LPG Conversions???

Vipa

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be the larger engines are better with it, I had 8 factory fitted vehicles and they ran to 100K ok if you accepted you would have the management light on all the time and ignored it, and just replaced sensors and egr valves when they affected running, after 100k it was engine re build time thats not on the occasional one but every one ok they were all the same make but still. Fuel use they were more expensive to run than diesels but we gained congestion charge exmption so they saved £7 a day at the start and £9 by the time the last went by the end we ran the lot on petrol as it was cheaper and they didn't keep breaking down. The fundamental is though a diesel will be cheaper to run and less risk but LPG lets you play at owning a large engined petrol and afford to run it, bearing in mind most won't do the mileage my vehicles do they work but you need to make an educated gamble.

It may be the larger engines are better with it, I had 8 factory fitted vehicles and they ran to 100K ok if you accepted you would have the management light on all the time and ignored it, and just replaced sensors and egr valves when they affected running, after 100k it was engine re build time thats not on the occasional one but every one ok they were all the same make but still. Fuel use they were more expensive to run than diesels but we gained congestion charge exmption so they saved £7 a day at the start and £9 by the time the last went by the end we ran the lot on petrol as it was cheaper and they didn't keep breaking down. The fundamental is though a diesel will be cheaper to run and less risk but LPG lets you play at owning a large engined petrol and afford to run it, bearing in mind most won't do the mileage my vehicles do they work but you need to make an educated gamble.

Thank Alex... Just seems like a way to get a big 4x4 with all the bells and whistles that goes like stink for nthe same running costs as an audi A4 diesel!

slim, the thing most likely to leave you with a 15mpg beast is the system going tits up and costing a fortune to fix,

Yeahh but if I get one that hasn't been modified and then get the conversion done myself I get 2 years warranty/peace of mind

thats the bit you have to weigh up paying £1500 or so up front plus the cost of fuel versus spending it on petrol alone, compared to a diesel it will be more expensive and the residuals poorer it just depends what age the vehicle is you buy. Also with the large engines factor in that your range may only be 150-200 miles on gas so you will end up running on petrol a certain amount as well as at startup.

A new conversion to me makes more reliable sense than a pre converted one if you really have to do it,

thats the bit you have to weigh up paying £1500 or so up front plus the cost of fuel versus spending it on petrol alone, compared to a diesel it will be more expensive and the residuals poorer it just depends what age the vehicle is you buy. Also with the large engines factor in that your range may only be 150-200 miles on gas so you will end up running on petrol a certain amount as well as at startup.

A new conversion to me makes more reliable sense than a pre converted one if you really have to do it,

That was going to be my next question... how much do LPG tanks hold?

depends what tank you get :lol:

but it comes down to practicality ours used to fit the spare wheel well and take about 12 gallons from memory, but you can get different alternatives depending on vehicle and how much load space you are willing to give up and you can run them out as you then just switch to petrol.

In our case yes, but it depends a lot on if you have an underslung spare or whether you are prepared to have a tank in the boot or in many cases whther you want a can of tyre foam instead of a spare. There are other options out there just depending what vehicle you are looking at.

http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/sizes.html

Edited by al4x

Mates Astra car used to do 300 ish miles to a tank of gas (depends on outside temp as to how much you can fit in :) ! ) only used a very small amount of petrol on start up.

Not sure how the HEMI works on LPG though.

You can run LPG on Carbs but some other considerations.

• 10 months later...

Agree totally it is down to paying the price for a competent installer - we did a V8 XC90, and after the installer realised he should have put a bypass in to stop the fuel pump trying (and failing) to pump petrol in as well as gas... well, he apologised profusely, free first service, and whole shebang was sweet as a nut after that. Honestly did not see much drop in power, but would kick over to petrol when flooring it in outside lane at - errr - "70 mph".

I would be interested in any recent experience of Jeeps with LPG; thinking of one for towing horsebox, as well as 20-mile return journey to work. I know the servicing costs are high, but am more concerned about all the horror stories about burnt-out valves etc (I only put about 20K on the Volvo before I sold it).

I live in the Netherlands. Over here there are a lot of cars running on lpg with no problems at all. Main thing is it has to be installed by a person who knows what he's doing -so a professional is the way to go!

Had a range rover on lpg, ran it for 90.000 miles before I sold it on. No noticeable powerloss, little less miles to the gallon -but still a lot cheaper than running op petrol. Whatever people tell you about the DANGER, it's certainly no more dangerous than a car running on petrol if it's a certified lpg tank. Remember that a tank full of petrol is also a very explosive thing as well... If you want a bit more safety go diesel.

Over here almost every petrol station has lpg, so it's not a difficult choice when you do a lot of miles -only downside on driving on petrol over here is the higher road tax...

I have a disco 2 4.0ltr V8 running on a zavoli multipoint lpg conversion, it has 2 underslung belly tanks filling up too 80lts of gas with a 15 ltr petrol tank for start ups, ive had the car for 2 years now 63p per ltr gets me approx. 260 miles. Lpg furom tells you where all the garages are that supply, if you do your home work it costs pence to maintain, £4 for a new filter every 2000 miles i20 injector cleaner every 4 months for £15 as gas is very clean on the outside it gunks up the injectors well on the inside I have an annual service just too be safe and it costs me £60 . I have had no performace issues with power out put if your planning a long journey just look on the internet too find out where the garages are also bulk fill suppliers fuel you up like calor gas flow gas, touch wood I have never ran out whilst about. The only thing you carnt do is use the tunnel to france but you don't pay the congestion charge in London as its a green fuel.

I'm not an expert by any means but I tend to look at things simplistically..

Is not a petrol car designed to run on petrol. ? Is not a diesel car designed to run on diesel ? is not an electric car designed to run on electric ?

Is there a car designed to run on Gas.?

If you want to run on gas get a hot Air Balloon :yes::lol:

If you discount the engine built by the Chinese from wood and powered with coal dust. the internal combustion engine is a GAS engine.

So in reality the modern petrol engine is a gas engine converted to run on petrol. Herr Benz invented the carburetor and thus allowed the stationary gas engine to be mobilised.

webber

Be careful with Grand Cherokee if you do a lot of off road or towing. I had gearbox and front axle problems after 80000 miles. I asked my local garage what the problem was. The reply I got was “them inguns make their gears out of wood”. :lol:

I think that you will find that most of the later model Grand Cherokees Diesels have Merc engines and gearboxes and buying a car/truck is luck in the end if you get a good one you can buy a new one of any make and brake down a mile down the road.

They do say that the Jeep six cylinder 4 ltr petrol engine is one of the best that you can get for converting to run on LPG.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Is not a petrol car designed to run on petrol. ? Is not a diesel car designed to run on diesel ? is not an electric car designed to run on electric ?

shame they don't run off all your hot air :beer:

just out of interest what do you consider Fuel vapour to be ? liquid or gas :yes: ( i own 2 LPG conversions both done by myself a 14 year old megane and a 12 year old Grand Vitara we do over 40,000 miles a year between the 2 cars and i am saving thousands a year in fuel costs)

There is no law or legal requirement that says you have to be qualified or have them inspected , any competant mechanic can install them you just need to buy a copy of COP11 which is the current install regulations and you only need an inspection if you want to go on the UKLPG register (which is corrupt as **** anyway)

How long ago did you run LPG ? they have come on a huge amount in technology in the last 3 years or so

There is no law or legal requirement that says you have to be qualified or have them inspected , any competant mechanic can install them you just need to buy a copy of COP11 which is the current install regulations and you only need an inspection if you want to go on the UKLPG register (which is corrupt as **** anyway)

How long ago did you run LPG ? they have come on a huge amount in technology in the last 3 years or so

Think your insurance company may be less than impressed with an LPG conversion not inspected and passed by a member of an approved association/body.

Mr Potter