Parking Ticket Grrr

pimpkiller

Ok been out to a large out of town retail park today parked up, gone in shops, come back, ticket on the window. Its only after seeing this that I looked and realised the small part we have parked on is pay and display the vast majority is free. Now this has really ticked me off because there was absolutely no signs down the road or at the entrance to the car park, the nearest sign with all the gobbledygook on is right at the opposite side of the carpark on the actual store front (which we didnt go into so didnt see).

Now this ticket is a little receipt type thing from "smart parking" not a proper council one, it says £70 or £40 if paid within 14 days and I can appeal this decision by applying in writing to them so what can I do about this?

Am i right in thinking that they have to put up the sign at the entrance to the car park to let people know its pay and display ( I have taken pictures to show this, and taken pics of the nearest sign) and if so what should i do? ignore it or appeal to them?

I am obviously researching on tinternet but I Know people on here are knowledgeable about this sort of thing so any help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you parked there and they bothered to have someone patrolling to issue tickets I would expect that they would be pretty sure of their case.

Years ago it was worth challenging, but recently things appear to have been tightened up.

You stated that there is appropriate signage that you failed to see.

Good luck.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

"You stated that there is appropriate signage that you failed to see"

this is the bit thats winding me up, nothing on the road, nothing at the entrance to the car park its only when i returned to the car and saw a ticket I said "you what?" and went hunting around and saw a sign on the building which is the other side of the car park.

Now im not a dodgy scum-bag or anything and of course i would of spent £2 if i had known, arnt I right in thinking they should stick up those big gobbledygook signs at the entrance so you know and hence its a genuine defence?

Has anyone actually ignored these things themselves?

Edited by pimpkiller

this is the bit thats winding me up, nothing on the road, nothing at the entrance to the car park its only when i returned to the car and saw a ticket I said "you what?" and went hunting around and saw a sign on the building which is the other side of the car park.

Now im not a dodgy scum-bag or anything and of course i would of spent £2 if i had known, arnt I right in thinking they should stick up those big gobbledygook signs at the entrance so you know and hence its a genuine defence?

Presumably "they" will state that signage was present and then it would be up to you to prove otherwise!

Should have asked somebody who had actually paid for their spot at the same time as you had parked their for their old ticket. Then sent a copy of it to parking company claiming you'd paid for it and the warden hadn't seen it. Unfortunately hindsight is an exact science though.

Might be worth the risk of not paying......

Or, pay the £40 in 10p cheques so that it costs them more in administration fees!

if its a"parking charge"from a private company, not a fine from a council etc which you will have to pay, just throw it away and wait for the letters threatening this that and the other, non of which will amount to anything they will give up, I had one from LDK after about five letters from different people IE bailiffs, solicitors, ( all from the same address) they gave up.

KW

Should have asked somebody who had actually paid for their spot at the same time as you had parked their for their old ticket. Then sent a copy of it to parking company claiming you'd paid for it and the warden hadn't seen it. Unfortunately hindsight is an exact science though.

damnit i didnt think of that :) I never even saw a machine or tickets in peoples windows

if its a"parking charge"from a private company, not a fine from a council etc which you will have to pay, just throw it away and wait for the letters threatening this that and the other, non of which will amount to anything they will give up, I had one from LDK after about five letters from different people IE bailiffs, solicitors, ( all from the same address) they gave up.

KW

This ^

If it's not from the police or council then ignore. It's not a fine you've got but an invoice. Bin it.

This ^

If it's not from the police or council then ignore. It's not a fine you've got but an invoice. Bin it.

Yep just ignore it,do not answer fone calls from numbers you don't know either.

Google the company's name,likely there will be loads of similar tales on there.

Edited by mr smith

Don't worry about it I get them all the time lol as I work in London and drive back early hours and have a snooze in the motorway services 2hrs free stopped at one it was about 03:45 woke up 07:45 :) :) and I use them all the time I'm always getting them just ignore :) :) and they take a photo as I enter and leave smile for the camera lol

Edited by the crowman

Then it's almost certainly the case that the ticket is not enforcible. For it to be enforcible there has to be a contract between you and whomever gave you the ticket and there cannot be one if you were unlikely to have seen the sign.

Also, even if the contract was valid then a £70 ticket is not reasonable as it will almost certainly consitute a penalty at law and contractual penalties are illegal in this country. Unless, that is, the fee for parking was actually £70 which I'm sure it wasn't.

J.

All good advice. As stated ignore it, and after the first one if you recognize the envelope don't open it just write return to sender and pop it back in post. I got about 4 before they gave up. Not enforceable unless its police or council ticket.

Edited by parapilot

Might be worth the risk of not paying......

Or, pay the £40 in 10p cheques so that it costs them more in administration fees!

I LOVE that suggestion!