Roost Shooting

dazzyboi

Ok, so iv found an area on my permission with alot of activity from various species. Inside I have seen rabbits, squirrels, crows, pigeons. When you walk about there are pigeon droppings everywhere and feathers so its definitely an active pigeon area, and my first thought is having a go at roost shooting.

I have two options, to shoot them flying into the threshold of the woods or shoot them from inside the woods (obviously shotgun will be sporting shots).

Diagram below will help with an idea of surroundings to that particular woodland. When ever I sit on the outskirts I always have birds coming behind me to roost into the woods so if im nesstled inside the woods i can take advantage of both birds coming from front/back/left/right and not just front if i was set-up outside the woods.

shot9.JPG

Exuse the very bad drawing, cant use laptop touch mouse things.

I would definitely shoot from inside the wood, for lots of reasons.

Including, less chance of being spotted by the birds, no worrying that you are on the wrong side of the wood, sound dissipates causing confusion for the birds, etc.

You mention on your "squirrel" thread in Talk from the Field, that you have yet to shoot a flying pigeon.

Roost shooting can be the most difficult shooting there is, even good shooters see their cartridge/kill ration go down (usually).

I expect that is why it was suggested you have a few rounds of sporting clays and a few tips, before you give it a try.

Edit Note: my comments are really for February roost shooting, when there are no leaves on the trees.

If your woods are so dense and full of leaves (without any clearings, or rides), that you cannot see the birds flying over the trees, then you would have to shoot on the outside.

I would definitely shoot from inside the wood, for lots of reasons.

Including, less chance of being spotted by the birds, no worrying that you are on the wrong side of the wood, sound dissipates causing confusion for the birds, etc.

You mention on your "squirrel" thread in Talk from the Field, that you have yet to shoot a flying pigeon.

Roost shooting can be the most difficult shooting there is, even good shooters see their cartridge/kill ration go down (usually).

I expect that is why it was suggested you have a few rounds of sporting clays and a few tips, before you give it a try.

Edit Note: my comments are really for February roost shooting, when there are no leaves on the trees.

If your woods are so dense and full of leaves (without any clearings, or rides), that you cannot see the birds flying over the trees, then you would have to shoot on the outside.

Ill keep this in mind, i was aware that the roost shooting was more popular pre-leaf fall and im positive that these woods will give me what i need. I just need to find the best position. Maybe one evening ill walk over there without the gun and sit down to see where they come from

Until then ill be getting on the clays

Quite often depends on the wind and where they have been feeding that day to which way they approach the wood mate. When we are roost shooting in feb we normally go to the wood about 2.00 so we can sit and watch for a bit to try and work out the best method. good luck which ever way you do. Why dont you try starting off just on the inside and move deeper into the wood as ime goes. Put a dozen coys on the edge of the wood Cos they will quite often give you the edge. But as soon as the light starts to fade get they coys in cos the approaching woodies will no that is noy right.

No I just read your topic on squirrels and I think you need lessons from an instructor.......seriously,before you ever aim at another living thing !

HD so you don't like Taffys then? :stupid:

Not taking sides here but I will say it never ceases to amaze me how people with no knowledge, experience etc can get a license, a gun and go shooting live quarry. The standards I see of some peoples shooting abilities, their general lack of knowledge and simple common sense worries the hell out of me. I do think it would be a step in the right direction if all applicants had to take some sort of test before being allowed to go after live quarry.

No I just read your topic on squirrels and I think you need lessons from an instructor.......seriously,before you ever aim at another living thing !

HD so you don't like Taffys then? :stupid:

Not taking sides here but I will say it never ceases to amaze me how people with no knowledge, experience etc can get a license, a gun and go shooting live quarry. The standards I see of some peoples shooting abilities, their general lack of knowledge and simple common sense worries the hell out of me. I do think it would be a step in the right direction if all applicants had to take some sort of test before being allowed to go after live quarry.

you have to start somewhere, how many people on here used a .410 when they were very young and were allowed to aim at game or vermin. It'll be more than a few you can't become an ace shot without starting somewhere. Clays and instruction are one thing but its a big step from there to live quarry.

But to the poster, stand in the wood. The main reason most of us know roost shooting as a february activity is that on land that has game this is usually the only time you're allowed in the woods to shoot when there isn't leaf on the trees.

Al4x agreed we all have to start somewhere but with a lethal weapon??? you can't get to drive a car alone until you've passed your test but a gun??? I just think a little tuition/mentoring wouldn't go amiss. It's not simply the quarry and humane killing but the overall safety aspect. I've been shot (not badly I hasten to add) on several occassions and not just by novices just over excited people. A lot of FAO's want to see deer stalkers pass one or other DSC levels before being granted an FAC for deer stalking which in my opinion isn't so bad why not something similar for shotguns?

I do have to agree with the tutoring bit especially regarding safety. But in reality with shotguns no one I know of has a 100% kill ratio or doesn't ever wing one etc so whats the difference between a beginner missing and a good shot.

Mostly I was meaning we all start somewhere and he'd just got a load of stick straight away.

Al4x agreed we all have to start somewhere but with a lethal weapon??? you can't get to drive a car alone until you've passed your test but a gun??? I just think a little tuition/mentoring wouldn't go amiss. It's not simply the quarry and humane killing but the overall safety aspect. I've been shot (not badly I hasten to add) on several occassions and not just by novices just over excited people. A lot of FAO's want to see deer stalkers pass one or other DSC levels before being granted an FAC for deer stalking which in my opinion isn't so bad why not something similar for shotguns?

why do people insist that iv never shot a gun before?? Iv been shooting with an air rifle since the age of 16, im now 22, iv shot on and off with a shotgun before, but iv had a 3 year break so yes i am going to be rusty.Iv never partook in roost shooting before so yes thats why i am asking a question.

people wonder why i get hot headed sometimes.

None of you have met me, havnt shot me, therefore do NOT judge me.

:no:He who angers you conquers you.

:/:lol:The key to wisdom is this - constant and frequent questioning... for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth. :o :o

Shooting clays is not the same as shooting the real thing. After a few clays coming from the same direction they get a bit boring :P But it is always good to practice :stupid:

The only thing to be careful of is that you don't lose any birds that come down into the wood and you can't spot where they have come down :) Don't want to waste any :no:

Keep at it mate and it will come together :P

You are probably missing behind them, so swing in front of them and squeeze.

:stupid: Im going to stick up for dazzi here...........

Hes a "young un".....................but he is asking all the right questions.........

Im 32............been shooting air guns since I was 15..........then had about 15 years off..............

Then bought an expensive set up, because I could afford it. Loved it........and have shot it for the last 2 years.

I then decided to upgrade to 12g. I would probably say that dazzi may have a bit more experience in this front than what I have.

ive shot many things from 9mm to 7.62. but shooting the 12s is completely different.

People seem to jump on to people, Ive had many a chat with him over the MSN, hes a good lad............

a bit of a cockney chav.............. :no::P

but you get to love him after a while.......................bless him....................Ill welcome him onto my shoot anytime............

keep it up dazzi.................

Cheers LL, and im far from chav you cheeky begger!!!

I just feel that people are being led away from the fact that this is a Public forum, one of the main reasons its here is yes for disussion, but not only that for advice aswel.

Just because im 22 it doesnt mean im irrisponsible, doesnt mean im a chav (LL :stupid: ) and doesnt mean i wouldnt treat guns and the quarry with my upmost respect, as i certainly do! Iv been bought up to take shooting seriously by my father and his friend, and i have had a keen interest in them from an early age. As i said iv owned and been shooting with an air rifle since the age of 15/16, i also owned a shotgun in 2000 for abit but had to give it up. All i was asking was tips on roost shooting, so what?

Maybe some of you will get off your high horses and give people the advice they deserve, your not portraying a very good image for your sport are you? Your supposed to be taking people under your wing, showing people the sport, giving them tips and pointers.

Im not a bad shot as i proved on my first visit to the clay ground after not shooting for 3 years, but as someone has said, shooting clays is alot different from shooting live birds in the most challanging situations.

Well said. Recently asking a question on here has been like showing a rat to a bunch of terriers and things have got nasty. Not everyone is born knowing everything unfortunatly.

I started shooting similar to you starting on air rifles and then i got my shotgun at 16 had a go at some clays for a bit untill i was good enough at them and then moved on to live quarry but it is completley differnt to clays and takes a little while to get used to.

:no:He who angers you conquers you.

:/:lol:The key to wisdom is this - constant and frequent questioning... for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth. :o :o

Shooting clays is not the same as shooting the real thing. After a few clays coming from the same direction they get a bit boring :P But it is always good to practice :stupid:

The only thing to be careful of is that you don't lose any birds that come down into the wood and you can't spot where they have come down :) Don't want to waste any :no:

Keep at it mate and it will come together :P

You are probably missing behind them, so swing in front of them and squeeze.

I had the same problem on the clays, i was stopping during the sqeeze and shooting behind, after a few shots i corrected this though and was breaking them, guess i just need a few go's before and ill get it.

Sorry to keep on but again these are your quotes

**i still think i need some practise on some clays as im still yet to bring down a pigeon from the sky.

I have been down the clay ground for practise, and i plan to go again, but if i see a pigeon or a crow crossing when im out, im going to have a go**

That to my mind is totally irresponsible,you think you need some practice but will still have a go at a live animal :stupid: Tell me I`m wrong !

You go for it chavvyboi :no: I mean Dazzyboi :P I'm sure if you were out in the field and spotted a hard shot at a pigeon, you'd leave it. You seem like a reasonable lad to me. If an easy bird comes along, and you are confident of hitting it cleanly, then go for it. Only you know your limits, and as long as you shoot inside them and don't take chances, there shouldn't be a problem with it :stupid:

the poor guy is only asking for advice there is no need to knock him how things are at the mo we need to stick together The whole point of him askin the question was so he could gather info and do it correctly go out there have a good time and be safe. good luck mate let us know how you get on. :stupid:

Sorry to keep on but again these are your quotes

**i still think i need some practise on some clays as im still yet to bring down a pigeon from the sky.

I have been down the clay ground for practise, and i plan to go again, but if i see a pigeon or a crow crossing when im out, im going to have a go**

That to my mind is totally irresponsible,you think you need some practice but will still have a go at a live animal :lol: Tell me I`m wrong !

Ill disagree with you on this H...............i still need practice on birds..........

My hit ratio is below 2.1 on the clays.............Im not breaking 20s on a 25 bird shoot....... My highest has been 17 on sporting............

Clays and Live have 2 differences......................ones live......................the other ones Clay.

I think that the best "practice" is on live birds when your hunting.

yes you do not want to wing an let them get away.................

bring em down, clean if you can..............nothing is as clinical as my air gun.....