Land Rover Discovery oil leak!!!

Daz1986

I have had my disco for a few days now and noticed a few good patches of oil on the drive each time after use!!! I had in to a local garage this morn and paid £30 for the engine to be cleaned!!!! They said it looks like the crank shaft seal is goosed!!! So I have a few questions about this

1. Is this end ex for the landy

2. Can it still be driven with a watchful eye on the oil level

3. Will it knacker my cam belt !!

I can't see where it is leaking from on the pics but I'm guessing that its from the front seal. Good news is if it is the front then the engine doesn't have to come out, bad news is that the cam belt has to come off to get to it. It isn't a hard job providing you are confident doing a cam belt once you put it back together.

PM me and I can talk you through step by step if you want or I can tell you what to tell the garage so the dont try charging you a arm and a leg. It is only 20 mins extra work than a cam belt change

It looks like a 300tdi, so what this fella says is right

I can't see where it is leaking from on the pics but I'm guessing that its from the front seal. Good news is if it is the front then the engine doesn't have to come out, bad news is that the cam belt has to come off to get to it. It isn't a hard job providing you are confident doing a cam belt once you put it back together.

PM me and I can talk you through step by step if you want or I can tell you what to tell the garage so the dont try charging you a arm and a leg. It is only 20 mins extra work than a cam belt change

Can it still be driven for the time being?? Have 2 weeks left before I go back to the Middle East so don't really have the time to get her in?

yeah shouldn't be a problem, at worst the cam belt would let go which results in bent push rods, not the biggest problem to put right, only cost a couple of quid

I had a disco 300 tdi it had an oil leak

So I changed the cam and crank seal + cam belt

It still leaked oil when I towed the caravan

After around 20000 mile the cam belt broke

Got towed back from Devon car and caravan

So I fitted a new belt cam and crank seals + had diesel leak on the pump done

Every day when I started it up I had a oil leak for around 5mins then I stoped

It left a trail of oil down the road from my drive

So did a px for a Nissan patrol

Still liked the disco

Most disco's leak, Fact, you will struggle to stop them leaking, keep an eye on the oil level make sure it doen't drop too low.

A small leak like that will be fine, to drive for now.

Change the cam belt as soon as you can to see if there is any damage.

I must have one of the only disco 1's that doesn't leak any oil at all. and yes it has oil in it before anyone asks.

I.ve got the same problem.

I think its the rear camshaft seal below the head.

I had a new rocker gasket fitted but that didn,t cure it.

not to sure where you mean but check the breather hose from the rocker cover to the block they very often crack and leak Edited by Paul223

Can it still be driven for the time being?? Have 2 weeks left before I go back to the Middle East so don't really have the time to get her in?

How much is leaking while running? If its not visibly ******* out then you will be fine. When I say visibly ******* out I mean a consent stream of oil coming out from there. Just make sure you carry oil with you

Edited by Gilberts1989

Well it seem to look loads on the drive and where ever I stop but when I checked the dipstick this morning it was still full!!! How much do I need to lose before I notice the loss?

It will look loads on the floor because of the splash. A 300 tdi it holds 6.9 ltrs of oil in total, around about a ltr loss should be noticeable on the stick

Plus the oil is a lot thinner when it's warm so it will look like more in the floor

Did you over fill it. If it still full on three stick?

The oil will thin down when it is hot so it will look like more than what it would do when it's cold. I reckon that it hasn't lost all that much. If it was over filled that much it would of been smoking loads because it would be burning the oil in the cylinders

My front crankshaft seal got shredded by the woodruff key on my 300tdi and I lost about half a ltr on a 50 mile trip.

Just keep a eye on it daz and you will be fine. Just keep some oil with you. Surely on your pop star wages (presuming you do CP work in the Middle East) you can get it in the garage when you back :lol:

Edited by Gilberts1989

The oil will thin down when it is hot so it will look like more than what it would do when it's cold. I reckon that it hasn't lost all that much. If it was over filled that much it would of been smoking loads because it would be burning the oil in the cylinders

My front crankshaft seal got shredded by the woodruff key on my 300tdi and I lost about half a ltr on a 50 mile trip.

Just keep a eye on it daz and you will be fine. Just keep some oil with you. Surely on your pop star wages (presuming you do CP work in the Middle East) you can get it in the garage when you back :lol:

Pop star wages lol!!! It's taken a huge drop over the few years.. I will get her in as soon as and hope it serves me well for a shooting truck.. Thanks for all the advice on here guys.. I have been quoted between £100-£700 to fix the leak, I will carry oil in the back and hope it motors on till I get home