Could do with some advice please!

KPV4

being a jack russel/ poodle cross I assume its actually not very large which would be why I'd assume it wasn't going to eat your 12 year old. I'd speak to the trainer and look at the basics and go from there while being sensibly careful.

Yes spot on, it isn't that big even though possibly capable of delivering a nastie nip/bite, I think with the precautions in place it would be a bit harsh to call it a day straight away. I know many may not agree but, got to give it a go.

at that age I would work on it if the dog was older then no of if the bite was worse but the fundamental is people can only go on what is written online, you are at the business end and were the one affected so have most experience of whether you think it may be ongoing or get worse.

Read about the subject and talk to some behaviourists and good luck

Depends on how confident you are in bringing it back into line. By asking how to do it I would suggest its a task too much but no need to put it down as there may be someone who has the time and experience to sort it out. I've taken on a couple of extremely aggressive dogs and the only thing I would say is that neither were as strong or as big or as loud as I can be. This doesn't mean I'm heavy handed but the dogs realised quickly who was top dog. Only then can the training begin and lifelong friends made.

Gillaroo

Different breeds different traits. Jack Russell/poodle. Really?why?

I think dog needs to know its places said but not just who the leader is, but that it's place is right at the bottom of the heap.

Get your child to do the feeding, walking while you dominate the cage, take food away etc until you can all do this. There's probably another 4 month or so of sorting out the pecking order to come. Good luck.

I agree with Kes,

'If my children were small I wouldnt for a moment risk this dog with them'

The dog is definitely out of position in the pack hierarchy - YOU are the only boss in YOUR pack.

I have growled at my dogs while holding them close to my face. Some will not agree with this but the natural mother will issue warning growls to the pup before giving it a nip.

It is a way of getting the message over with out being violent or hurting your pup.

As said think of your children first.

best of luck

HB

indeed, the bitch would drag the pups head down by it's ear and growl, or grab it by the throat whilst biting quite hard and growling, the pup would be under no illusion who was boss! People don't do that, they tend to pet the pup and send all the wrong messages. That said I'm not in favour of beating pups or dogs, just do what the bitch would do, they soon get the message

indeed, the bitch would drag the pups head down by it's ear and growl, or grab it by the throat whilst biting quite hard and growling, the pup would be under no illusion who was boss! People don't do that, they tend to pet the pup and send all the wrong messages. That said I'm not in favour of beating pups or dogs, just do what the bitch would do, they soon get the message

precisely they have to learn right from wrong and you have to take the place of the bitch, at 7 months its plenty young enough to learn.

Different breeds different traits. Jack Russell/poodle. Really?why?

I think dog needs to know its places said but not just who the leader is, but that it's place is right at the bottom of the heap.

Get your child to do the feeding, walking while you dominate the cage, take food away etc until you can all do this. There's probably another 4 month or so of sorting out the pecking order to come. Good luck.

It was the wife's choice of dog and it looks just like the picture without the white.

What was your reaction to the pup nipping you?

As you can imagine not very impressed!! I'm not a believer in beating/hitting a dog for doing something wrong, we usually use a rolled up newspaper and bang it on the chair settee, but to be honest she did have a clip for what she had done and it was off to her basket in another room with a stern telling off until the next day.

+1 :good: All is not lost with this pup just time to act now or things will only get worse

It's nice to get some re-assurance that all is not lost, I didn't think it would be as she is young and I feel there is plenty of time to learn without the trip to the vet. Interesting the info on acting like the bitch would to put her in her place, certainly worth looking into and trying. Not sure how the dragging her by her ears will go.... Might be looking at another nip...lol

It was the wife's choice of dog and it looks just like the picture without the white.

As you can imagine not very impressed!! I'm not a believer in beating/hitting a dog for doing something wrong, we usually use a rolled up newspaper and bang it on the chair settee, but to be honest she did have a clip for what she had done and it was off to her basket in another room with a stern telling off until the next day.

It's nice to get some re-assurance that all is not lost, I didn't think it would be as she is young and I feel there is plenty of time to learn without the trip to the vet. Interesting the info on acting like the bitch would to put her in her place, certainly worth looking into and trying. Not sure how the dragging her by her ears will go.... Might be looking at another nip...lol

with luck she will, then you really need to put her in her place, be quick and grip the skin around the neck hard and be rough, she will submit

My wire was quite hard on my other older dogs when he was a a pup, my other dogs are big soft lump's and never put him in his place, infact used to run to me wanting me to do it for them. But when i go up to see the mother and another bitch pup off same litter, every morning when let out off adjoining kennels the first thing bitch would do is grab pup by front leg roll it over onto back and just stand there. Showing it's dominance.

A word off caution there has been some good advice but do u know why it bit/nipped fear, aggression or u just wound it up playing and didn't know the boundries

I would go and see a pro dog trainer or behaviourist asap and let them see u and ur dog prob in ur home environment.

Sometimes meeting fire with fire will not help or if dog is afraid dominating it may make it worse, all depends on how ur reading ur dog. It is very hard to give good advice for something like this on the internet without seing the dog and u

pups when playing will naturally be a bit bitey, they are trying to find were the boundries are for how much nip they can give (they can only get to feel things with their teeth after all, plus their teeth fall out and what they learnt changes), my guess is if you were playing he has just over stepped the mark, a bitch would at that point put the pup firmly in it's place.

the pups reaction to a rollocking and confinement reflects this

pups when playing will naturally be a bit bitey, they are trying to find were the boundries are for how much nip they can give (they can only get to feel things with their teeth after all, plus their teeth fall out and what they learnt changes), my guess is if you were playing he has just over stepped the mark, a bitch would at that point put the pup firmly in it's place.

the pups reaction to a rollocking and confinement reflects this

totally agree you need to show this pup who is boss!! and make her submit have you scruffed her neck when she growls at you and shout NO! when she is a grump toward you?? put her in her place if she growls grab her scruff of her neck take her away from her food/treat and put her in the yard or her crate if you crate her she will soon learn your not the one to mess with

'it was off to her basket in another room with a stern telling off until the next day.'

Be careful not to make her basket as part of any punishment - this should be her safe and quiet zone.

Making the basket part of punishment will bring further issues of her running off etc.

'Not sure how the dragging her by her ears will go.... Might be looking at another nip...LOL'

If you do this then be firm slow and gentle - do not hold the tip of the ear - hold by the base of the ear next to the head but be very careful not hurt the dog.

I believe this to be a control method not a pain inflicting activity.

HB

Edited by Hopper Bopper