Got my Ithaca 37 Pump Today

The Ghost

Very nice collection Mark, stunning in fact.

I have cleaned it twice and find the build quality outstanding I can't see any ware on it at all but could be down to the quality of parts.

I wanted a short gun for hide work 24" barrel and have yet to fire it....going mad but off all day tuesday.

When/What do you use yours for, or do you find them best suited too.

Edited by The Ghost

Very nice collection Mark, stunning in fact.

Thanks.

I have cleaned it twice and find the build quality outstanding I can't see any ware on it at all but could be down to the quality of parts.

There's very little plastic on the M37. In fact, I can only think of two items that are plastic: the foresight insert and the butt pad. The rest of the gun is either wood or machined steel.

If you can, compare the trigger groups from an M37 and an 870WM. The Ithaca's is all steel whereas the Remington's is made of bits of "bent tin". (Actually, bent thin sheet steel.) The 870WM even has - [spit] - *rollpins*. Yuck... Although, of course, the 870s *are* nice to shoot.

I wanted a short gun for hide work 24" barrel and have yet to fire it.

I don't like long guns of any sort, so all my shotguns' barrels are about the 24" mark except the the Chiappa 1887 which is 22".

When/What do you use yours for, or do you find them best suited too.

I acquired an eclectic collection of guns when Dad died. I had three destroyed - don't *arsk* - and I gave three away. The bottom DSPS in the first photo was dad's S.2. Since I didn't get into shooting until after he died, I don't know if he actually *used* it. He used to just shoot clays, informally, with a bunch of friends, so I think, like the majority of his guns, that it was just a curiosity.

I asked on the AirgunBBS.com forums about starting shotgunning and, apart from a invite to a local clay club, a PSGer suggested that I join the local PSG club. This, I did and discovered that it was a *great* fun. :)

I started using the Higgins M20 (last photo, top gun) as dad's M37 had no safety catch fitted. (The spring was missing, but I've now made a replacement.) Eventually, I acquired a FAC and was lucky enough to be offered an S.1 DSPS (first photo, top gun).

I used this gun for about a year until I ordered and (eventually) took delivery of the 1887 clone.

Neither of these guns are *good* for PSG but I shoot for *fun* and like to shoot something a little "different"...

What I need to do is to sort out a couple of little niggles with the M37. Viz, the rearsight wanders around in it's dovetail and it drops the odd live round. It *used* to suffer huge numbers of failures to extract, but I managed to persuade Ithaca to ship me a few spare parts and now that issue seems to have been resolved. (I now also give the chamber a quick polish each time I clean the barrel and that seems to have helped the Ithaca's *and* the Chiappa's extraction problems.)

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. One thing that the Chiappa has taught me is that half-choke is good for PSG whereas I can't get the long targets down with the wide pattern of the Ithaca. Whether I can have the Deerslayer's (underbored) barrel threaded for chokes, I don't know.

Edited by ChAoS

I have loads of people to thank first all PW members, first of all those who helped me pick what pump action to get as I was looking for a Classic Gun. I must thank TIGHTCHOKE who very kindly offered to let me try his Ithaca as well as his mates one, he said I could shoot it on one of his permissions and they would spend some time shooting together....will never forget the offer.

I asked Mick Vokes from Kettering (Wabbitbosher) to try to find....what I was told was a very rare gun, I told him everything I wanted in the gun. Less than a week later he turned up the gun below, I was stunned....he said "it's Mint" and below budget?

Mick Vokes below Registered Firearms Dealer (Wabbitbosher) with my Ithaca 37 Featherlight D.S. Police Special 24" barrel 3" Magnum, it even had the wax on the butt plate put on in the factory from new in 1982.....he had wanted to keep it I think?

Very pleased Mick & thanks for everything.

P1030504_zpscd4ad97d.jpg

P1030515_zps9ef7dded.jpg

P1030505_zps3e348977.jpg

P1030507_zps3a228d8e.jpg

You don't need to use the gun for shooting any type of vermin/game, just take that photo of Mick , He'll frighten anything away & keep Kids away from the fire aswell !!!!! :lol: :lol:

At last took it out today.

Started with 30 Clays & missed first 11

Hit then hit 14 out of next 19 thought I would have an hour on a roost afterwards but only fired one shot at a Pigeon.

All in all very pleased, I like clays in woods or over a lake/pond is better for me....I know they are the same, but like the view better.

P1030532_zpsc207e06e.jpg

P1030529_zps5f9d7ed3.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi,

can anyone help me? I have a stunning Ithaca Mod 37 DS police.

I hold it on a section 2 SGC, but I have a slot on my FAC for a sec 1 shotgun.

I want a five shot mag tube, to replace the crimped tube on it so I can transfer it to my FAC.

I can find them in the US but no one will export them.

Are there any over here, or does anyone know any yanks that will ship them.

Also am I allowed to import one? I guess so as they are ony a magazine and not a pressure bearing part.

But any clarification would be appreciated.

Hi,

I want a five shot mag tube, to replace the crimped tube on it so I can transfer it to my FAC.

Also am I allowed to import one? I guess so as they are ony a magazine and not a pressure bearing part.

But any clarification would be appreciated.

I believe you can buy one but have to apply for an import licence for it , I bought a new firing pin from US few years back , month later custom office and our local p.o. at the door and that's what they told me , he then said they would hold it for 14 days then destroy it unless my import licence application had cleared .

Try emailing the Ithaca Gun company directly. They *will* ship parts to the UK:

http://ithacagun.com

A valuable fount of knowledge is the Ithaca Owners forum:

http://www.ithacaowners.com

I imported some non-pressure bearing parts in 2012. I need more parts but I'm having trouble contacting Ithaca. (I may have been put on a blacklist following spoofing of my domain name in spam email addresses.)

However, recently on the owner's forum, a fellow Brit *has* taken delivery of parts shipped from the USA.

Ithaca are renowned for their after-sales service, by the way.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark.

Try emailing the Ithaca Gun company directly. They *will* ship parts to the UK:http://ithacagun.com

A valuable fount of knowledge is the Ithaca Owners forum:http://www.ithacaowners.com

I imported some non-pressure bearing parts in 2012. I need more parts but I'm having trouble contacting Ithaca. (I may have been put on a blacklist following spoofing of my domain name in spam email addresses.)

However, recently on the owner's forum, a fellow Brit *has* taken delivery of parts shipped from the USA.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark.

No problems with customs ?

Try emailing the Ithaca Gun company directly. They *will* ship parts to the UK:

http://ithacagun.com

A valuable fount of knowledge is the Ithaca Owners forum:

http://www.ithacaowners.com

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark.

I would love a deerslayer(rifled) barrell for my Model 37, but I doubt i could get one.

It was I who recently purchased parts direst from Ithaca. No problem obtaining the parts and no problems at all with customs. They were all small parts however, less than 100 dollars worth of springs, pins etc. Pivot pin for the shell stop lever broke, shell stop fell out and the spring was also lost. The replacement pivot pin has also sheared since being replaced, but it failed in such a way that I was able to reuse the part with the screw thread cut in it and just fashioned a pin that is held in place by it.

I love my M37 and it has become the gun I reach for everytime.

It was I who recently purchased parts direst from Ithaca. No problem obtaining the parts and no problems at all with customs. They were all small parts however, less than 100 dollars worth of springs, pins etc. Pivot pin for the shell stop lever broke, shell stop fell out and the spring was also lost. The replacement pivot pin has also sheared since being replaced, but it failed in such a way that I was able to reuse the part with the screw thread cut in it and just fashioned a pin that is held in place by it.

I love my M37 and it has become the gun I reach for everytime.

All I ordered was a firing pin and new spring for my Mossberg b/a , couldn't believe the hassle I got via customs .

I have a Stevens /Savage p/a looks very similar to these Ithaca even the "parkerised" finish instead of blued , always wondered best way of preserving it but already had it about 18 years with no problems just give it coat of oil after cleaning .

Edited by welshwizard

#7 Top Extractor – part # 370007

#8 Bottom Extractor – part # 370008

#9 Bottom Extractor hinge pin – part # 370009

#10 Bottom Extractor Spring – part # 370010

#11 Top Extractor Spring – Part # 370011

#12 Top Extractor Cap – part # 370012

#20 Spring, Spring shell stop – part # 370020

#21 Screw, Spring shell stop – part 370021-scr-2 ¾

These are the parts I purchased, total inc shipping $133.50

No problems with customs ?

Well, as I said, it was 2012 when I imported the stuff.

The answer, though, is "no". I ordered 95 USD of parts and, by the time P&P was added and HMRC had had their cut, it came to 125 GBP. It could've been worse...

I would love a deerslayer(rifled) barrell for my Model 37, but I doubt i could get one.

Ah well, in the UK, that'd make your gun S.5, wouldn't it? (Pump action rifle other than .22LR.)

The replacement pivot pin has also sheared since being replaced, but it failed in such a way that I was able to reuse the part with the screw thread cut in it and just fashioned a pin that is held in place by it.

Ah, yes. Yours was the older type pin, wasn't it?

Have you come across the advice that you do *not* leave them fully tightened when fitting?

As I understand it, the recommended method is to do it up all the way and then back it off by a quarter of a turn. That's wot I *read*, anyway... (I *much* prefer the newer L-shaped wire pin, by the way.)

Regards,

Mark.

I have now ;-)

As usual, t'was the venerable Dave Cook who came to my rescue:

Are you saying the magnet trick worked ?

Well, *sort* of, Dave.

I stripped the gun down and took the threaded portion of the pin out.

Before trying the magnet, I held the stop to prevent the holes becoming mis-aligned, turned the receiver upside-down and tapped the side with a plastic-handled screw-driver.

When I turned the receiver back over, I could see that top of the broken pin was flush with the top of the stop. Because the pin was a bit further out, I could tilt the stop so that I could extract the pin *without* it going through the hole in the receiver.

That's when I used the Magic Hard-Drive Magnet. :)

Here's a tip, though: don't put the magnet down on the bench next to the disassembled parts...

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. The M51's stock bolt is still refusing to come out. :(

Good deal. Now folks have a reference about getting them apart. I thought that might be the case but wasn't 100 % sure. If you consider the overall design, Browning and Pederson thought it through really well. I am sure it was designed so that the pin hole was drilled deep enough just in case this happened and the gun would be able to be disassembled exactly as you discovered.

The pin was never designed to be bottomed out and twisted on. When putting a new one back in, simply screw it in until it touches and then back off 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. (this is what I do). I also put a little dab of grease on the threads to keep corrosion away.

I visually check my guns every time I pick them up. I now think that a monthly or so inspection of the screw and turning it to prevent it from seizing over time just might be prudent for everyone to do.

This is taken from this thread:

http://ithacaowners.com/viewtopic.php?p=9755#p9755

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS