help to date a BSA Meteor

pegasus bridge

My grandad passed away in January, he left his gun to me, it has tremedous sentimental value to me, as it was the gun he taught me to shoot with, and i plan on teaching my children the fun of shooting with it. He had it from new (my nan thinks the 50's / 60's but not sure), however i'm not sure of the exact model (its a BSA Meteor - not sure which mark).

its in pretty bad nick, lots of rust, and general crud, one of the stock screws is missing, but i need to ID the model i think before i can buy one (?). i have had a good look and cannot see a serial number anywhere (can just about make out 'meteor' on the top.

so, does anyone know which model it might be? it has a rear 'fold down' sight, and two pairs of scope groves (rather than a single grove each side.) and it is a .177 if this helps:

cheers Gents.

post-9454-0-97388500-1362940834_thumb.jpg

Edited by pegasus bridge

look at chambers airgun spares u can usually date things from there,there will be a serial no somewere to date it by.just had a quick look mk1 prefix n & t,mk2 prefix na & ta m3&4 prefix nb,td thru ng-tg.hope that helps

Edited by hawkfanz

Try going to http://www.airgunspares.com they are the BSA spare parts department! Much better on postage and you are getting genuine BSA spares!

cheers, had look on the website, but this part was not listed + they are shut today, and as i'm impatient -i called Chambers back and it appears it was an error (on my part :oops: ) postage was just 3.69.

so ive got the missing stock screw on the way, still cant find the serial number though.

Ive had a look at the parts list for the mk1 on the website and the rear sight on mine is different - its a very basic type which folds down (forwards), but the stock looks like a mk1 ?

here is a pic of the sight if anyone could shed some light on this for me..

edit - the pic also conveys how much rust it has on it!

,post-9454-0-18915900-1362995998_thumb.jpg

Edited by pegasus bridge

• 7 years later...

Good evening

I’ve recently found my old BSA Meteor in the loft. After much searching I think I’ve found the serial no. The rifle was bought for me as a Christmas present by my Dad in the early 70’s, but I don’t know the exact year. The number is TG26897. Can anyone help me with the year please. Also where can I find a replacement back sight or iron sight. Thanks Terry

21 hours ago, Terry225 said:

Good evening

I’ve recently found my old BSA Meteor in the loft. After much searching I think I’ve found the serial no. The rifle was bought for me as a Christmas present by my Dad in the early 70’s, but I don’t know the exact year. The number is TG26897. Can anyone help me with the year please. Also where can I find a replacement back sight or iron sight. Thanks Terry

T METEOR MK1 0.22 1959/62
TA METEOR MK2 0.22 1962/66
TB METEOR MK2 0.22 1966/68
TD METEOR + SUPER MK3 0.22 1967/69
TE METEOR + SUPER MK3 0.22 1969/73
TG METEOR + SUPER MK4 0.22 1974/78
TH METEOR + SUPER 0.22 1979-
N METEOR MK1 0.177 1959/62
NA METEOR MK2 0.177 1962/66
NB METEOR MK2 0.177 1966/68
ND METEOR MK3 0.177 1967/69
NE METEOR MK3 AND SUPER METEOR MK3 0.177 1969/73