Charity Shoot Location Poll - Votes Needed!

Teal

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As (I think) the one who suggested Grange Farm I have voted for that one. Have shot both grounds and I'll grant you Grimsthorpe is the more picturesque ground but not by much. The facilities (clubhouse & catering) are about the same, the catering staff at Grange are really friendly.

Both grounds are capable of putting on world class targets and Grimsthorpe in particular is well noted for their targets, which ladies and gentlemen means they could be tough!! A positive asset if we're trying to decide a British champion, we are not, we are a mixed bunch ranging from the current England Sporting Team Captain to guys who may not have ever shot clays before, plenty of pigeons but no clays. IMHO the shoot should be tailored to suit all abilities, the best will always win whatever the degree of difficulty. So the Eds & Cats shoot high 90s but the occasional rough shooter, the relative newcomer, the club clay shooter may shoot in the 60s or even 70s and go away with a smile. Better that than the cream in the 80s and the others in the 30s and 40s and no smile in sight.

This is Pigeon Watch not Shoot Clay the average member here wants to turn up (with or without hangover) meet fellow forum members, raise a goodly sum for charity and as said before drive home with a grin. They don't want to be battered by a layout that would test the very best. I'm not saying Grimsthorpe couldn't put on the right level of shoot, I'm saying don't vote for it on the basis that they can put on world class targets.

As I said earlier I've voted for Grange Farm and the primary reason, other than the breakfast, is it's so easy to get to, it's about 10 mins off the M1 (think it's Jnc 22) whereas I find Grimsthorpe a royal pain in the ***, admittedly you are driving through some beautiful countryside but for mile upon mile upon mile....

Vote Grange, you know it makes sense.

Mr Potter

:lol: :D

As (I think) the one who suggested Grange Farm I have voted for that one. Have shot both grounds and I'll grant you Grimsthorpe is the more picturesque ground but not by much. The facilities (clubhouse & catering) are about the same, the catering staff at Grange are really friendly.

Both grounds are capable of putting on world class targets and Grimsthorpe in particular is well noted for their targets, which ladies and gentlemen means they could be tough!! A positive asset if we're trying to decide a British champion, we are not, we are a mixed bunch ranging from the current England Sporting Team Captain to guys who may not have ever shot clays before, plenty of pigeons but no clays. IMHO the shoot should be tailored to suit all abilities, the best will always win whatever the degree of difficulty. So the Eds & Cats shoot high 90s but the occasional rough shooter, the relative newcomer, the club clay shooter may shoot in the 60s or even 70s and go away with a smile. Better that than the cream in the 80s and the others in the 30s and 40s and no smile in sight.

This is Pigeon Watch not Shoot Clay the average member here wants to turn up (with or without hangover) meet fellow forum members, raise a goodly sum for charity and as said before drive home with a grin. They don't want to be battered by a layout that would test the very best. I'm not saying Grimsthorpe couldn't put on the right level of shoot, I'm saying don't vote for it on the basis that they can put on world class targets.

As I said earlier I've voted for Grange Farm and the primary reason, other than the breakfast, is it's so easy to get to, it's about 10 mins off the M1 (think it's Jnc 22) whereas I find Grimsthorpe a royal pain in the ***, admittedly you are driving through some beautiful countryside but for mile upon mile upon mile....

Mr Potter

:yes::good:

Also closer to "Hooters"

Edited by Yellow Bear

Mr Potter

Blimey Grange Farm must have changed an awful lot then if you feel they are similar! :no:

As Mr p said we are going to have a good drink meet new friends and hopefully hit a clay, I'm for grimsthorpe due to shift patterns I cannot attend the other venue but I'm sure there's a lot more members that are opposite of this , whatever the venue its for a good cause..

I may struggle to make either date this year, as I could be out of the UK on both of those dates, won't know for sure until a bit nearer the time. :blush:

Grimsthorpe is by far the better ground in terms of target quality, but, it's location is a bit remote, Grange Farm would be easier to get too for most, and for those staying overnight, a better choice of "cheap" hotels, (and local nightlife)..?

However, these are Charity Shoots, the name of the game is to get as many people there as possible, target quality is of secondary importance, so my vote goes for Grange Farm. :good:

Cat.

I may struggle to make either date this year, as I could be out of the UK on both of those dates, won't know for sure until a bit nearer the time. :blush:

Grimsthorpe is by far the better ground in terms of target quality, but, it's location is a bit remote, Grange Farm would be easier to get too for most, and for those staying overnight, a better choice of "cheap" hotels, (and local nightlife)..?

However, these are Charity Shoots, the name of the game is to get as many people there as possible, target quality is of secondary importance, so my vote goes for Grange Farm. :good:

Cat.

that will do me :lol: :lol:

No issues with those that don't know if they can make it yet and obviously those that cannot make one of the dates are going to vote for the date/location they can attend. Not sure I'm all that comfortable with those voting for either location who have either declared they are not attending or have no intention of attending.

Surely the poll for location should be confined to those who either are committed to attend or have every intention of attending if circumstances allow.

When it comes to the poll for the charity I guess that anyone who intends to donate, even if they aren't present on the day, should cast a vote but would be puzzled by someone trying to influence which charity we support who has no intention of putting their hand in their pocket.

Gets a bit contentious this charity lark doesn't it!!

Mr Potter

No issues with those that don't know if they can make it yet and obviously those that cannot make one of the dates are going to vote for the date/location they can attend. Not sure I'm all that comfortable with those voting for either location who have either declared they are not attending or have no intention of attending.

Surely the poll for location should be confined to those who either are committed to attend or have every intention of attending if circumstances allow.

I have to agree, if you are definitely not going then you should note really vote as it does not matter to you where it is to be held, but your vote might mean someone missing out who would come.

When it comes to the poll for the charity I guess that anyone who intends to donate, even if they aren't present on the day, should cast a vote but would be puzzled by someone trying to influence which charity we support who has no intention of putting their hand in their pocket.

Gets a bit contentious this charity lark doesn't it!!

Mr Potter

Yes you are correct in what you have said.

I cannot make either date this year, but voted, just felt the right thing to do, but was a little silly in hindsight. :blush::oops:

I still intend to help as much as I can.

Apologies, Teal please delete my vote.

Terry

Some really good shooting grounds are on working farms and the owners are rightly more interested in earning a crust rather than setting up websites that they would never find time to update. I'd rather have a good shooting ground than a good website. from Auntie.

agreed,but if thety are going to bother with an online presence , my complaint though is that they put in on facebook rather than the internet.

Edited by Canis

agreed,but if thety are going to bother with an online presence , my complaint though is that they put in on facebook rather than the internet.

Facebook is on the internet........................ Type the shooting ground name into google and it will bring up the facebook page!

But facebook doesnt charge for setting up a page, a website can cost anything from £250 upwards to set up, plus a yearly fee (i think) so straight away the owner is saving money by advertising on facebook rather than have a website. Most major companies/Organisations are using facebook as the best way of advertising!