Gamekeepers trick to plucking pheasant

Poacher

Hi guys, a Keeper friend of mine showed me this, i'm not sure if many of you guys know this little trick to pluck/expose the breast meat on pheasant, but could someone confirm if i got it right i may have forgotten :lol: ....

1) Lie the pheasant on its back

2) Place your feet ontop of its wings and as close to the birds body as possible (its important to put you feet as close to the body as possible)

3) Bending down, reach for the pheasants neck, (grab a strong bit of its neck) and pull sharpy back towards you,,

If all went well, in your hand you should have the top half of the pheasant but miraculosly the breast meat is exposed with no feathers on.....cut of the breast and bobs your uncle,,,,

best done soon after bird is shot,,,,p.s sometimes if you hold its neck wrong you'll have a nice handful of head and alot of mess on the nearest wall... :lol:

When done properly you can get at the breast meat within a couple of seconds, on loads of birds. Note i've watched the keeper do this so it does work

Could someone let me know if this is correct

Thanks in advance

Hi Bud,

1) flip bird onto its back head away from you

2) open out the wings and get your feet on them as close to the body as you can.

3) apply steady pressure on the legs and pull (try not to be to fierce when pulling,you will feel and see the breast starting to move)

You should have the breast pop out, sharp knife and fillet the breast meat from the bone, jobs a good 'un :lol:

Looks like something from a horror movie!

• 4 weeks later...

There is a video on youtube for breasting pheasnts - saw it the other week

wondered if you can do it when the bird has been hung? I like to hang mine for 3 or 4 days - it makes the meat much more tender but doesn't give it a gamey taste

here it is.... :good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOOrcIZImmE

Wow that is quick :lol::lol:

Tried this method yesterday, it worked a treat. Not only do you get the crown of the bird in one piece. Then the head and legs are ready to stick in a bag for ferret food. Well impressed :oops: .

I've used this method several times on pheasants, and it works well.

Has anyone tried this method on any other birds?

webber

I think you cannot go far wrong if you follow pin's little video, for smaller birds such as Woodcock, Pigeon and Partridge.