Off to Crufts to look at Large Munsterlander - Good gundog?

Kes

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are an HPR. Look at the recent Hungarian Viszla thread, and do a search for a long thread about a Portugese Pointer. Otherwise this will the another 10 pager...

What a ridiculous reply!

"They are a HPR"...!!! In other words if it ain't a lab or springer it just won't do.

I thought this was a generall "Dog and Dog Training" section, maybe you guys want to get Teal to change it to Labs and Springers only.

Rant over

OK, so its an HPR! Nothing wrong with that. They have their place in the shooting world and if it works the way you want to shoot ....

get one!

I've got a GSP and, although there's nothing wrong per sey? it turned out to be the wrong dog for me so I've now got two working dogs and the other one is a lab!

I'm not knocking HPR's, all I'm saying is make sure they want to work the way you want to shoot! Also check on the training method as that could well be very different from, say a springer or a lab.

GH

What a ridiculous reply!

"They are a HPR"...!!! In other words if it ain't a lab or springer it just won't do.

I thought this was a generall "Dog and Dog Training" section, maybe you guys want to get Teal to change it to Labs and Springers only.

Rant over

I think the brevity of the response might have been misleading from WGD, I think the point is the thread is identical just the names have changed. There is nothing "wrong" with HPR's other than they are not a good novice ride and you need to primarily understand what they do and what makes them tick. They are not a lab and they aint a spaniel - quite correct! BUT many train and work them as such which is always the main thread line of such a post. Got a use? Know how they are meant to work? great! stick them in a hide all day, expect them to work well within gunshot pushing cover on the off chance and you are going to have a battle!

Nope, I have no intention of supporting the kennel club and their silly ideas or of seeing dogs called terriers or spaniels who look nothing like working dogs.

Aside from that, have a great time Mark!

watched it on the box last night! just how many of those dogs were blinded by having long hair covering their eyes was DISGUSING!

Nope, I have no intention of supporting the kennel club and their silly ideas or of seeing dogs called terriers or spaniels who look nothing like working dogs.

+1 :good: kinda annoys me how they will accept some brreds that are a combination of breeds but others are looked on as lesser dogs

Are you including Borders in that remark ?

I have not specifically seen the borders at crufts, but a lot of the show ones I have seen are enormous great bit fat things which in my limited knowledge would be no use for work (mine works as a pseudo spaniel not going to ground as a terrier so I am not claiming to be an expert). More directed at the spaniels which seem often to be a completely different shape to what we would call a working dog.

Edited by oscarsdad

I certainly hope he is!. The most important part of a terrier is its mental attitude towards its work. A border was originaly bred to KILL foxes in the hill country of the north, were digging was not practical, so the dog had to finish its fox underground single handed. Can you point out ONE of the borders at crufts that has the mental attitude to do that?.

I have not specifically seen the borders at crufts, but a lot of the show ones I have seen are enormous great bit fat things which in my limited knowledge would be no use for work (mine works as a pseudo spaniel not going to ground as a terrier so I am not claiming to be an expert). More directed at the spaniels which seem often to be a completely different shape to what we would call a working dog.

I judged a Border championship show last year and there were no ' Fat ones' all were spanable and a good number of the exhibits were worked regularly. Those and the Jack Russells are the only true working terriers that are being exhibited at kennel club shows, I couldn't and wouldn't comment on the others.

I certainly hope he is!. The most important part of a terrier is its mental attitude towards its work. A border was originaly bred to KILL foxes in the hill country of the north, were digging was not practical, so the dog had to finish its fox underground single handed. Can you point out ONE of the borders at crufts that has the mental attitude to do that?.

That explains a lot about my old border !

He used to enter ,go as fast as he could until he bumped into something " furry " and then ATTACK IT ! non of this baying stuff for him. Maybe that is why he ended up with a face even a mother couldnt love :lol:

Funnily enough I live in the hill country of the north and my family have been involved with Borders since 1936, so I have an idea what they were bred for and how they carry out that task.

I agree that the mental attitude is of paramount importance and some show lines would come up short on this front.However, I can think of at least four kennels that both show and work their dogs, which is a big reduction since I stopped showing 20 years ago, when nearly half the exhibitors worked their dogs.