So what is better nowadays?

unapalomablanca

Health&safety in the work place. Gets on your nerves sometimes but there are a lot less deaths and serious injuries.

Communications, being able to talk and look at someone on the screen the other side of the world in realtime cheaply.

Figgy

i agree with both of these. I hear the old boys at work going on about the 'good old days' of building sites. No proper toilets, no bait cabins, no safety footwear, anybody could put scaffolding up, the list goes on. It doesnt sound alot of fun to me!

I think that leisure activities in general seem to be more within the reach of the working man these days, I know my dad says he couldnt afford to do the amount of shooting that i do, but then, he had 2 kids to raise!

I think hand tools arnt as good these days, iv got loads of old hammers, axes and spades from the 60s and 70s that are far superior to anything that is made today.

No doubt when im old il be telling the 'young uns' how good my youth was!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mobile phone, Internet. Don't agree with the car thing. Used to be able to work on a car easily, you could actually see what you were looking for, and 99.9% you could diagnose a fault with an in line 12v bulb. plugs points timing.

You could go out and leave the door unlocked

Women and old folk could go out at night

General discipline of youngsters

Respect for your elders

Less teenage girls popping out kids for houses

You wanted something you saved for it, you didn't have companies throwing cash at you and getting you into debt

More jobs to go around

Price of fuel

Yadda yadda yadda

:shaun:

Health service, technology, less people dieing through poverty, plastic surgery, films, rotocoy, communication, diversity, travel, education and that's in my lifetime of 24years lol these taken on a whole their are bound to be instances which don't fit into these trends. Things what have got worse: spelling, employment, crime, common sense, rationalism, house prices, opportunities,

Health service, technology, less people dieing through poverty, plastic surgery, films, rotocoy, communication, diversity, travel, education and that's in my lifetime of 24years lol these taken on a whole their are bound to be instances which don't fit into these trends. Things what have got worse: spelling, employment, crime, common sense, rationalism, house prices, opportunities,

High streets were better as in we had them.

Not any more charity shops and boarded up empty shops.

Immigration was better years ago you needed a reason to live hear and claim anything, now just live in any member country and what's ours is yours for free.

Watch a seventies film like the carry on films and you see just how much has changed.

Traffic or lack of it was definitely better.

Figgy

Change isn't always good.....

Cars...as already mentioned designed to be repaired by specially trained "Technicians" now rather than the owners.

I used to have a Triumph 2000 TC... could do a clutch change on one of them in 2Hrs flat. Try doing the same job on a modern car in that time.

also...remember when we had factories filled with people who had things called jobs....these people made things that had a special badge that said MADE IN ENGLAND for other people to buy.......nowadays these factories are gone...usually moved abroad and made by foreign workers being paid a pittance or are made by robots, so no one has jobs any more.....unless you are one of them people that work in the call centres where all the other people ring up to complain about the rubbish products that are cheaply made.

Worse still is that those foreigners are now over here in droves taking away from us what little work is available by driving down rates and wage levels 'cos they'll work for peanuts.

Privatization....Yeah that's good too....NOT.....Fantastic how these big companies announce Millions in profit every year, yet we still end up paying more and more for stuff....the only winners are the shareholders because they come first.

Plus 1 :good:

Id Like too add Animal care to the list.

this seems a lot better today,

Unlike some of you Gents I'm not old enough to remember too far back (I'm 33)

But I love History, I'm a big fan of local History.

But even going back 15-20 years ago, i can remember Dog wondering around the local streets. Its very rare you see that around here anymore.

As Iv posted before I keep chickens, Well I own quite a few old books about chickens, Looking after them, Keeping them. even have one for farmers was was wrote just after the 2nd world war, Some of the things that were the "Norm" back then would not cut it today.

So I would say we take more care of our animals now, Too me that's a good thing.

Well, most of us talk about 'the good old days' and how much better things were. I often think this but wonder how much nostalgia clouds the facts. Anyway lets all put down ONE thing that we think IS better today. I will start the ball rolling with the undoubted improvement in.......

THE MOTOR CAR

Regards. una.

I disagree, cars are going backwards from their peak around a decade ago. Plastic, glued construction too much computer rubbish and other useless gadgets- developed by marketing people! everything seems to be going throw away

Some Good photos at the link, Might be of interest to some that have posted on this thread.

On the production line in the 20s and 30s: Forgotten photographs chart the progress of industry at castings company in Derby

Cars maybe more complicated nowadays but the pay off with the extra security safery and increase in general power, has to be an improvement.

I own a 2011 freelander 2 and a 1995 Disco 1.

Yes the disco is easier to change, fuel pump in 5 mins last weekend. Just not sure i would like to be in it during a major accident.

Cars maybe more complicated nowadays but the pay off with the extra security safery and increase in general power, has to be an improvement.

I own a 2011 freelander 2 and a 1995 Disco 1.

Yes the disco is easier to change, fuel pump in 5 mins last weekend. Just not sure i would like to be in it during a major accident.

no they need traction control ASR to stay on the road, distract you with stupid driving tips. Its like that pathetic audi advert about how many decisions it makes - don't tell you how many bad ones it makes does it now! Power increase? not were it matters down on the road. Security great, fantastic so they now bust into your household when the wife and kids are alone in house house for the keys all tooled up. Safety? maybe but the darn things get written off with the slightest bump and that costs us all in increased insurance and hassle

Edited by kent

???

hmmmm, i'd disagree with cars and tv being better, older cars are easier and cheaper to fix, my plasma telly doesn't have as good a quality picture as my old crt telly, although it is bigger, there's still beggar all worth watching :lol:

I quite agree! Old cars had more character and were a doddle to repair. Now.with all the electronic gizmos its.a pain in the ***** and.costs a fortune to repair.

Also I had OLD cars that were excellent on fuel and I mean 50 mpg on PETROL. Now you get car manufacturers boasting super MPG of 45MPG ???

Metals in the engines changed to make.them lighter and more fuel efficient "one moment while I laugh up my sleeve" My old cross flow engine in my fiesta mk1 did over 128.000 miles and bar adjusting the tappits and regular oil changes was fantastic.

The Renault 21 engined Volvo 340 was excellent too. 1.7 petrol engine offering OVER 50mpg and again NEVER a problem. Well.actually the Carb failed but after a new one.from the scrappy it carried right on to 180.000 miles.

My Mk1 astra mk 2 astra mk3 astra

My mk 2 and mk3 cavaliers

Heck! Even my Rickman Ranger all had fantastic engines and were all a doddle to fix!

Bought a few new cars post 2001 and.every one has been a pill. The worst being the Vauxhall Agila 1.2 twin port

At 23.000 needed a new cam chain. This.was allegedly changed from belt to chain for longer service intervals "yeah right"

27.000 new rear wheel bearings.

Just under 30.000 the head gasket, water pump, chain set again.

Under.40.000 the valve lifters the cam followers

42.000 the valve guides went. At this point.I had spent.1000s and was sick to death of it. Sold it and bought a 1995 cavalier. That was 2 year ago and the Cavalier is still going brilliantly. Only had to.service it.

The cars debate reminded me of a guy complaining about Skoda changing from the old rear engine Czech designed car to a more modern design and moaning that: "You won't be able to change the engine on a muddy campsite in that new thing." To which the salesman replied: "You won't have to. That's the point."

Anyway, back to the point; Women. A lot tastier now than the olden days:

Then:

norabatty.jpg

Now:

Carol+Vorderman+Claire+Sweeney+seen+leaving+xo-er711gkul.jpg

The cars debate reminded me of a guy complaining about Skoda changing from the old rear engine Czech designed car to a more modern design and moaning that: "You won't be able to change the engine on a muddy campsite in that new thing." To which the salesman replied: "You won't have to. That's the point."

Anyway, back to the point; Women. A lot tastier now than the olden days:

Then:

norabatty.jpg

Now:

Carol+Vorderman+Claire+Sweeney+seen+leaving+xo-er711gkul.jpg

Nowt wrong wi wor Nora :good:

I quite agree! Old cars had more character and were a doddle to repair. Now.with all the electronic gizmos its.a pain in the ***** and.costs a fortune to repair.

Also I had OLD cars that were excellent on fuel and I mean 50 mpg on PETROL. Now you get car manufacturers boasting super MPG of 45MPG ???

Metals in the engines changed to make.them lighter and more fuel efficient "one moment while I laugh up my sleeve" My old cross flow engine in my fiesta mk1 did over 128.000 miles and bar adjusting the tappits and regular oil changes was fantastic.

The Renault 21 engined Volvo 340 was excellent too. 1.7 petrol engine offering OVER 50mpg and again NEVER a problem. Well.actually the Carb failed but after a new one.from the scrappy it carried right on to 180.000 miles.

My Mk1 astra mk 2 astra mk3 astra

My mk 2 and mk3 cavaliers

Heck! Even my Rickman Ranger all had fantastic engines and were all a doddle to fix!

Bought a few new cars post 2001 and.every one has been a pill. The worst being the Vauxhall Agila 1.2 twin port

At 23.000 needed a new cam chain. This.was allegedly changed from belt to chain for longer service intervals "yeah right"

27.000 new rear wheel bearings.

Just under 30.000 the head gasket, water pump, chain set again.

Under.40.000 the valve lifters the cam followers

42.000 the valve guides went. At this point.I had spent.1000s and was sick to death of it. Sold it and bought a 1995 cavalier. That was 2 year ago and the Cavalier is still going brilliantly. Only had to.service it.

I dont know about this 50mpg claim. i really dont.