Extra income for my shoot

Right guys u have nearly got me!

Please can I ask what the predicted cost in an average season would be to rear 750 7wk poults.

I have no real clue when is best to get them, how much to pay or anything.

What they need and when and for how long.

After reading all your kind advice I'm working on the rest of the syndicate to give poults a go.

Any advice would really really be appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we have a pond about an acre and about a mile of river. The short fall did not include selling a day ... ???

I think the suggestion maybe to put down duck but if so that would have to be factored in. Do they give a better return generally?

I know it's all ifs and buts but how about a 30 bird day? Is that possible/ a done thing?

yes ducks are childs play! we put down 2000 last year over 4 ponds and shot 98% returns we normalt got 75% and better returns on ducks, why not have a mixed walk one stand one day pay by the bird we used to do them for teams of upto 10 guns at £20 a bird

Mr pigeon as i said earlier i reckon it will cost our shoot around the £7 mark; based on poult price+ pellets (about 2.5T per 1000)+ wheat (about 10T per 1000)+ add a wee bit extra; my feed quantities will be more than some but i keep them on pellets a wee bit longer and we have little natural food so put plenty wheat out and i'm still feeding now.

Be interrested in how much feed u expect to feed a ex-layer throu the seaon

It might give u a better idea if look on either the BASC or GWCT sites see if they have some sort off guide to releasing pheasants, pretty sure BASC will.

There is actually a couple off half decent books that cover running a shoot, try searching fr either Ian mcCall, mike swan or david hudson, think all are gct advisors

Sometimes the GWCT does shoot walks/courses throu the summer, i've been to a couple with the scottish lot and u always come away learning something and seeing different ways of doing things and meet some nice poeple and see some nice shoots aswell.

Very roughly (and i might be a wee bit out with ages as i tend to make it up as i go along, never pay much attention too there age)

Basically get poults 6-8 week old feed pellets till about 12ish week old then wean to wheat gradually, most advise to use same pellets as the game farmer imitally, wether it makes a difference i don't know, as loads of the big commercial shoots don't.

think advice is that around 20ish weeks the birds should be mature enough to shoot (althou sometimes weather dependent) Prob the hieght for releasing will be mid/end july, but some shoots will be gettin them into sept, depends how early u want to shoot

Highseas, How do u achieve these high percentages with duck? I've always wondered,

The shoot i beat on was well well down this year and it has a lot of wild duck + released on it too. Generally when i have been involved with duck after the first 2/3 shoots u tend to get 3/4 waves (wild teal/widgeon, wild mallard, reared mallard) off duck over guns and then that's it over in no time, be lucky to get 6 or 8 shots off before the reared mallard come off but even with a few waves off them, and even then it tends to be big groups u can't control it the way u can with pheasants; it takes a lot to get a bag up and get ur percentages up

Mr pigeon as i said earlier i reckon it will cost our shoot around the £7 mark; based on poult price+ pellets (about 2.5T per 1000)+ wheat (about 10T per 1000)

ours work out at 7.40 per bird for price of poult at 49+ day old, pellet ( i use a touch more than yourself, and this year will be using another half ton as the wheat quallity is poor), slightly less wheat and some meds. We get ours in late June and start the first weekend of Oct with birds that should be knocking on 22 weeks old.