What to do with the shot pigeons

Steview555

Hello all,

Newbie here and first thread and post, I am sure this has been done to death but I can't find an answer!!!!!

I have obtained permission to shoot a small bit of land near me in Hull. Bought some decoy gear of Ebay, 2 nets, 4 posts, 16 shells and 2 x bouncers, big bag and a chair also got a triple rotary feeder, so all the gear and no idea. :shoot:

I hope to go on my first day on Sunday but..... what do I do with the shot birds (assuming I find some and then hit em)

I haven't had time to see if any local butchers or restaurants would take them and my Mrs wouldn't appreciate a bag full of feathers /dead birds in the house, so how do I dispose of them?

Should I be shooting without means for disposal?

Steve

Edited by Steview555

Eat them, give them to friends, give them to neighbours, sell the rest to game dealer.

Should you shoot without a way to dispose? You can dispose - you can throw them in the hedgerow and let Charlie eat them that night - the debate is, in a world where food is expensive and people are starving, is that a morally correct thing to do?

I don't know the answer, I'll get my popcorn while other tell you the answer, but only you know what feels "right" to you - and remember your farmer/land owner may have a view too.

Eat them, give them to friends, give them to neighbours, sell the rest to game dealer.

Thanks for that guess I will have to find a game dealer somewhere.

I have read that some people freeze them, do you freeze them full or prepare them first? I thought preparing them meant you had to be licenced?

Cheers

Get yourself a second hand chest freezer put them in that till its full then take them to gamedealer.

Cheers, do I just freeze them whole, feathers and all.

Should I being using lead or steel shot?

Sorry for the silly questions but want to do it right if I can B)

I would pull the breast off (consult youtube for quickest method) then freeze them 2 in a bag-if you cannot find a game dealer and your mrs isnt keen then they are great for dog treats.

If you are unlikely to shoot large enough numbers to interest a Game Dealer (100's+), then this is the best suggestion.

You will be surprised how many friends and neighbours you have that will enjoy oven ready fresh meat.

Def get a freezer and fill it then take to game dealer.

We have 2 ex 'Iceland' glass top ones.

Once they get filled with pigeons rabbits and hares off to game dealer (some will collect!!)

None of our 'game' is gutted the dealer said 'guts in' so less work for us :good:

40p pigeons £1 rabbits £2.50 / £3 hares

Usually get a cheque for around £300 - £360

Edited by masmiffy

well!!!!

first day done, 3 birds flew into the pattern missed two and the third was in stealth mode by the time i saw it it was gone!!!!!

so blanked but I will not give up, to be fair the field i was told to shoot over was very new wheat so nothing of interest to the birds but at least my pattern brought a few in.

Better luck next time I hope. B)

Still saved money on cartridges :lol:

Having be born and bread in London I had a pretty negative association with the idea of eating pigeon (flying rats and all that) but since moving out a few years back and getting involved, learning (in no small part thanks to this forum) there is a huge difference between Ferrel's and woodies etc. I now think there is nothing better than a pan fried woodie breast - especially with a glass of vin plonk in red! So my view is, get the breasts out (ooooh err!) and check out the recipe section on here!!

I tend to just save the breast meat for the freezer and bin the rest (mrs went mental when I tried putting them whole in the freezer). What you can't eat, give away or sell. Enjoy!

Having be born and bread in London I had a pretty negative association with the idea of eating pigeon (flying rats and all that) but since moving out a few years back and getting involved, learning (in no small part thanks to this forum) there is a huge difference between Ferrel's and woodies etc. I now think there is nothing better than a pan fried woodie breast - especially with a glass of vin plonk in red! So my view is, get the breasts out (ooooh err!) and check out the recipe section on here!!

I tend to just save the breast meat for the freezer and bin the rest (mrs went mental when I tried putting them whole in the freezer). What you can't eat, give away or sell. Enjoy!

+1

I only shoot what i can eat, except clays and they can be a bit tough. Cant beat a bita breast on a saturday night!!

Not sure if this has been said yet but you can also use them for dog treats. Using the breast meat and slice thinly. Put on a baking tray in the bottom oven of the AGA or around 110C. Let cook well, you want to dry them right out. My dog just loves chewing these.

For humans most chicken recipes will work with pigeon too.