Air Pro Spinning Decoys, How Do You Get On With Them?

I bought a Magnet last year and it came with a couple of the spinning wing jobs, i manage to get the birds coming in to these, but only shot a handful of times.

I was reading someones post about these on the Forum and people generally said they were poor. Hopefully i will be Pigeon shooting much more this year, and have been out a few times over the last week. Reading the bad reviews on them i have been putting Real birds on the Magnet, i know the birds are not Decoying that well yet, but thought i would get the best results with the real thing. But the first 2 days i used the dead birds i could not get any to flight into the magnet, so today i thought i would try the Spinning ones again. To my surprise i managed to get some to fly into the Air Pros.

Please let me know how you all get on with them, not it you tried them once and put them aside , but members who have given them a real test.

Did i just get lucky and those birds would have come into either, its so hard to say without further testing.

post-62887-0-17750900-1362339477.jpg

I had some for a while , I did manage to pull a few with them but have always done much better with dead birds , also the noise of the airpros drove me nuts .

Pigeons will decoy different on different days so I would guess that on the days your airpros have pulled them dead birds would have pulled more.

Wow I thought it was just me, I bought two for the magnet, complete failure, birds wouldnt come but as soon as I changed them for dead birds back they came, I also tried mounting them on pegs but if the wind is low they wont spin, but when they do you can hear them from the hide, now I just leave the wings off and stick them out with the decoys, ah well you cant win them all :no:

People moan about the noise they make. By the time the pigeons notice the noise, they should be dead.

I dont think people moan about the noise because it scares the pigeons , more because it drives you nuts with the constant rattling

i bought some a couple of years ago did not have much luck with them, they seemed to make to much noise and they were scareing the pigeons away so i bought the hypa flaps. what an improvement u could see them pulling the pigeons in from over 1/2 a mile away so if iwas u i would buy some hypa flaps u wount be disapointed m8

Got a pair of these at the shooting show and have used them a few times now and so far so good, like any moving decoy they work best on crops where you struggle to get the decoys seen, ie. green crops or anything that decoys blend into, i have used mine on fresh drillings recently and it just scares them away. At one time i would put my rotary out as a matter of course when setting up, now i only use it if nothing is working, on drillings it is just too visible and spooks the birds. My normal set up is 15 dead birds and the turbo flapper on a button, only using the rotary as a last resort. The air-pro's are a great bit of kit and in the right situation will pull pigeons, but dont expect them to work on every occasion.

Just to come back on wings that do not spin, i had one set that did and one that didnt, i found that one wing was out of balance so balanced it up with a bit of shot stuck on with sellotape, works perfect now. I contacted the suppliers and they sent me a new pair of wings anyway. If the wings are not equally balanced they will not spin freely.

Just to come back on wings that do not spin, i had one set that did and one that didnt, i found that one wing was out of balance so balanced it up with a bit of shot stuck on with sellotape, works perfect now. I contacted the suppliers and they sent me a new pair of wings anyway. If the wings are not equally balanced they will not spin freely.

Also check where the wing bar goes thru the body, if you fix the wings too close to the body they can touch and create friction, also a squirt of something lubricating will help the spinning.

• 3 years later...

I mounted a small electric motor in a plastic decoy and drove a shaft to which I mounted two cut out foam wings with a large white flash on one side which simply rotated. The woodies that came almost landed on top of it. It does not require any wind either :-) BUT as we all know, nothing works every/all the time.

I have these, they do work well for me, the noise is not a problem as i do not have a magnet close to my hide?

I will always use dead birds if I feel the need to change etc as said pigeons are unpredictable and you have to keep changing until something works.. and then as soon as that stops change again ! lol

good luck

Nice to see an OLD thread getting an airing! :rolleyes:

Yes, just looked at those whirly wing decoys at the Stoneleigh show and then brought up this thread from the past to see what members thought of them. My motorised one works fine but the wind powered would allow more than just one in the pattern with less weight to carry. I know my American friends have some success with the duck versions.