Hide poles

Just received a set I ordered from a1 decoys £25 pound in a bag they said they are high quality but they are definitely not one of the twist locks was cracked when I opened them have e mailed them anyway so will wait for a reply I had some jack pyke ones before and they where just as cheap so be carefull I would maybe go to a local gun shop so you can check the quality of them as unless you see them it's hard to tell or maybe go to a gamefair and see what's on offer. Would definitely stay away from the jack pyke or ones on offer at A1

I just use two walking sticks that you could probably get from Argos. They extend to 1m 30cm so cover you well when sat down and then allows you to stand up and shoot if you want. They are not massively expensive and are light so they are easy to carry on the side of my bergan and they are only about two foot long un-extended! They don't break easily and you can just use black clips to hold the net onto the poles!

But why are you so keen to push the poles in to the ground when a couple of guy ropes and a tent peg or two will make the hide steadier?

Quite right! As I have previously said I use walking stick that only go an inch or two into the ground and I keep some para-cord and pegs to stable the wind! as long as the net and cord is taught the poles shouldn't fall over!

If you had lived near me I would of knocked you up a set. Use mild steel tube at work. I made a set of basha poles for a mate, they are heavy but you drive them down a ft deep if you wanted to. I like the idea someone mentioned before about the hazel poles, sharpen the bottom and add a couple of notches only cost is your time.

Ive been using hazel sticks as hide poles since I started shooting 25yrs ago but I think Im going to buy some extendable since the frozen groud of late has been bending my sticks, but the last i cut have lasted me years and accounted for many many hides as said totally free.