pulsar DFA75

ricky green

Been out with mine fitted and zeroed on my Daystate Air Ranger this weekend gone and accounted for four rabbits it an area where lamping is out of the question all taken between 40 and 65 metres. I have mounted an ir800 on mine by bonding a short section approx 30mm in length of Weaver rail to the RHS of the body using a compound we use at work on car bodypanels, I have done the same with my Yukon Ranger NV viewing kit which has proved very successful for the past three years and improved viewing and detection by I would estimate 70%, we did have a lighter ir unit fitted to start with which we imported from Canada this was more than adequate and all we do now is swap them around the two units depending on how we are operating . However the ir 800 is superior by far if you can cope with the weight and we use the adjustable mount which is available to adjust the beam alignment to your requirement , well worth the cost, need a weaver rail to fit it to.

Do you know if the software update will be available for the first units?

Not sure how to post a photo on the forum but if you want one to see how we have done it come back to me and I will try to do it.

If you want anymore info ask and I will help if I can as we try to go out once a week so learning all the time. Mounting tightness has improved a fair bit with usage and the PTFE lube

Good to hear your continued success, I have yet to hear anyone not raving about the Night Master 800 IR units

I enquired whether the DFA75 software upgrade could be retrospective the answer was no and they have removed the USB port from their current range of products. I have to say this is a bad move they can't expect purchasers to sell their older unit and buy a newer version every few months / years, far better for the company to support customers and build upon their loyalty base. Even an option to return a unit for upgrade would be better than nothing but these days an internet download would not be beyond most owners.

What's the body panel compound you use Eddie ?

Edited by photopro

• 1 month later...

I've had a DFA 75 now for a number of months being one of the first in the UK to purchase one. How often do I use it? I don't! The unit is currently zeroed to an air rifle, but to be honest I don't like it and I've been really disappointed with it to the point where I would say that it has currently been my single most expensive waste of money.

I've had a DFA 75 now for a number of months being one of the first in the UK to purchase one. How often do I use it? I don't! The unit is currently zeroed to an air rifle, but to be honest I don't like it and I've been really disappointed with it to the point where I would say that it has currently been my single most expensive waste of money.

Good to hear an honest opinion !

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry you have had a bad experience with the DFA. Call Thomas Jacks and they will replace it free of charge with the updated version, which is simple to set up and has enhanced features. I have been using one for a few days and it is impressive. I had one of the originals, and did not have any real issues with that, but this new model is easier to use and it holds it's zero perfectly. There is new software that allows you to just dial in your zero from the menu, and the unit does everything else for you. It would appear that Pulsar have finally got it right. If any body needs advice, contact Paul at Scott Country or Jamie at Thomas Jacks who as usual are extremely helpful................No I am not employed by them!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I have just joined the forum and thought that maybe you would like my input.

I have just purchased the new improved? DFA75. I had read about the problems with the first version so held off buying one till V2 came out. having unboxed it all and fitted the adaptor the my scope I found that there was NO WAY I could fit the attachment to the adaptor. It seemed to be 2-3mm too long to be able to get it to turn and lock. What a disappointment this was. I called Scottcountry where I brought it only to be told "keep trying, it will get easier the more you use it". Tried again, still no luck. On closer inspection of the part that fits onto the scope I noticed three small lugs where the fits into, these were 2-3mm long so I thought, what the hell and cut them off with a Stanley knife. PROBLEM SOLVED! I can now fit and lock the unit into place. It just remains for me to see that it will hold it's zero, it should, as it's still a tight fit.

The only other thing I have noticed is that the display is good on my 6x magnification BUT I can only see half the status display at the bottom of the scree.n, it makes no difference if I reduce the magnification to X3.

I had an email from Jamie at Thomasjacks after complaining to Pulsar directly, told him what the problem was and he is looking into it because it seems that I am not the only one with this problem.

I'll post again when and if we get this sorted. Until then, I hope that this may help anyone thinking of buying the new "improved" version

Hi,

The insert is supposed to sit behind these lugs, not on them. They need to be pushed in all the way round, with the gap at the bottom. Your lack of view of the menu could be to do with this change in distance between the scope's lens and that of the DFA. I use two identical Bushnell scopes 2.5 to 16 mag, and up to 7x have no problem viewing all of the menu. The DFA has been on and off my two rifles numerous times without any loss of zero whatsoever ( rimfire and FAC air rifle). I used the automatic zero of 50m and holdover and holdunder from 30m out to 75m are minimal. I think the instructions are at fault here as they do not clarify the correct procedure for fitting the inserts. I had one of the first DFAs and had no real issues with that. Thomas Jacks did change it for the second version, which I have used extensively and find it a superb piece of gear.............just remember to get the inserts properly fitted.

Sorry Yarns, Maybe you misunderstood me. It's not the inserts that seem to be the problem. It's where the unit fits into the part that fitted onto the scope. I was unable to push the unit in far enough to be able to twist it and lock it into position. Jamie at Thomas jacks emailed me and this was his reply

(As well as releasing a new version of the Forward DFA, pulsar released new versions of the cover ring adaptors to.

The difference between the old and new adaptor is the inclusion of the three little lugs to act as a mechanical spring and improve the secure fit of the adaptor to the DFA)

All i'm saying is that there was no way I could fit and lock the 2 parts together without cutting off the 3 lugs.

Scottcountry told me that I am not the only person suffering this problem with the new version of the dfa75. Hopefully someone will sort it all out soon.

Hi Dickelliott..........you do seem to behaving some bad luck with the adaptor and inserts. Have you put the inserts in the adaptor with the thinner end going in first. This end would have gone behind the lugs. I must say that this does make for a tight squeeze to get it on the scope. After fiddling around with getting the horizontal reticule to become parallel with the scope's, I closed the clamp and then tightened up the hex bolt on the clamp very tightly. The unit has been on and off the two rifles loads of times with no shift in zero. One thing I have noticed, is that try as hard as you like it is near on impossible to get the unit's vertical reticule to match that of the scope............as long as you get it near enough and parallel, it will be OK. Just pressing the main menu button with the unit's horizon mode on, will push the vertical over........so I cannot see a lot of use in it. As I have said, just get it near enough and parallel. Hope you get it all sorted.......any problems seem to revolve around the adaptor and inserts............the unit itself has performed faultlessly for me so far.

• 1 month later...