it gets to a point where enough is enough

jasper3

Mr Soft touch as i have now named myself.....

Mum has had a 2nd house (3 Bedroom) for 8 years ..she rented it out to a guy for £400 a month... and never put the rent up

late last year..he said the boiler was going wrong... (mum is now in a home with alzheimers) so i run her 2 houses..so i replace the boiler with a brand new one..;. my plumber fitted it (Gas Registered)

I get a message today stating that the boiler is not working correctly... what am i going to do about it..... He is a gas boiler engineer ...he also told me the toilet seat is broken and if he replaces it..he will charge me..now i know renting houses out carries a responsibility to the tenant, but surely some people must realise they are on to a good thing when rents for the same size property is £600 per month

all i ever wanted was enough to top up mums care fees... thats why i didn't charge the lad more......

i have just told him..I am now selling the house and he will have to find another place to live...I honestly would help out anyone..but feel this guy has just taken the **** one to many times

thats what i thought... i wasn't looking to make a profit, as the houses will be mine when mum passes..just wanted to keep the care fees paid...

but as the title says..enough is enough.. yet the other tenant who rents mums main house pays £600 a month is good as gold and keeps the house up to scratch.....

Keep emotion out of business. You dont want to be friends with tenants, Your responsibility is to provide a sound, regulated house, to be fair, but to always charge the market rate. You are not a charity and if it was me i would up the rent to the market rate and not sell. He will probably stay and end up not bothering you again. p.s. You can get a bog seat for a tenner and fit in 10 mins.

Edited by unapalomablanca

have you given him his notice? or is telling him you are selling the house the message to leave the property?

i know what you mean about the rent. have a couple in one of my houses. not touched the rent even though its more in the current market. i know they are finding it hard to make ends meet. but the house is perfect, they never miss a payment and never been any trouble in all their years there. hard to find good tennats like that

I hope that you now what you are doing with care fees being what they are if you sell the house they may expect you to pay all of here fees and you will end up loosing all of the money just a thought.

It's a fair thought but you don't know Jasp. He knows which way is up but I know full well that for him Mum comes first by a Devon mile and money lags way behind. Having said that, I would imagine the threat to sell the house was in order to concentrate the oink's mind.

at the moment ..telling him the house is being sold as mums care fees are rising..(Which is the truth) . i will more than likely buy another house closer to me so i can keep on top of things... unfortunately when mum became ill she didn't keep up with things..the house is in perfect order and as i said..a new boiler was fitted in December

he is just one of those people who take take take ....maybe i am judging him on my own standards..when people look after me..i look after them, when i know i am getting a good deal, i appreciate it....

I hope that you now what you are doing with care fees being what they are if you sell the house they may expect you to pay all of here fees and you will end up loosing all of the money just a thought.

I pay mums £2,500.00 monthly , so no worries on that front

to be honest , upping the rent would take to long..you can only up a certain percentage in the time of the contract i.e. if you have a 6 month contract you can only increase by about 10% in that period and i believe you both have to come to that agreement, if that fails you can get a....THING,..that will terminate the contract...

it would be easier to sell and re-buy and start as i mean to go on

I really hate being like this, as i said..i am a soft touch.. but onced crossed i tend to turn green and uptight :lol:

It's his duty undertake minor repairs anyway? I should imagine the toilet seat comes under this.

As for the boiler that is your responsibility unfortunately regardless of the rent he is paying, if I were you as has already been said serve him notice and get the rent to market value abduction get yourself some new tennants.

Will probably be easier and hopefully less stress which no doubt you could do without right now given the current housing situation.

Karpman

Tell him your ending his contract at the end of the agreed term and re-rent when he's gone. When he does leave take the cost of the toilet seat 'he' broke out of the bond.....

Thats what i thought... Far easier.

just dont renew the contract or give him his notice to quit. i dont know the agreement but with our tennants, its their responsibility if they break something!

All this gung ho talk of chucking him out ?

Does he have a tenancy agreement ? Has it any time to run or has it expired ? If it has expired....have you let him stay on basically on a rolling month to month basis ?

As a tenant myself,

my understanding is that without a tenancy agreement he has very few rights and should be easier to evict.

Perhaps, have a word to him and remind him that as a responsible and law abiding landlord whilst you're happy to have someone look at/repair the boiler, You have also checked into the current rental market and found that his rent could be significantly more should he find the need to rent elsewhere !!