LPG Conversions???

Vipa

There is no law etc. However it is becoming increasingly difficult to insure an LPG vehicle which is not on the LPG register.

Sadly I agree that the system does appear to be bent. My son has been converting vehicles for around 15 year, he was assisting me to convert vehicles when he was old enough to hold a torch and pass a spanner, so you can probably add another 10 years to that. He has only just found the time to sit the exam etc.

We make more money correcting the cock ups made by other LPGA Registered Installers than we do by doing the original conversions. Sadly many people buy on price not quality of work or equipment. In reality the green tick means very little, but it does satisfy the insurance companies. Over the years we have seen some absolute shocking jobs, done both by amateurs and approved installers. The latest was last week, a BMW X5 presented with a filling connection that had been cable tied to the towing ball, which just happened to be a removable one. This was picked up on when the car was brought in for an annual LPG service. Its been rectified and photographed. The cars owner, a recent purchaser has reported the original installer to the LPGA. A number of other issues were picked up on the same vehicle, I just can't remember what they all were.

When I was 18 and converted my first vehicle I made many of the bits and cobbled others, the engines and system was simple. Nowadays everything is computerised, the modern systems come with a wiring loom as thick as your arm. Contrary to what has been reported, the average Joe mechanic may just manage to bolt the bits in the right place, and possible tick the boxes for the COP, but getting the system to run correctly and efficiently requires training, skill and experience. We don't advertise our LPG conversion and repair service, we simply have no need to, reputation and satisfied customers work for us.

webber

There is no law or legal requirement that says you have to be qualified or have them inspected , any competant mechanic can install them you just need to buy a copy of COP11 which is the current install regulations and you only need an inspection if you want to go on the UKLPG register (which is corrupt as **** anyway)

How long ago did you run LPG ? they have come on a huge amount in technology in the last 3 years or so

Think your insurance company may be less than impressed with an LPG conversion not inspected and passed by a member of an approved association/body.

Mr Potter

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK

Seriously considering buying a BIG engined petrol Jeep Grand Cherokee with an LPG conversion... 4.7, 5.7 or even a 6.1ltr V8

For the money I have got to spend we will be looking at between 70-90k on the clock

Does LPG have any adverse affects on an engine... will an engine with 80k on it be in worse shape due to the conversion than if it had been run on just petrol?

Cheers

Paul

I run my Series Landy on gas. It has been in there for 14 years and all I have done is replace a solenoid and a couple of pipes. Perhaps I need to mail webber too because I think you have to change the tank or have it checked out after 10 years or so, for corrosion.

When it was first fitted and I was keen about this stuff {800 British Pounds it cost}, I recorded that it did a little less per gallon than petrol, but at half the price, who cares eh? It paid for itself within 12 months with the mileage I was doing at that time.

True about the nice lengthy service intervals, another saving there.

But your loaded Vipa, so saving the planet must be your motivation, economy was mine.

I can not shut the doors upstairs now, due to all the money I have saved and stuffed under the floor boards.

Seriously though, gas is the way to go with big engines (small ones too) and I am surprised that so few people actually convert.

Think your insurance company may be less than impressed with an LPG conversion not inspected and passed by a member of an approved association/body.

Mr Potter

What makes you think i have not had it inspected and not declared it to my insurer , i said there was no legal requirement for inspection i didnt say i had not done it .

The biggest thing to my mind with LPG being so cheap why does no manufacturer supply converted vehicles anymore. Is it due to the hammering they took on warranty claims when they did?

From memory, they all took a spanking.

Almost if not all went for the same equipment which was outdated when it was specified, with zero diagnostics in the software. They charged brewsters for inferior kit and failed to sufficiently invest in technician training.

I've bought a number of used LDV pickups for our gas delivery business. All had been converted with the kit mentioned. WE still have one running on the original equipment although how, we don't know. When it eventually fails, we'll do what we've done with the others and fit some decent equipment that can be easily worked on and diagnose by plugging in rather than guessing and changing parts at significant cost.

webber

It shows though when no manufacturer thinks the costs add up versus reliability that there are issues. In your case it's fine you run the business but as an end user running on gas just doesn't stack up over a vehicles lifetime. If it did someone would sell a vehicle

It shows though when no manufacturer thinks the costs add up versus reliability that there are issues. In your case it's fine you run the business but as an end user running on gas just doesn't stack up over a vehicles lifetime. If it did someone would sell a vehicle

Can't agree.

We have many repeat customers, some do very high mileage and change vehicle around 2 years, they buy a vehicle around 12 months old.

It didn't work out for you for a number of factors.

Time and technology have moved on.

webber

Me or any major manufacturer they haven't adopted the technology. Here LPG stations are getting fewer and further between as the main reason to have one was the congestion charge exemption. Now that's gone there isn't an incentive and filling stations seem to be getting rid of LPG pumps rather than updating