Do u need a sgc to have a shotgun barrel?

syborg

Regardless off your or your friends engineering experience. For my own piece of mind and protection of my life, I would still have the gun reproofed

So many thing can go wrong and it only takes one to go wrong and you've either lost a finger or eye at least or your life.

Laws are there to protect us and others. If experienced gunsmiths have to do it, what makes you think your more knowlegable to be different

There was a long thread on this a while back. The law seems pretty muddy on the whole thing, but there is a specific bit of legislation that was linked to (and I'm not going to dig it out) which stated that you didnt need a ticket to hold a barrel.

Now, that to me as a layman sounds insane, but it is apparently the case.

There was a long thread on this a while back. The law seems pretty muddy on the whole thing, but there is a specific bit of legislation that was linked to (and I'm not going to dig it out) which stated that you didnt need a ticket to hold a barrel.

As said read the long thread poster last month, some members went into detail on it. Seams it's not illegal for S2 parts.

you do need a sgc the law states gun or part there of so any part of a gun counts .

I understand where you are coming from but whichever way you look at that you have got a bit carried away. You do NOT need FAC/SGC for screws/springs/woodwork/etc., so not quite "ANY" part of a gun!

There are also exemptions in the Firearms Acts for people lending guns to other people in some situations, and a FULL member of a Home Office approved club can move/transport guns without any personal FAC/SGC under club official instruction!

Also exemptions for film etc, and a RFD isn't strictly a FAC/SGC holder, they are a RFD.

No doubt there are other exemptions but are we being pedantic here, in principle "I understood" you need a FAC/SGC!

I haven't done anything yet.......And if I do have contact with a reloaded so he will prep me a proof load. Then it will be a very very long piece of string and a bench vise about 7 miles from anywhere

Edited by syborg

I haven't done anything yet.......And if I do have contact with a reloaded so he will prep me a proof load. Then it will be a very very long piece of string and a bench vise about 7 miles from anywhere

There's no such thing as a reloaders proof load, unless you are working to a known over pressure recipe and measuring the barrel before and after then you'll not be achieving anything. I understand that a proof is achieved at something like 50% above max working pressure.

You can raise pressures significantly by using more shot than a recipe calls for but unless it is measured in some form it's pointless. A proper proof test is about £40-60 depending how much of a hurry you are in. Money well spent.

Categorically you do not need a certificate for a shotgun barrel or any other component part of a shotgun

Thats directly from Bill Harriman in shooting times.

As for the original poster be very careful, a proof test would be advisable but they are your hands and you are only issued two, personally proof is £25 well spent

Link provided earlier in thread for anyone looking