.22LR Sub vs Rabbit @ ~60/80yrds

Drongo

Out tonight, and took 3 rabbits of my permission...

Prepping them at home I tore my gloves (I hate stinky rabbit hands) on something sharp where there's shouldn't be something sharp...

Had a poke about the chest cavity and found this, which had entered just behind right eye then deflected down and stopped.

First time ever I've found lead left in a bunny...

c0c3ed0c2751b11280a605455ce02dfd_zpsb016c80f.jpg

Yeah, Quite common - used to keep a collection of recovered bullets CCI segmenting certainly do what it says on the box 3 sections and the base recovered on quite a few occasions. Never got a lapua sub out of a bunny but had them out of hares ( I use these almost exclusively but they are not very frangible). Hmr fragments have turned up in unusual places. Also had a few with healed up airgun pellets in quarry, shotgun pellets are very normal in Hares round these parts - why do people feel a light game load is suitable for such a large quarry going away :rolleyes:?

Yeah, Quite common - used to keep a collection of recovered bullets CCI segmenting certainly do what it says on the box 3 sections and the base recovered on quite a few occasions. Never got a lapua sub out of a bunny but had them out of hares ( I use these almost exclusively but they are not very frangible). Hmr fragments have turned up in unusual places. Also had a few with healed up airgun pellets in quarry, shotgun pellets are very normal in Hares round these parts - why do people feel a light game load is suitable for such a large quarry going away :rolleyes:?

I have had quite a few hares the same with 6 shot in the back legs just under the fur.

I shall just correct myself a bit here, seen hares and bigger with airgun pellets- never a rabbit yet, I think they might just expire down their holes. One hare in particular comes to mind, it was full grown but very skinny in the middle of summer a year or two back. I watched it for some while and discussed it with a mate ( it was at my place) now I don't shoot them in summer but this one just wasn't looking too hot and I thought it was maybe the best to shoot it. On autopsy examination I was expecting to find parasites or similar but what I found was a .22 cal FTT airgun pellet in the saddle it had been in a while and looked well enough healed but I strongly suspect it was actually suffering from lead poisoning as pure blood poisoning is normally faster and more messy. About half the normal weight a total bag of bones, liver a bit pale

Never found any lead in a bunny as I shoot them in the head. Wait for a side shot and bingo lead free. Anything else just ruins meat for the pot.

that bullet of mine is from a headshot, migrated down spine under skin with no meat damage at all

I shall just correct myself a bit here, seen hares and bigger with airgun pellets- never a rabbit yet, I think they might just expire down their holes.

The one I'm thinking about had a .22 pellet in the top of its rump. It was close to the surface causing a hard lump which I felt when I handled it, but the muscle had completely re-grown around it so it must have been there some time. I cut it out and it was a perfect pellet, not deformed at all. You could have put it in a gun and re-fired it.

Saying that the rabbit was a bit gormless and none too alert. Just sitting there hunched up looking despondant. I thought it had myxy so I shot it. When I picked it up it turned out to be an old snaggle toothed raggedy buck with torn ears, bald patches and scars everywhere. I put its sluggishness down to being a very old man who'd had a tough life, but maybe it was suffering from lead poisoning. I hope not. Poor old boy looked like he'd fought enough battles.

Last Hare I prepped had several six shot in the thighs. If I think I may get a shot at one when roughshooting I always make sure I use 4 shot of a decent load weight.

Never found anything bigger than a 6, certainly not .22 LR! I have seen rabbits with a dogleg shaped wound channel when using .177. In at the head and out below the shoulder.

The one I'm thinking about had a .22 pellet in the top of its rump. It was close to the surface causing a hard lump which I felt when I handled it, but the muscle had completely re-grown around it so it must have been there some time. I cut it out and it was a perfect pellet, not deformed at all. You could have put it in a gun and re-fired it.

Saying that the rabbit was a bit gormless and none too alert. Just sitting there hunched up looking despondant. I thought it had myxy so I shot it. When I picked it up it turned out to be an old snaggle toothed raggedy buck with torn ears, bald patches and scars everywhere. I put its sluggishness down to being a very old man who'd had a tough life, but maybe it was suffering from lead poisoning. I hope not. Poor old boy looked like he'd fought enough battles.

my thoughts exactly " lead poisoning" seen it in a Hare- oops already said that! :blush:

Edited by kent