Boswell, Charles London sxs sidelock

£1,150

12 gauge Shotgun Private Seller
Used - Very Good Condition south ockendon, Essex
Side by Side, 1/4 Choke, 1/2 Choke, 30" barrels
Img_1705 Img_1707 Img_1720

Description

Charles Boswell Sidelock London SXS circa 1880

I have for sale my stunning Charles Boswell Sidelock London SXS handmade around 1880 in London, When I bought this gun I said I would never sell it as it has seen so much history and shoots like a dream, But due to a change of circumstances it is indeed now up for sale, And I am sure it will make somebody very happy. The woodwork is in stunning condition considering it is around 132 years old , the engraving is also in very good condition even the screws are engraved ! the barrels have been re-sleeved meaning that this gun will carry on being able to be used as it was intended to for a long long time, it shoots like a dream, the Lop is 14 ¼, The barrel length is 30 “,This gun has been fully serviced and re-tightened by local gun maker Andy Tennant and only had a hand full of cartridges put thru her since then, also included is a stunning brown leather motor box. I will consider a swap or px either way for a browning 325/525 or Miroku

This gun is being sold by Pigeon Watch member cempa. Message them here

Hi Blaster

Non Ejector.......

Hi Washman

Thanks for the offer but really looking along the lines of a browning/Miroku Sporter...(.i dont know a thing about beretta 3.5 magnum but dont think it would be any good for clays ? ) which is all i would probably be shooting now...But good luck

A little bit about Charles Boswell....

Charles Boswell was the son of a Butcher; he was born in December 1850 in the village of Hertford, north of London. A passion for shooting and a keen interest in guns led him to enter servitude to become a gunmaker at the age of 14.

Beginning with Mr. Thomas Gooch, a traditional gunmaker in the village of Hertford, young Boswell progressed to gain employment in the Royal Small Arms factory in Enfield. On completion of his apprenticeship, he married and opened his own business in Edmonton, with repairs and gun fittings comprising the majority of his early work.
He was a competitive live pigeon shot of some considerable talent and his frequent wins at Hendon Shooting grounds and Hornsey Wood soon brought him to the attention of his fellow trap shooters. By the mid-1870’s, he had developed a substantial business in the fitting and making of custom pigeon guns.
Preferring to use tried and tested patents of other manufactures, his guns established a reputation for quality and reliability, as a result, many were sent abroad.

In June, 1883, he moved to the address with which he is most associated, 126 The Strand, London, WCI. As manufacturing live pigeon guns were his specialty, it is little surprise that the recession following the First World War and the banning of live pigeon shooting greatly affected his business.

The live pigeon gun was Charles Boswell’s trade mark gun, and there are many spectacular examples still put to good use today.

• 4 months later...