FALLOW BUCKS.

Frank

The alarm clock beside my bed, did not ring, for some reason :lol::lol: , so luckly, i woke to check the time :o ****E, i should of left 10 miniutes ago :no::P

Dived out of bed, grabed a bannana sarnie and jumped into the landy. :lol:

Got their just in time to meet my mate. :lol:

Our first stalk took us up a valley, where we spoted a few fallow does, cant shoot them over here till the 1st of November, so we carried on, few more does were spoted.

Then, below the valley, where the rushes were high, we spoted 2 bucks :D , one had a fine set of palmated antlers, other only had 1 antler and was thrashing a bush. We quietly disgussed which to take and as all my freind could see was the head, he decided to go for the 1 antler buck and took a head shot. ;)

When the chance arose, the .308 120 grain Nosler ballistic tip, made a THUD, when hittting the skull, that enterd the brain. :lol: He never new what hit him, straight down, at a lazerd 122yds.

As we were way off the beaten track, my mate went back for the wheel barrow ???:P , to bring him back to the 4 x 4.

Second stalk, we were next to forestry plantation, in a medow, walking along the edge of a wood slowly, spying as we went. Their, at a lazerd 136 yds, was the second buck, grazing away on his own, tired from the rut.

My mate handed me the Krico .308, with T8 mod and i leaned on a branch, heart pumping BUCK FEVER :o :lol: . I waited till i calmed down and slowly brought the cross hairs to the shoulder, squeeze, crack, THUD, bang on home. Second buck down, excellent stuff. :good:

A good day in all. :)

Pics below of the 2 bucks, the wheel barrow came in very handy, as it was me wheeling it. :lol::P

Frank.

:)

Me wondering how much further to go. :D:/:lol:

post-992-1162327843.jpg

post-992-1162327930.jpg

post-992-1162328022.jpg

WOW! Frank that is great shooting and great looking land to shoot. Well done :lol:

If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about stalking in the South, up here it is almost impossible unless you are born into a sindicate or something. There is a bit but tight to enter, I doubt if I will ever get into the circle, thats why I went to Scotland.

So what is the procedure for you guys :good:

Don't worry I am not a poacher just currious :lol:

WOW! Frank that is great shooting and great looking land to shoot. Well done :D

If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about stalking in the South, up here it is almost impossible unless you are born into a sindicate or something. There is a bit but tight to enter, I doubt if I will ever get into the circle, thats why I went to Scotland.

So what is the procedure for you guys B)

Don't worry I am not a poacher just currious :lol:

Thanks Big Dog. :)

Its not too difficult at the moment to get permission to stalk deer down here in the south.

You first apply for a deer hunting permit, from National Parks and wildlife by filling out a application form, putting in your details of the farmers land, acres ect, weather he has shooting rights, folio numbers, rifle details and so on.

Send it in completed to them, then once you receive the permit, which lasts from 1st sep to end of febuary, (bucks, stags does hinds, vary, obviously) you take it to your local firearms dealer and choose the rifle.

Once you have details of the rifle, caliber, make number ect, which you local firearms dealer will fill in for you, you then take this, along with your deer permit and written permmisions, to your local police station and apply for the said rifle, by filling out a firearms application form, whist you are their at the police station.

At present, calibers that can be used for all deer in this country are, .22-250, 5.6x57, .243, .25-06, 6.5 x55, .270, .303, .30-06, .308. Only recently, within the last 3 years or so, has the .303, .308, .30-06 and a few others, which i cant remember :good: , have been allowed to be used in the purpose of deer culling.

This might get tighter still, with the new bill that is soon to be introduced. :angry:

The main things to have are plenty of written permissions from farmers that have the shooting rights. ;)

One more thing, for those with no firearms experience and if its their first application for a firearm, will be refused a high powerd rifle, i suppose this is obvious. :D Just in case some folk think they can just come over and get one straight away. :/:)

Stuart, you should try the wheel barrow technic, very handy, make sure you have a light barrow though. :yp: :D

I was going up a steep hill at the time, but it would of been far more harder, if i had to drag them ;)

Thanks all, very much. :lol:

Another one of me, at the finish line with the second fallow buck. :D

For a big beast that he was, he fitted in well. :lol::P

Frank.

post-992-1162410025.jpg

Boil it out and cut it in a jigsaw, put onto board and hang on wall with the few others. :yp:

Thanks Pelt man. :good:

Hope one day you come across fallow you can stalk. :lol:

I wish we had muntjack here. :D:angry:

Frank.

Frank

your gonna need plenty of wall space for Mounted Fallow, Muntjac take no room at all :lol:

There are plenty of Fallow around these parts, I've never made the effort to gane a shoot to stalk them. Should get of my back side & give it a go. Biut i dont fancy carrying one of those back to the Car, & i'd need to get a bigger freezer :lol:

PELTMAN