Have you been Priced-Out of the sport?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not that great at clays but enjoy the odd haybailer, still bloody dear though, £20ish for a hundred birds plus carts. or if i venture to the local club in deighton it's 35p a clay, that's a hell of a mark up.

You're not just paying 35p for the clay, though..traps, batteries, power, water, insurance, tax, wages, ground rent, buildings, paths, fences, spares & repairs etc etc etc....Commercial grounds have a lot higher costs than the haybailers that are generally run on a shoestring with a lot of free labour.

I,ve not long taken up the sport and have joined a small clay club (diy if you like) 20 quid a year and 5 quid for 50 clays and have carts for 4.50 a box. Its just up the road and only a limited amount of members. Would highly reccomend finding one near you, great comradery and learn about setting up the traps etc.

I won't be shooting as much this year as I have in previous years, passed on Lambton this year.

Will be shooting some charity shoots in spring/summer and try to get to the north of England selection shoots.

Shooting less than half the practice clays for last few months and this is likely to continue.

To shoot non local registered shoots its a minimum of £100.00

Figgy

Generally only shoot once a month myself which will be 100 sporting inc cartridges, clay costs, fuel and a bit to eat and a brew or two, me and my mate worked it out between £50-£55 a time. I used to shoot more often but with that type of costs and what I earn then it has to be about once a month, yes I could get the prices down by shooting grounds more local to myself and using cheaper cartridges etc, but I would rather enjoy my day rather than thinking how I have had to scrimp on costs to shoot more often. I also shoot on a weekly basis small bore rifles and once a month full bore rifles as well as shooting over land when I can. As for registered shoots not bothered with more expense my competition is with myself to improve not with everybody else but everybody to there own

i'm not that great at clays but enjoy the odd haybailer, still bloody dear though, £20ish for a hundred birds plus carts. or if i venture to the local club in deighton it's 35p a clay, that's a hell of a mark up.

Pay and play at Bisley is cheaper at 33p per clay :good: BB

I haven't been priced out of the sport yet but I do shoot quite a bit less, I can't shoot evey week now as I used to. It seems for those of us who live in the UK a premium is attached to eveything, we have the most expensive petrol/diesel in the world not to mention public travel, shooting equipment etc, and to prove a point Napier Pro 9 hearing protectors £27 but when you buy them in the states $20 (Zem SensGards) they are both the same, made by the same company but when Napier and their distribution network get their hands on them look at what happens.

Edited by skabo1

Hi, There are still some great value shooting venues around. For those lucky enough to live in Co. Durham or Tyne and Wear. Come and try the Times Inn Gun Club. Sunday morning shooting for £20:00 that includes 50 Cartridges and 50 Targets! Go To: thetimesinngunclub.co.uk Loads of info, contact details and maps. Have a look you won't regret it.Cheers

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum as we used to say down at the sandpaper factory :no: !!! and keep a stiff upperlip!! :oops:

I thought it was 'Nil te carborundum illigitimus' ?

I am a game and rough shooter who doesnt shoot clays much - I can have good days and bad days at all three but rarely use more than 1500 cartridges a year.

My best day at clays was 98 ex 100, the worst maybe 40. I like to miss now and again and try the hardest shots always - more satisfying and much cheaper.

That said its getting too expensive to shoot game except via a small DIY syndicate for me.

I'm glad I'm not just starting out and have a store of reasonably priced memories of the best quality.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no quick fix - clay/cartridge prices go up, never come down; grounds have overheads - increase never decrease; fuel - we're being fleeced every time you visit the pump; so you either pay up or don't shoot.

There are ways to soften the blow - I travel with friends to shoots more now than I ever used to and we share the costs (it does work out a little cheaper at times), with others in the same situation we buy our shells in bulk - there are still a few cartridge manufacturers who will deal with you that way, and I don't mind helping out if someone needs a referee - it's not much, but as the advert for a well known supermarket chain goes 'every little helps'. Play and pay grounds may seem dear, but the answer is in your forefinger. It does not take much research to find out who has the 'best' (i.e. cheapest) rates.