recomend me a winch please

viking

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really rate super winch, thos and warn are the two top dogs, you've already bought it now but I always prefer to mount my winches on the rear of the vehicle, generally speaking if you get in a muddle you want to pull yourself out of it not further in, also for what they cost a snatch block is always a handy thing to have as you can double your line pull, but yeah nice one you won't go wrong with what you've bought there!

Your absolutely right you can do it but as you say you need several snatch blocks, and several anchor points, it's as broad as it is long and people always stick with what they know, but personally I find a rear mounted winch works far better, front mounted your always pulling yourself further into a problem to then get out, and odds are you've gotta turn round and come back through it again, another thing you'll find is if you try and help somebody out who's in a muddle you'll start winching and the first thing somebody inexperienced will do is plant there right foot to the floor soon as they get grip DOMPH! Busted rad, busted lights, engine damage you name it, rear mounted should that situation arise they have a stinkin great towbar to greet them, I've seen it happen so many times its unreal, again all I'm saying is my personal preference is rear mounted, the traditional front mounted has equal merit...

I must admit have always wondered that why all winches on the front, for the reasons mentioned above. Will have to have a look on utube to see how u pull urself backwards, but i dare say the problem will be having enough tree's in the right places, often wet holes doen't have a lot of trees as simply to wet for them. Or not the ones i get stuck in, granted usually with quad and almost always managed to dig myself out

On a practiclal note for a ground anchor why don'y u just use 2 peices of either 2" flat bar or angle and get a bolt to hold them together so still hinges and get an engineer/blacksmith to drill some big holes in it to take metal pins.

Would also strongly reccommend hexagonal 1's as others have said far easier to pull out the ground, Used to put marquee's up as a summer job and normal round pins can be a nightmare to pull out esp when u have 00's to do

im going on a course for the afternoon at the land rover experiance place at coniston, althougfh i cant see it being rocket sience for just pulling myself out of a muddy field now and again, but id rathe do a course than find out the hard way.

all this advice on what bling to buy, has anyone asked if he knows how to use one?

get someone to teach you,you can do a lot of damage to yourself and others.

im going on a course for the afternoon at the land rover experiance place at coniston, althougfh i cant see it being rocket sience for just pulling myself out of a muddy field now and again, but id rathe do a course than find out the hard way.

tell me that when you have done the course, :lol: