So what is better nowadays?

unapalomablanca

Well, most of us talk about 'the good old days' and how much better things were. I often think this but wonder how much nostalgia clouds the facts. Anyway lets all put down ONE thing that we think IS better today. I will start the ball rolling with the undoubted improvement in.......

THE MOTOR CAR

Regards. una.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mum and a neighbour bleat on about the good old days…..I mentioned the cinder bog at the end of the garden, no hot water only from a copper boiler, my Gran having to walk home from Chelmsford as the buses were not running because they were trying to bomb the Hoffman bearing factory….

Oh the good old days….they soon shut up lol

TEH

I would say the internet.

You can find out any info that you need or wont to know, (And much ya don't)

You can go on forums like this, Ask advice, swap ideas,Make new friends.

Shop when you like, without all the walking around and people getting In your way.

hmmmm, i'd disagree with cars and tv being better, older cars are easier and cheaper to fix, my plasma telly doesn't have as good a quality picture as my old crt telly, although it is bigger, there's still beggar all worth watching :lol:

Really, i remember going out in a car as a hit or miss affair. How can you seriously think that a car is less reliable than yesteryear? As for your t.v. gag, have you heard of LG or Sony. Crystal clear.

Really, i remember going out in a car as a hit or miss affair. How can you seriously think that a car is less reliable than yesteryear? As for your t.v. gag, have you heard of LG or Sony. Crystal clear.

yes, really. i don't know what car you're used to so can't comment, but i could do a head gasket on an old car in a day easy, they were built with repairs in mind instead of just binning and replacing the whole engine.

the telly in question is a panasonic, so not cheap.

murderers, they are really coming on leaps and bounds these days. In the olden days you just had to wear a top-hat and stab a few prostitutes to get in the paper nowa-day you arnt anybody unless you score a century armed with nothing but a spoon and a mankini :)

Edited by pimpkiller

yes, really. i don't know what car you're used to so can't comment, but i could do a head gasket on an old car in a day easy, they were built with repairs in mind instead of just binning and replacing the whole engine.

the telly in question is a panasonic, so not cheap.

ok. you have to admit electronic ignition was a massive improvement.

Mountain bikes..

I am only young but looking at pictures of my old feller when he went biking at my age.. I am glad of suspension, light frames, huge choice of tyres, self sealing innertubes, quick release wheels/seats etc etc...

Health&safety in the work place. Gets on your nerves sometimes but there are a lot less deaths and serious injuries.

Communications, being able to talk and look at someone on the screen the other side of the world in realtime cheaply.

Figgy

Change isn't always good.....

Cars...as already mentioned designed to be repaired by specially trained "Technicians" now rather than the owners.

I used to have a Triumph 2000 TC... could do a clutch change on one of them in 2Hrs flat. Try doing the same job on a modern car in that time.

also...remember when we had factories filled with people who had things called jobs....these people made things that had a special badge that said MADE IN ENGLAND for other people to buy.......nowadays these factories are gone...usually moved abroad and made by foreign workers being paid a pittance or are made by robots, so no one has jobs any more.....unless you are one of them people that work in the call centres where all the other people ring up to complain about the rubbish products that are cheaply made.

Worse still is that those foreigners are now over here in droves taking away from us what little work is available by driving down rates and wage levels 'cos they'll work for peanuts.

Privatization....Yeah that's good too....NOT.....Fantastic how these big companies announce Millions in profit every year, yet we still end up paying more and more for stuff....the only winners are the shareholders because they come first.