WILD CAT WHISPER

snipers eye

The review below may be of interest, I've just grabbed a couple of bits from it underneath, worth a read.

http://www.shootingu...rs_review_.html

The noise or decibel reduction readings are as follows:

Whisper 23.3dB

SAK 26.9dB

SM11 28.6dB

LEI 27.5dB.

Whisper £125 and 204g

SAK £33 and 165g

It's a free world and you get what you want but I think that is a useful read!

:hmm::good:

Edited by Dekers

The review below may be of interest, I've just grabbed a couple of bits from it underneath, worth a read.

http://www.shootingu...rs_review_.html

The noise or decibel reduction readings are as follows:

Whisper 23.3dB

SAK 26.9dB

SM11 28.6dB

LEI 27.5dB.

Whisper £125 and 204g

SAK £33 and 165g

It's a free world and you get what you want but I think that is a useful read!

:hmm::good: thanks for reply.i have read this report a few times,and still none the wiser as to what is the quietest mod,the report gives a 5 to lei,but some lads say there are rubbish,alot go for sak,maybe because its cheaper,well i don't want cheaper, i want a mod that will quieten mussel blast the most,everyone has different opinions,mine is that every rifle is different,and what mod is good on one,may not be on another,thats why imo everyone uses different mods,as of yet i cant get more than 10 to agree on one.

thanks for reply.i have read this report a few times,and still none the wiser as to what is the quietest mod,the report gives a 5 to lei,but some lads say there are rubbish,alot go for sak,maybe because its cheaper,well i don't want cheaper, i want a mod that will quieten mussel blast the most,everyone has different opinions,mine is that every rifle is different,and what mod is good on one,may not be on another,thats why imo everyone uses different mods,as of yet i cant get more than 10 to agree on one.

Thats because everyone thinks what they have is best, and it is human nature to think that, especially if you have just spent £125 on a heap of dogs doings of a Whisper!

These are dB sound reduction readings, from a machine, they are not what anyone thinks! :good:

Whisper 23.3dB

SAK 26.9dB

SM11 28.6dB

LEI 27.5dB.

Edited by Dekers

Thats because everyone thinks what they have is best, and it is human nature to think that, especially if you have just spent £125 on a heap of dogs doings of a Whisper!

These are dB sound reduction readings, from a machine, they are not what anyone thinks! :good:

Whisper 23.3dB

SAK 26.9dB

SM11 28.6dB

LEI 27.5dB.

that makes alot of sense,i guess the sak is as good as the rest,and cheaper,between 26 and 28 DB,i guess the human ear would hardly be able to tell the difference.

I've tried several different moderators on my HMR's.

The 2 that I rate the best are the Wildcat (which I am using now), and the DM80. Can't decide between them.

SAK wasn't a patch on the other 2.

Never tried the LEI , but probably would have bought one if I had come across one when I was moderator shopping.

I've tried several different moderators on my HMR's.

The 2 that I rate the best are the Wildcat (which I am using now), and the DM80. Can't decide between them.

SAK wasn't a patch on the other 2.

Never tried the LEI , but probably would have bought one if I had come across one when I was moderator shopping.

hi thanks for reply,it seems to me that everyone has a different opinion on hmr mods,in the report above the whisper did not score that well,yet some lads including yourself say the whisper is way better than a sak,also on some posts lads say the LEI is ****,can you or anyone tell me why?ps some even say the sak is better than the DM80 :/ Edited by snipers eye

hi thanks for reply,it seems to me that everyone has a different opinion on hmr mods,in the report above the whisper did not score that well,yet some lads including yourself say the whisper is way better than a sak,also on some posts lads say the LEI is ****,can you or anyone tell me why?ps some even say the sak is better than the DM80 :/

Chap

You have got to get used to the fact that some responders probably haven't either got or used what they suggest, many HAVE to say their Whisper is great to save face at wasting £125, and many have NOT compared different mods. I am not pointing any fingers in any specific direction here, but remember this is a public forum!

The figures quoted are from a machine in a report, they are unbiased and real, they are not what someone thinks their ear is telling them!

The fact is the HMR and WMR are VERY difficult to moderate and NONE are much good really, I have tried just about everything out there on my HMR/WMR and I have not been impressed with any, so, get what you want but don't expect miracles investing in the most expensive you can buy.

The SAK is as good as any and better than many, it is also guaranteed for LIFE, whatever you do with it, even in 20 years Jackson rifles will replace it for a maximum of 60% of cost.

Different Moderators will also change the TONE of the crack, and that will make different mods sound different to different ears, the Decibel meter will give you a true unbiased indication of the level of noise it makes!

My last Mod was a sak, i have found the whisper gives slightly less pronounced crack, but i would not say the noise level much lower, but i love the build quality, and because it screws lower over the barrel, it does not add much the the length of the of the rifle compared to the Sak.

Just go for what you fancy,as everyone as there own opinion.

Thought I would just put in a good word for the LEI. I have one on an HMR and it works very well - no need for ear defenders. Can't say that it's better than the rest because it's the only one I've used or heard, and it is not cheap, but it is very light and unobtrusive. You don't/can't clean it, but you simply bang it on something hard to get the debris out.

Chap

You have got to get used to the fact that some responders probably haven't either got or used what they suggest, many HAVE to say their Whisper is great to save face at wasting £125, and many have NOT compared different mods. I am not pointing any fingers in any specific direction here, but remember this is a public forum!

The figures quoted are from a machine in a report, they are unbiased and real, they are not what someone thinks their ear is telling them!

The fact is the HMR and WMR are VERY difficult to moderate and NONE are much good really, I have tried just about everything out there on my HMR/WMR and I have not been impressed with any, so, get what you want but don't expect miracles investing in the most expensive you can buy.

The SAK is as good as any and better than many, it is also guaranteed for LIFE, whatever you do with it, even in 20 years Jackson rifles will replace it for a maximum of 60% of cost.

Different Moderators will also change the TONE of the crack, and that will make different mods sound different to different ears, the Decibel meter will give you a true unbiased indication of the level of noise it makes!

To be honest I think your post is a disgrace, you are calling some members liars, you seem to have a real bad problem with Wildcat products as everytime they are mentioned you slag them off WHY.

To be honest I think your post is a disgrace, you are calling some members liars, you seem to have a real bad problem with Wildcat products as everytime they are mentioned you slag them off WHY.

hi mate,i started this post,im just looking for opinions,not arguments,everyone seems to have a different opinion,are you some way involved in the production of wildcat products?do you use one on your rifle?if so how do YOU find them,i see you from Birmingham,i lived there in hall green for a while.still have relatives there,regards,

Grow up, some members are liars, its a public forum, there are all sorts of keyboard experts here and on every forum you can think of.

It would be useful if you got your facts right as well, I don't "have a real bad problem with Wildcat products", I have a problem with any overpriced hyped poor product.

post-20848-0-52410800-1363854008_thumb.jpg

I run 3 Wildcat Predator 8 COMPACT mods on my centrefires because they offer a decent package of moderation, size, weight, price etc. Any thread you can find here on centrefire mods that I have contributed too you will find me suggesting the Wildcat P8 is a moderator I am very happy with and worthy of consideration by others.

The Whisper does not offer a decent package of moderation, size, weight, price etc on a rimfire in comparison with many/most other rimfire mods.

Edited by Dekers

that makes alot of sense,i guess the sak is as good as the rest,and cheaper,between 26 and 28 DB,i guess the human ear would hardly be able to tell the difference.

The decibel (dB) is a logarithmic unit and a 1dB change is significant.

Measured Decibel reduction

Whisper 23.3dB

SAK 26.9dB

LEI 27.5dB.

SM11 28.6dB

As I have already said, one point to note is tonal changes in the mods, regardless of how much they actually moderate the sound they pretty much all make the shot sound different, from a dull thud to a tinny twang and everything in between (but you will not find any mod to give you a dull thud when attached to a HMR or WMR, not even centrefire mods, I've tried them).

A decibel meter will produce an accurate unbiased comparison of products/noise levels, (it is NOT what someones ear thinks and is not influenced by any buying decision or personal feelings), and the results above clearly show the Whisper isn't good, it is also bigger, heavier and more expensive than the SAK.

I don't work for SAK and I am not promoting them or suggesting you buy one, I am doing my best to present facts for anyone to make an informed decision on. The Whisper is over barrel which may be a plus point for some people over the likes of a SAK, but the Whisper fails in every other area over a SAK, including warranty.

I have heard "talk" of the Whisper being used on the Hornet, if that is correct and it does an adequate job, then it could be viewed in another light for that application, certainly it would be at the very low end of price, size, weight for a centrefire mod. That doesn't change anything about it when sold/promoted/used as a rimfire mod.

Buy what you like and spend what you like. :good:

Edited by Dekers

ignoring reports, heresay, and opinion, I find it hard to pick against a SAK. It might make the overall package a little longer as it is a muzzle can (though it is a light one, so not any heavier). It might not be the quietest (though it actually might be for some). But for a rimfire or hornet (in my case 17) you can't beat £30. It is easily stripped and cleaned if you're so inclined. It silences a 22 sub to the firing pin. The hornet has a crack from the bullet, but the powder is fully moderated. I use a mod so I don't have to wear ear protection (except for the 22 with subs, in that case I'm looking for quiet) and I get that with the SAK. I've not tried others as I've not seen a need for me.

thanks

rick

the interesting thing is if you fire the HMR at point blank with a sak into the ground the noise isn't much louder than a .22lr its the down range crack you can't do much about.

yes the wildcat is built better and if you have the money then crack on but its delusional to say it makes much difference

I have heard "talk" of the Whisper being used on the Hornet, if that is correct and it does an adequate job, then it could be viewed in another light for that application, certainly it would be at the very low end of price, size, weight for a centrefire mod. That doesn't change anything about it when sold/promoted/used as a rimfire mod.

I have a Whisper on my .17 Hornet. Seems to do the job and I'm pleased with it. Put 200 rounds through it so far and the baffles still look new. I did think of putting a SAK on it but as the one I have on my HMR shows considerable erosion I decided to go with something else. I ordered a DM80 but that never materialised so took a gamble and put the Whisper on it. I rather think I made the right choice as it's light, short, up to the job and well made. Would I spend that sort of money on a mod for a HMR, I doubt it when I can buy 4 SAK's for the price and they work !!

I must try it on the HMR one day and see what it's like but to be quite frank as the SAK works so well I doubt I will ever try.

Grow up, some members are liars, its a public forum, there are all sorts of keyboard experts here and on every forum you can think of.

It would be useful if you got your facts right as well, I don't "have a real bad problem with Wildcat products", I have a problem with any overpriced hyped poor product.

post-20848-0-52410800-1363854008_thumb.jpg

I run 3 Wildcat Predator 8 COMPACT mods on my centrefires because they offer a decent package of moderation, size, weight, price etc. Any thread you can find here on certrefire mods that I have contributed too you will find me suggesting the Wildcat P8 is a moderator I am very happy with and worthy of consideration by others.

The Whisper does not offer a decent package of moderation, size, weight, price etc on a rimfire in comparison with many/most other rimfire mods.

The o/p has asked me not to turn this into a slanging match and I wont but have you ever put a post on where you have not put a downer on the subject being talked about. Woodydog.