hi all have just taken in another dog and she is a bit under weight and needs feeding up

i have wormed her bathed her and flea,d her had her a week and a half now and feeding her 3 times a day slowly increasing the ammount of food in the bowl

shes getting dr john silver [wich i have fed my other dog jess on for ages and she got a full clean bill of health last week at vets ] and a little tinned food and sometimes some plain pasta added.

but as of yet she hasnt gained weight [hasnt lost any tho] but she is deffo a lot happier now and has a lovely shinny coat is in herself fine and full of beans and of a cracking temprament and most importantly for me my otherdog and her get along like a house on fire [she,s a black lab gundog and my jess is springer pointer x].

so as i,ve never had to do owt like this before any help tips would be helpfull

Edited by hodge911

Hi Hodge,

Been looking around to help you a little, this seems to be good advise,

Monitoring a Dog or Cat's Weight

“The key is to put on weight gradually. This way the body systems are not stressed and the gain is more likely to be permanent,” explained Dr. Michael Levine, DVM. “The first thing you need is a scale. Whether it’s weight gain or loss, it’s going to be difficult to notice a change if it's gradual. So weekly weigh-ins are a good start.”

In fact, weekly weight checks can be a vital tool in diagnosing a more serious problem, because if an owner is taking active measures to help a pet gain weight, but the pet loses weight or the pet won't gain weight at all, then this could be indicative of a serious, underlying problem like a malabsorption disorder. So additional tests at the veterinarian's office may be required.

How to Help a Dog or Cat Gain Weight

Dr. Levine also offered the following advice to help a pet gain weight:

• Supplement cat or dog kibble and commercial dog foods by adding fresh “people” foods to each meal. Fresh meats, fish, eggs, cheese and vegetables are key, although owners should introduce new foods gradually to avoid a cat or dog with an upset stomach.
  • Muscle is often consumed by the body when fat reserves are depleted, so a portion of the pet's weight gained needs to be muscle. Muscles contain a great deal of protein and this protein is required for development of new muscle and mass, so high-protein foods are key for weight gain. When the high-protein food (which has lots of amino acids) is consumed, the amino acids are absorbed and carried in the blood to the muscles, which use the amino acids to build new mass.
  • For treats, instead of giving dog treats, offer fresh vegetables like carrots or celery, which are wonderful sources of nutrients.
  • Switch to a high-quality puppy food, which is higher proteins and other elements that are necessary to promote growth of muscle mass and fat.
  • For very thin pets suffering from more serious cases of weight loss, speak to your vet about switching to a high-calorie prescription food, like Hill’s A/D diet for pets.
  • Feed the dog or cat three or four medium-sized meals each day.
  • To help a cat or dog gain weight, promote rest and sleep for the two hours following each meal. This will help temporarily slow the digestion process, allowing for the absorption of more calories and nutrients.
  • Begin a daily low-impact exercise regime, comprised of an activity like walking or swimming. This will help promote the formation of muscle mass, much of which is depleted during a time of illness.
  • Give the thin pet a daily multi-vitamin supplement. Pet vitamins will help provide necessary nutrients and vitamins in a pet’s diet.

“One very important thing to understand is that we do not want to feed fatty foods. People think weight gain and they think fatty foods. That’s not what we’re aiming for with a pet – we’re looking for a healthy weight gain comprised of muscle and some fat. In fact, fatty foods can have the opposite effect, as you can see vomiting, diarrhea and even life-threatening conditions, like pancreatitis in dogs and cats, so it’s important to feed healthy foods, rich in nutrients – not fatty foods,” Dr. Levine concluded.

There are many methods that can be used to help a pet gain weight, but helping a thin pet is something that must be done gradually. Sudden weight gain can be harmful to a pet's health.

Read more at Suite101: How to Help a Dog or Cat Gain Weight | Suite101 http://suite101.com/article/tips-for-weight-gain-in-pets-a59382#ixzz2O4fZ8vlo

Follow us: @suite101 on Twitter | Suite101 on Facebook

Hope dog gains healthy weight soon

Hi Hodge,

Been looking around to help you a little, this seems to be good advise,

Monitoring a Dog or Cat's Weight

“The key is to put on weight gradually. This way the body systems are not stressed and the gain is more likely to be permanent,” explained Dr. Michael Levine, DVM. “The first thing you need is a scale. Whether it’s weight gain or loss, it’s going to be difficult to notice a change if it's gradual. So weekly weigh-ins are a good start.”

In fact, weekly weight checks can be a vital tool in diagnosing a more serious problem, because if an owner is taking active measures to help a pet gain weight, but the pet loses weight or the pet won't gain weight at all, then this could be indicative of a serious, underlying problem like a malabsorption disorder. So additional tests at the veterinarian's office may be required.

How to Help a Dog or Cat Gain Weight

Dr. Levine also offered the following advice to help a pet gain weight:

• Supplement cat or dog kibble and commercial dog foods by adding fresh “people” foods to each meal. Fresh meats, fish, eggs, cheese and vegetables are key, although owners should introduce new foods gradually to avoid a cat or dog with an upset stomach.
  • Muscle is often consumed by the body when fat reserves are depleted, so a portion of the pet's weight gained needs to be muscle. Muscles contain a great deal of protein and this protein is required for development of new muscle and mass, so high-protein foods are key for weight gain. When the high-protein food (which has lots of amino acids) is consumed, the amino acids are absorbed and carried in the blood to the muscles, which use the amino acids to build new mass.
  • For treats, instead of giving dog treats, offer fresh vegetables like carrots or celery, which are wonderful sources of nutrients.
  • Switch to a high-quality puppy food, which is higher proteins and other elements that are necessary to promote growth of muscle mass and fat.
  • For very thin pets suffering from more serious cases of weight loss, speak to your vet about switching to a high-calorie prescription food, like Hill’s A/D diet for pets.
  • Feed the dog or cat three or four medium-sized meals each day.
  • To help a cat or dog gain weight, promote rest and sleep for the two hours following each meal. This will help temporarily slow the digestion process, allowing for the absorption of more calories and nutrients.
  • Begin a daily low-impact exercise regime, comprised of an activity like walking or swimming. This will help promote the formation of muscle mass, much of which is depleted during a time of illness.
  • Give the thin pet a daily multi-vitamin supplement. Pet vitamins will help provide necessary nutrients and vitamins in a pet’s diet.

“One very important thing to understand is that we do not want to feed fatty foods. People think weight gain and they think fatty foods. That’s not what we’re aiming for with a pet – we’re looking for a healthy weight gain comprised of muscle and some fat. In fact, fatty foods can have the opposite effect, as you can see vomiting, diarrhea and even life-threatening conditions, like pancreatitis in dogs and cats, so it’s important to feed healthy foods, rich in nutrients – not fatty foods,” Dr. Levine concluded.

There are many methods that can be used to help a pet gain weight, but helping a thin pet is something that must be done gradually. Sudden weight gain can be harmful to a pet's health.

Read more at Suite101: How to Help a Dog or Cat Gain Weight | Suite101 http://suite101.com/...2#ixzz2O4fZ8vlo

Follow us: @suite101 on Twitter | Suite101 on Facebook

Hope dog gains healthy weight soon

thanks for that mate seems to have some very good advice to follow ......off to get some puppy food when local supplier opens.

new dog is an absolute corker and is settling really well and is very affectionate to myself and the mrs and jess .

had a couple misshaps on the floor overnight [thank god for ceramic floor tiles] but for the last 3 nights have been clean and has gone to loo as soon as i get up [6.30am] and let them into garden shes doing both .

is trained to the whistle/hand signals walks to heel on and off lead

Hi Hodge,

You very welcome, I was the old school type, feed fatty to get them fat, but I have learned a little, far much healthier in the long run.

I think that article its really good advise.

Chuffed that your new addition doing well and settling too, post some photoes if you have time.

Hi Hodge,

You very welcome, I was the old school type, feed fatty to get them fat, but I have learned a little, far much healthier in the long run.

I think that article its really good advise.

Chuffed that your new addition doing well and settling too, post some photoes if you have time.

first pic kim the new addition

second the 2 girls........

OOOOOPPPPSSSS ust been told off by the mrs for putting pics up with the house in this state ......... busy waiting for builders to come and hack all plaster off walls and rip the floor out to install damp courses :whistling: :whistling: :lol:

post-12398-0-67979800-1363860589_thumb.jpg

post-12398-0-03307200-1363860612_thumb.jpg

Edited by hodge911

Protein does not add weight, it builds and repairs muscle but too much will drive the dog loopy and I would be very wary of feeding puppy food to an adult dog for that reason, that and the possibility of an upset stomach.

Increased portions of good quality complete food will build up her weight slowly, and some dogs react well to good quality (key) wet food as a supplement - natures diet from berriewood wholesale is reasonable value, good quality food. In terms of which complete dry food you have her on, if what you are using works then keep using it. If it is not working, I have tried a lot of different foods from cheapest to most expensive and keep coming back to Arden Grange.

I have been feeding Burns High energy Lamb for the last 6-8mnths after not being a believer in completes for a long time. Struggled to keep weight on the lab during season and needed something better for traveling / lunchtime feeds- But off season this stuff is maybe a bit too much and it certainly needs scaling back to half the amount or less. Tinned food BTW is total junk mainly water (poor value) if you doubt this leave some out someplace away from vermin and examine it when dried there is practically nothing left! If you want to feed higher fat and protein try cheap chicken especially the fatty skins and make a good stock out of the carcasses then cook rice and veg in it.

If I'm not mistaken Hodge if thats a GWP cross springer you must have your hands full!

OH YES !! you aint wrong there mate but wouldnt change her for the world she,s 4yr old gone september and still as fast on the ground as the day i got her at 10 weeks .

funny as hell to watch work ......covers ground like a spaniel then if she finds something in the thick goes on point but with tail going like a propeller til told to get on then flushes.

kim is just the oppisite very quiet and typical lab

whey hey a little good news kims put 1lb on ....... not alot i know but its step in the right direction

another little Q tho peeps whats the best way to clean her teeth the canines are a bit grubby and her breath honks !!!! having said that her breath is not as bad as when i got her

That's very good news Hodge...great work, the last thing that you want it's the dog gaining weight to fast, a steady increase of weight will be healthier for it. Well done both

Have you been following all of that healthy eating advice?

For cleaning teeth raw bones does the job pretty well, deer legs are even better with skin and hoofs on or the head, seemingly the fur acts as a toothbrush as well as chewing action on the bones. U get those plstic chew things designed for it but my dogs always prefer the bones even old ones.

Have u tried feeding a bit of tripe, most dogs really enjoy it althou if ur dog is putting wieght on steadily u seem to be doing fine with wot ur doing, tripe fair makes the coat shine

whey hey a little good news kims put 1lb on ....... not alot i know but its step in the right direction

another little Q tho peeps whats the best way to clean her teeth the canines are a bit grubby and her breath honks !!!! having said that her breath is not as bad as when i got her

Both my dogs get a dental chew every day - they both have immaculate white teeth with no bad breath (unless they pick up or eat unpleasant things) - much easier than trying to brush them. They also have hide chews but only under supervision as they can choke on small pieces easily.

Bad breath is also a symptom of worms! I should go to the vet and get them to prescribe a worming treatment again. Raw beef bones are the best teeth cleaners (Large ones)

Bad breath is also a symptom of worms! I should go to the vet and get them to prescribe a worming treatment again. Raw beef bones are the best teeth cleaners (Large ones)

wormed her a week ago mate with tablets from vets that i use for jess .[buy 20 at a time ] and worm every 3 month

like i say her breath isnt as bad now then when i got her

the improvement continues .............total weight gain since I got her 3.5lb but shes getting better in other ways 6 days now without mess/wee in room [oh my god am I pleased we got ceramic floor tiles] and her and jess are bestest buddies.

she is one very affectionate dog and obedient to boot

oh found out her breeding her bloodlines are ; drakeshead and sandringham not that that means owt to me !!!!

post-12398-0-37357500-1364296252_thumb.jpg

Edited by hodge911

Hi

I had this with a 4 year old springer that I took in,I tried all things but nothing seemed to work, it took about six weeks then she started gaining weight to the extent we had to watch it.

I put the lack of weight gain to the stress of moving into a different place, she also became a house rather than a kennel dog

Mick

. Tinned food BTW is total junk mainly water (poor value) if you doubt this leave some out someplace away from vermin and examine it when dried there is practically nothing left!

Kent if we left you to dry out there wouldn`t be much left we`re all 90 odd percent water :)