Experience needed for FAC

willc

Just had the FEO round to check me out for Rimfire FAC, .22 and 17HMR.

All OK but he asked if I had experience with the calibers. I had to reply that although I had 30 years with a shotgun and more with an air-rifle, i had not shot a rimfire, tho I am familiar with safety aspects.the ranges they shoot to, ballistics, etc.

He told me he would like me to get some experience with someone with a rimfire, just to get a feel of the difference I guess, discuss safe shooting and tips, get a few shots down range etc.

He pretty much made it a condition, and to give him a call after, where he would process the application.

I asked some questions, it could be an informal session, maybe an hour he suggested.

I have no issue with this, a bit suprised maybe, but quite happy to pick up tips and pointers, and talk about shooting!

Problem is I don't really know anyone that could help me out, so if any one is up for it, and is in a reasonable distance by car of Stockton on Tees, then I am looking for a volunteer!

Actually another member I go shooting with has also applied for his FAC, is in the same area so same FEO, will probably be told the same , so possibly accomodate 2?

We would be happy to pay for any ammunition of course, and a 'beer or two' or whatever!

Any way, hopefully no harm in asking I hope!

'rimfire-rookie'

Edited by willc

Thanks to all of you who have responded to this post, very reassuring to be a member of PW, great community.

I have pm'd 'landrover ' as he is the closest, all offers are very much appreciated, and 'shooting for a day' in Co Durham would not be refused by anyone!

Thanks again, I will post any progress.

Willc

seems a standard condition these days for FAC.... but i do see the sense in it.... people should get experience before being letting loose with a Rimmy..

I agree, but then again its not rocket science. Should there be a course like DSC 1 for using a rifle? Surly someone who has used a shotgun for a number of years, can grasp how to safely use one. Plus on a first FAC is it the not norm for it to be a closed cert, and the land is looked at.

How does a FEO justify this rule, is this off his own judgement? I understand they do a risk assessment regarding storage, where the property is, crime rate, etc etc, which is there own judgement, which is clearly stated as part of the process, but this I havn't seen.

http://tna.europarch...pdf?view=Binary

Personally I think its a shame we have become such a nanny state! Im sure if I owned a a rifle I could go out and use it. But due to moving about as much as I do the hassle of having land to justify it and not just an invite or travelling up to scotland a hand full of times to do some shooting is just not enough if its it in writing these days.

Hope you get out soon, enjoy.

Edited by LancsGunsmith

OK, thanks to all again for the offers and input.

Big thanks to landrover and his son for going out of their way to come to my land, with bench and targets, set up a range and let me loose with their rifles, discuss does and don'ts, where and where not, ranges and wind. It was a cold, wet and windy day, not the best for standing around, but they stayed for a couple of hours or more. gave me a good insight for me stepping up to rimfire and maybe on to centre fire!

I have informed my FEO, and he says he will be acting on it on Monday. I will update with any news, hopefully with a licence in a few weeks lol.

Cheers!

I had the exact same situation and I am located on the North York Moors! The FEO told me to get abit of experience then he will send out my certificate, I'm going out with a friend who shoots all the time so I will soon have one too!

lou13

I hate to say it but this could be stony ground for someone: At the very least I'd say get in in writing from you FLO that you can mentor someone.

My FEO has made it very clear that I am not conditioned to allow ANYONE to shoot my rifle, nor am I conditioned to shoot anyone elses. Not even my brothers same caliber! In normal use who would know - but to put into writing or attest that someone else has shot my rifle ain't ever likely to happen. I'd have to remind the department about that if they ever ask me to mentor anyone.

I hate to say it but this could be stony ground for someone: At the very least I'd say get in in writing from you FLO that you can mentor someone.

My FEO has made it very clear that I am not conditioned to allow ANYONE to shoot my rifle, nor am I conditioned to shoot anyone elses. Not even my brothers same caliber! In normal use who would know - but to put into writing or attest that someone else has shot my rifle ain't ever likely to happen. I'd have to remind the department about that if they ever ask me to mentor anyone.

Dave I guess that depends if you fulfil the 'estate rifle' clause, I can allow anyone to shoot mine, FAC holder or not.

OK, to keep you up to date, Feo did contact 'landrover' on Monday about my shooting experience, and my FAC arrived in todays post. Now I just have to decide what rifle/s to buy! (pretty quick I reckon, no complaints there!)

On the wording of the conditions, it states ' ranges or land deemed suitable by the chief officer where the land is situated and where the holder has authority to shoot', now, does that constitute an 'open licence'?

I have authority on many farms which are already shot by other rifle users, are they already deemed suitable? not clear to me, I can phone the FEO but what is the norm?

Well done on getting your ticket mate ,no its not open if it says suitable by chief this is a closed licence but if your other permissions have other rifles on there they have probably been cleared just get a permission form signed by the farmer and send it to your feo.

alb Lee