Fox problem

bravo2

After two years of boasting that there are not any foxes around my place and the free range chickens are quite safe I've finally had one snatched out of the coop - serves me right I guess.

Has anybody got any top tips on dealing with it, my current plan is to rig some bait up to a remote doorbell (about £7 off ebay) and when it goes off I will take it from an upstairs window. I live relatively out in the sticks and the coop is about 40yds from the house so should be ok with my 17HMR and a decent torch. My only other thought was to try and get hold of one of those traps (although they are not cheap to buy) and once charlie is imprisoned would be a simple job to dispatch.

Anybody tried either of the the above or got any better ideas - all advice welcome?

if the chicken is still about then leave it outside the pen and sit watching as it gets dark tonight, peg it down so a fox can't just run off with it. If its gone then get a tin of dog food and spread it about same deal watch from inside and shoot it when it appears. I'd be tempted to try and leave downstairs lights on or somethng to illuminate the area subtly rather than try and lamp it. For starters you are close and secondly you never know if its a shy one

Thanks for the replies - I am not 100% sure it was a fox but what else - feral cat? The coop was full of feathers and clearly there had been a disturbance - the surviving chickens had done a runner into the night, but there was only one missing, no blood or remains to speak of, just feathers. The hole they go in and out of (can't remember what they call it) is standard kind about 7"x6" and that was how it got in and out. I will try bait and stake out until the doorbell arrives... good point on lighting, might just be able to do it with light from the house as I have a reasonable scope.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Footprints, feathers bitten thru,syliva on feathers , fur on wire.

Rats,stoats,weasles ect take chickens.

Foxes usually kill a few. Just niping the birds and eating the heads.

Badgers will to but generally eat the bum first and will just wreck the wire/pen.

Rats ect will nip the birds and drag them. Usually not far and they like small breeds.

Usually you can find the carrcus.

Foxes will carry them a couple of hundred yards away and eat them, leaving the wings and backbone.

This time of year tho it could of been took to a den for the cubbing vixen.

Edited by cockercas

These are full sized rhode islands so not an easy target for a small predator. I have tried to find clues but it has been raining and snowing constantly. If bait is gone tomorrow I'll look for footprints around it. My worry is Charlie will dig under the fence and raid the coop again before I get him... Let battle commence.

These are full sized rhode islands so not an easy target for a small predator. I have tried to find clues but it has been raining and snowing constantly. If bait is gone tomorrow I'll look for footprints around it. My worry is Charlie will dig under the fence and raid the coop again before I get him... Let battle commence.

Your worry is right.

Once a fox knows theres a food source he will visit untill its depleted, or better food source becomes availibal.

Had a similar scenario but instead of a door bell i ran some heavy fishing line from the pegged down hen through an open window into a bucket in the bedroom, 42 grams of 3s sorted the problem. Can you not put a snare on the perimeter of the coop? Charlie normally likes to have a look all round to try an find a weak spot. good luck.

Update - the doorbell fox-alarm was really simple to make and works a treat (anybody wants photos/design then just let me know). So at 4:22 this morning it goes off and I'm at the window in seconds.... and much to my disappointment there is a black cat tucking into some lovely chicken wings. Now if I had any way of knowing for certain it was feral I would have had no hesitation in shooting it, but I wasn't about to execute somebody's pet, so I let it carry on and it ate the lot, not even a bone left when I checked at 8am!

I guess my next question is, and I fear I already know the answer, is there any way of working out if the cat is domestic or feral, bearing in mind it is at 40yds in poor light? Might have to revert to a cage trap and at least then I can release any pet cats unscathed.

Edited by bravo2

Update - the doorbell fox-alarm was really simple to make and works a treat (anybody wants photos/design then just let me know). So at 4:22 this morning it goes off and I'm at the window in seconds.... and much to my disappointment there is a black cat tucking into some lovely chicken wings. Now if I had any way of knowing for certain it was feral I would have had no hesitation in shooting it, but I wasn't about to execute somebody's pet, so I let it carry on and it ate the lot, not even a bone left when I checked at 8am!

I guess my next question is, and I fear I already know the answer, is there any way of working out if the cat is domestic or feral, bearing in mind it is at 40yds in poor light? Might have to revert to a cage trap and at least then I can release any pet cats unscathed.

Simple way to tell.

Tiddles wears a collar, ferals dont.

If you can fire an HMR in your garden, you are miles from anywhere and a cat is likely to be feral - however, if there are houses within 1 mile it could be a pet - question is, if its the confirmed killer, would tiddles owner pay for the chicken you lost ? Chances are it is more likely a fox or badger - I would try again and on the third time ________.

All fair points - and yes I'm far enough away from anywhere to fire the HMR (as several dozen bunnies will testify), but about 1/2 mile away there are a few bungalows that have mostly elderly residents and I would not be happy to deprive some old dear of her only company. I think a cat is a possible culprit, but absence of collar is not reliable enough for me sorry, however if it is obviously feral then I won't hesitate.... still back to the problem that I can only really tell in daylight.

• 2 weeks later...

For anybody that is interested the answer was..... a big feral cat. Managed to trap it very easily, turned out to be the same one I had in my sights on the first night but didn't take the shot as wasn't sure if it was feral or not.... better safe than sorry though. Once I got to look at it close up there was no question so job done. Trap and bait left out for several nights now with no more takers, chickens are unmolested and no posters up saying 'have you seen mittens?'.

Anybody want a loan of a decent fox trap in North Yorks give me a shout... think I'm done with it for a while (I hope).

There was a post on here I think by frenchie he had an old clock tied the battery with fishing line and put a rabbit on the other end ,fox snatched the bait loosened the battery and clock stopped he new wot time roughly to wait for him and bang the following day ,keep saying I'm going to try it

For anybody that is interested the answer was..... a big feral cat. Managed to trap it very easily, turned out to be the same one I had in my sights on the first night but didn't take the shot as wasn't sure if it was feral or not.... better safe than sorry though. Once I got to look at it close up there was no question so job done. Trap and bait left out for several nights now with no more takers, chickens are unmolested and no posters up saying 'have you seen mittens?'.

Anybody want a loan of a decent fox trap in North Yorks give me a shout... think I'm done with it for a while (I hope).

Don't have a fox problem, but I would love to see some pics of your door bell method, and I'm sure others would too

Rich

It is fairly simple - just a weight on a rod suspended above the pushbutton and held there with a pin, attach pin to bait. Once bait is taken and the pin pulled the weight and rod press the button and the bell goes off. I used some 15mm pipe and a bit of old lead I had lying around. The main issue is probably range - mine was only 40yds away and ok but I doubt you would get much more than 100yds (doorbell claims 150yds line of sight) and that is on full batteries. For an upgraded version you could possibly use a handheld radio and position the rod over the 'call' button, you would then get full walkie-talkie range. For the deluxe version maybe a cheap PAYG mobile phone, dial in your number and suspend over the dial button.... you could then get the alarm anywhere in the world.

Here is the piccie of mine, it is heath robinson but does work, with a little extra time it could be smartened up quite a bit. I used an upturned plastic container to keep the rain off but I guess putting the whole thing in a bag or wrapping in clingfilm would work just as well and make it less conspicuous.

IMG_1285.jpg

As someone who has lost a lovely pet cat to an idiot with an air rifle (incidently he was shot whilst in my garden from woods beside my house), I am really pleased to see that good people do take the time to make sure that they're not killing someones pet.

If someone had told me that my cat had killed a chicken and was about to be shot, I would have apologised, happily paid for the chicken and kept the cat indoors.