have to shoot 1.33 birds per minute without missing. This is not allowing for a pee, a coffee, sandwiches, making adjustments to the hide/decoys, collecting any shot or wounded birds (nobody shoots everything dead, one is four at the minimum would need dispatching humanely), a lull in birds coming in, sheer noise killing the flight line temporarily, concussion from recoil, exhaustion, having to fetch ammo, etc etc.

On a day likely to result in such huge numbers the scene amongst the decoys would be one of near biblical suffering wounded birds UNLESS you make frequent trips out to gather up. To me the marksmanship or even physical fitness required to pull this off is not the issue but quite simply the number of freely willing decoying birds that is just so unlikely. If you allow for the real life things that need to be done in between then the actual required rate of killing without missing is even higher <_< .

These numbers just get mentioned but who officiated or counted? Was it birds gathered dead at the end or guestimates based on those you know you hit which must have fallen dead later :rolleyes: ?

Alan Wood is a name I have been given as holding the record....or does he?

This is getting mad, I have had loads of PMs as well as those seen on here....and what have I learned....Nothing?

Ok Ghost this is my theory, Its called the SCOOBYDOO THEORY...... It goes like this...... Some years ago DEFRA experimented with using "doped" feed, the Idea was that they laid the bait on a problem field, the pigeons ate it then just lay on the field in a drug induced stupor, then later all they had to do was come back & pick them up & dispatch them.......The flaw in the plan was it wasn't just pigeons that ate it.... Right this is the sinister bit... An unscrupulous pigeon shooter happen to come across a baited field, picked up the birds & claimed the bag, no one would ever doubt him, after all he had the photo's to prove it, or so he thought....He would of got away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!!!!!!!

I don't fully get it, am I looking for an old bloke who lives in a deserted mine? four people who talk to a dog or Jimmy Savile.

Having a Scooby-Doo van on Halloween helps me pick up a lot of girls. I don't solve mysteries though......I only create more?

I think it's great the kids out of Scooby Doo travel the country solving mysteries do you think we need them to solve this one.

Ok Ghost this is my theory, Its called the SCOOBYDOO THEORY...... It goes like this...... Some years ago DEFRA experimented with using "doped" feed, the Idea was that they laid the bait on a problem field, the pigeons ate it then just lay on the field in a drug induced stupor, then later all they had to do was come back & pick them up & dispatch them.......The flaw in the plan was it wasn't just pigeons that ate it.... Right this is the sinister bit... An unscrupulous pigeon shooter happen to come across a baited field, picked up the birds & claimed the bag, no one would ever doubt him, after all he had the photo's to prove it, or so he thought....He would of got away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!!!!!!!

Edited by The Ghost

Oh ghost, you can be thick at times.... I'm not saying he was wearing a rubber mask & trying to put all the other local pigeon shooters out of business.... Your just trying humiliate me on PW, because you weren't allowed out to play yesterday :no:

I don't fully get it, am I looking for an old bloke who lives in a deserted mine? four people who talk to a dog or Jimmy Savile.

Having a Scooby-Doo van on Halloween helps me pick up a lot of girls. I don't solve mysteries though......I only create more?

Sorry, as I have said I have had a bad week.

I recently bid on eBay for the complete series of Scooby Doo.
I came so close to winning, but some gezzer bid at the last second!
I would have got away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling bids!

I shot a 1001 last week , funny thing was i only had 900 cartridges had a few lucky shots mind.forgot to mention i had Scooby and scrappy retrieveing for me they were knackerd by the end of it.

Edited by shootnfish

That's a carpet cleaner and does not count?

I shot a 1001 last week , funny thing was i only had 900 cartridges had a few lucky shots mind.forgot to mention i had Scooby and scrappy retrieveing for me they were knackerd by the end of it.

I did 135 for 308 cartridges last year. one of those first harvest suicidal days. I missed so many it was embarrassing, had i have been in the groove it could have been 250. I loved it, was knackered and will never forget it. This year will be the same, same barley field, first field cut in the area, and i know the pattern, 6 fud's down and bang bang bang all day. If you had the time you could go 14 days in a row and have a ton per day. I might just do that this year. 2 weeks of heaven to replace the winter rubbish. I would be happy to share it, its such a great little touch.

That's a great prediction. You HOPE it will be the same.

I doubt whether you would have got 14 days shooting in a row from that field, let alone 100 per day.

If you start at 8 and shoot non stop till 6 you'd have to shoot 1.33 birds per minute without missing. This is not allowing for a pee, a coffee, sandwiches, making adjustments to the hide/decoys, collecting any shot or wounded birds (nobody shoots everything dead, one is four at the minimum would need dispatching humanely), a lull in birds coming in, sheer noise killing the flight line temporarily, concussion from recoil, exhaustion, having to fetch ammo, etc etc.

On a day likely to result in such huge numbers the scene amongst the decoys would be one of near biblical suffering wounded birds UNLESS you make frequent trips out to gather up. To me the marksmanship or even physical fitness required to pull this off is not the issue but quite simply the number of freely willing decoying birds that is just so unlikely. If you allow for the real life things that need to be done in between then the actual required rate of killing without missing is even higher <_< .

These numbers just get mentioned but who officiated or counted? Was it birds gathered dead at the end or guestimates based on those you know you hit which must have fallen dead later :rolleyes: ?

I know huge bags can seem far fetched, and i don't readily believe what most folk say without any proof. Even a picture of a load of pigeons laid out doesn't constitute proof.

However, i know that massive bags can be achieved. When i shot my best bag a couple of years back (340) it was in a good area for pigeons, was at the right time of year for big bags (autumn) and was on a field with food that they like (barley).

The action was hectic at times but it wasn't manic. It could easily have been twice as busy and not been a problem.

There were periods where 20+ birds were falling in a few minutes and then a few minutes of nothing. One of the beauties of shooting a field like that at that time of year (mid October) is that the pigeons haven't got as much choice and were very keen to be on that field. Gunshot noise didn't have the same adverse effect on a pigeon that it normally would.

I wasn't alone in the hide that day and that made it easier than shooting alone, but there still has to be a good level of marksmanship. We shot well on the day, but a couple of less able shots may have only accounted for 150 or so.

I caught up with an old gamekeeper friend a couple of weeks ago. He is local to me and his biggest bag is over 600. He has also shot a 500+ and a few 400+ bags.

Huge bags are possible, but some people do have a habit of making things up.

Yes that's true, I've seen the pictures..... PS that skirt really suites you.....

post-62876-0-54114700-1364030127_thumb.jpg

Edited by Northern Monkey

I don't know what the official record for one gun in one day is but I'm sure over 800 birds is possible

Lots of things would have to fall into place for this to happen but I honestly know it can be done

Obviously right field right day but the gun would need support of others to provide support and would be totally whacked by the end of it

Anyone who doubts it can be done has only to look at the amount of doves shot in a day in Argentina or Africa that proves its physically possible to do it

The gamekeeper who shot 600 in a day with us shot his first 100 birds in just under 1 hour

Regards CWD

There's a pigeon guide who works along the A303 and he killed over ( there's an article about it somewhere) 2100 birds in one day between 3 clients of his.

Also there is 2 chaps who take foreign shooters and take over 25,000 birds in 4 months in the Midlands.

There's a pigeon guide who works along the A303 and he killed over ( there's an article about it somewhere) 2100 birds in one day between 3 clients of his.

Also there is 2 chaps who take foreign shooters and take over 25,000 birds in 4 months in the Midlands.

I am sure it is just a coincidence that large bags of pigeons are normally somehow attributed to people selling pigeon shooting.

Same as always talking about large bags is nearly always attributed to someone connected somehow to selling pigeon shooting.

The question is would you want to shoot 500 + pigeons in a day. I have found shooting a 100 + bag quiet hard and tiring work. The mental aplication of shooting a big bag can be exausting. When I have shot a big bag I usualy get home eat and then sleep for most of the evening. Then there lugging the birds off the field and if its summer the effect of firing a couple of hundred shots is painful on the shoulder when wearing just a T shirt. My best bag has been 216 , shot over spring rape , but it was hard work. Give me a nice day , fresh breeze , steady stream of birds , but with a few quiet periods to relax , have a cup of tea and I am more than happy with 40-50 birds for the day for say 70-80 shots. Thats the sort of day that i can enjoy , big bags can be hard work.

Edited by anser2

spot on hamster

I am sure it is just a coincidence that large bags of pigeons are normally somehow attributed to people selling pigeon shooting.

Same as always talking about large bags is nearly always attributed to someone connected somehow to selling pigeon shooting.

I am not attributed to anyone selling pigeon shooting.