Could do with some advice please!

KPV4

Looking for a little advice on dog behaviour if possible?

We have a 7 month old jackadoodle bitch who has been neutered. Lovely little pup but does seem to have an agressive streak! She growels and shows her teeth if you go close to her in her basket and has tried to bite me a couple of times but missed!

The worrying thing for me this evening was she was having some fuss and then out of the blue turned and bit my face leaving two nice deep puncture wounds!!! I'm quite worried that there didn't appear to be a reason for the bite and having a small child I don't want this to happen again, possibly to him.

I'm not one to give up, she is a lovely pup but I need to be able trust her around the family and anyone who calls, so she has to be tuned in that being agressive and biting is not acceptable, her in doors has already said if it happens again she is out of here!!

Any ideas / info would be great.

Edited by KPV4

Sorry to say but IMO , the dog should have no second chances , especially as you have a young child .

The only advice I can offer is to get shot of the dog and quickly , that it can turn so suddenly is very worrying .

I know its not what you want to hear but if it were mine it would be off to the vets tomorrow , you will never forgive yourself if it has a lump out of your kids face.

I know he is not everyone's cup of tea, but I listen to The Dog Whisperer and believe he talks lots of sense.

He would tell you your dog has no respect for you or any of your family, she is putting you in your place when you go up to her in her basket.

She is the boss as simple as that, we all like to think we are the alpha in our homes, many times the dog tells us what to do.

When you say she was having some fuss, this is getting a dog excited when what you have said is....I want her to be calm?

It is not up to the dog to give you trust, this has to be earned and only given unconditionally to a pack leader.

When a dog has no leadership in it's life it will take on the role, even at an early age.....see what you make of The Dog Whisperer below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZSOwMFcUrI

Edited by The Ghost

Who do you think more of the dog or your child, don't sit thinking about it and hoping some one on here will say it maybe ok.

Get it to the vet or do the job your self.

As bad as it sounds, Actionpigeons he is 100% right, I have tried to think for a solution, other than the one suggested, but there is a child involved, knowone that is a responsible person should take the risk to try to live with a dog that as shown agression to wards people in the family, you would never forgive yourself if something ever happen.

or

You can try to rehome it to someone that knows how to deal with dogs bahaviour and with no children.

Its a 7 month old pup its totally down to how its been brought up and the right trainer will sort it very fast, some on here over react totally if it was an older dog I would agree but at 7 months it is being rebellious. Look for another home if need be but I wouldn't shoot it just yet but I would be very careful with the children and would get professional advice straight away.

Thanks for the advice so far, some interesting points of view which are all taken on board.

I would have no problem with taking her to the vet if I thought this was going to be a major problem and couldn't be resolved. I'm hoping it is a blip at the moment because she is so young and possibly doesn't know better, maybe I'm deluded and there is no going back, but I would love to give her a chance!! My youngest is 12, so not that small and had been warned to be cautious when around the dog and not to go to her when she is in her basket, or put his face close to her etc.

The dog appears this morning to be well aware she has done something wrong, so I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Looking on the net I think she has the order of pack leader wrong, she possibly thinks she is the "boss" so we need to change that asap!! I'll look at the Dog Whisperer clip later when I get home from work, hopefully could be interesting.

Keep the info / ideas coming cheers guys.

Its a 7 month old pup its totally down to how its been brought up and the right trainer will sort it very fast, some on here over react totally if it was an older dog I would agree but at 7 months it is being rebellious. Look for another home if need be but I wouldn't shoot it just yet but I would be very careful with the children and would get professional advice straight away.

Al4x....

Please don't take this from me as patronizing....but do you have children???

I understand what you saying about the dog age...but would you take the risk?

Edited by Highbird70

Thanks for the advice so far, some interesting points of view which are all taken on board.

I would have no problem with taking her to the vet if I thought this was going to be a major problem and couldn't be resolved. I'm hoping it is a blip at the moment because she is so young and possibly doesn't know better, maybe I'm deluded and there is no going back, but I would love to give her a chance!! My youngest is 12, so not that small and had been warned to be cautious when around the dog and not to go to her when she is in her basket, or put his face close to her etc.

The dog appears this morning to be well aware she has done something wrong, so I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Looking on the net I think she has the order of pack leader wrong, she possibly thinks she is the "boss" so we need to change that asap!! I'll look at the Dog Whisperer clip later when I get home from work, hopefully could be interesting.

You can try to find some professional help, somebody that knows the behaviour of dogs and cam train them right, I strongly suggest that you do this if its your intention to keep this dog and run the risk.

Don't assume that we are cold feeling less people here, if I was in your situation I would be devastated and very sad in case I would go for the extreme solution, but I have a 6 years old boy and I wold never risk, that one of my dogs could bite his face.

At this point you have to accept you've had a warning and work on it, I'd be making sure I made the dog wait for food and could take the bowl away and also get into the dogs bed etc and make it all fun. 7 months is far from being a vicious dangerous dog it is testing you as most will do. Ok most don't actually manage to bite you but by the sounds of it it has shocked the dog as much as you.

Don't assume that we are cold feeling less people here, if I was in your situation I would be devastated and very sad in case I would go for the extreme solution, but I have a 6 years old boy and I wold never risk, that one of my dogs could bite his face.

and the only way of doing that is to not have a dog and not let your child near any dogs,

At this point you have to accept you've had a warning and work on it, I'd be making sure I made the dog wait for food and could take the bowl away and also get into the dogs bed etc and make it all fun. 7 months is far from being a vicious dangerous dog it is testing you as most will do. Ok most don't actually manage to bite you but by the sounds of it it has shocked the dog as much as you.

and the only way of doing that is to not have a dog and not let your child near any dogs,

I know that there is any safe dog, and yes you are right, to avoid any risk with family members or yourself, we should not have a dog or not letting children near them, but I have chosen to have a dog and its a risk that I'm willing to take, due to the breed of the dog that I'm having and no history of behaviour problem.....but if at anytime a incident like this would happen, I would not give a second chance to the dog.

Some I know would get rid of the child. AHAHHAHahahhahah Mr Jdog, you always make me smile with your very truthfull comments, I hope you are well and Pigeons are willing to play decoying with you.

In this instance I feel that the dog will always have this behavioural trait.

I would not be asking the opinion of strangers if i thought any of my children were at risk of being harmed in any way. God forbid anything happening but would you be able to look your cold in the face if they were badly bitten whilst you were waiting for a stranger to tell you what to do?. No doubt a puppy cuddler will be along soon to tell you that 4 drops of evening primrose oil mixed with a cup of nettle water rubbed on its belly twice a day will cure it but i would not put up with any aggression,at any age,whatsoever.

I would not be asking the opinion of strangers if i thought any of my children were at risk of being harmed in any way. God forbid anything happening but would you be able to look your child in the face if they were badly bitten whilst you were waiting for a stranger to tell you what to do?. No doubt a puppy cuddler will be along soon to tell you that 4 drops of evening primrose oil mixed with a cup of nettle water rubbed on its belly twice a day will cure it but i would not put up with any aggression,at any age,whatsoever.

Firstly what the hell is a jackadoodle? I assume it is a mongrel with some terrier in it - they can be very strong willed but with the right upbringing they can be very soft. I don't have kids so I would try to address the issue, but if I had kids and one of my dogs even bared his teeth at me never mind bit me they would be straight off with a one way trip to the vets.

Well you could feed it treats and make it understand you loved it OR it could simply cease to exist. I think I should go for the latter, training out of poor temperament is like a loaded gun with the safety catch applied in the house sooner or later something will go wrong

We have a Rottweiller which growls if you go near his food and will bite if you infringe his space.

He is a very loving dog and I constantly train him to come away from his food and sit whilst I fiddle with it. I take toys off him and he knows damn well I'm higher up the pecking order than him. He is still at 5 very protective of his stuff and I have to respect that. - He will always drop and leave if asked and stay where I put him so he's controllable

If my children were small I wouldnt for a moment risk this dog with them, however, he is entirely controllable - you just have to know his limits and they are grown up and understand the dog better than I do..

Set yourself a time, say a week and establish yourself as pack leader - if the dog fails to respond then you need to let it go. Meanwhile i'd keep the children well away from 'sensitive area's, as you have done.

Worth 7 days but not a moment longer I would suggest.

Good luck

Edited by Kes

I agree with Kes,

'If my children were small I wouldnt for a moment risk this dog with them'

The dog is definitely out of position in the pack hierarchy - YOU are the only boss in YOUR pack.

I have growled at my dogs while holding them close to my face. Some will not agree with this but the natural mother will issue warning growls to the pup before giving it a nip.

It is a way of getting the message over with out being violent or hurting your pup.

As said think of your children first.

best of luck

HB

Cheers Guys.

Pleanty to think about. To be honest as I said my youngest is 12 so not so small.

I take on board all your points about children but I feel happy enough that he is not at risk. I would not put his safety at risk for anything, he comes first everytime he has also been told what has gone on, what to do and what not to do. I think the dog has more of an issue with me than anyone else in the house! So I think it is this what need to be worked on!!

I'm waiting for a dog trainer/expert to call hopefully later regarding the problem and what i can do to prevent it happening again. I don't want to go down the route of the vet just yet, but any further problems (or signs) and it maybe unavoidable!!

being a jack russel/ poodle cross I assume its actually not very large which would be why I'd assume it wasn't going to eat your 12 year old. I'd speak to the trainer and look at the basics and go from there while being sensibly careful.