recomend me a winch please

viking

hi all, im going to buy a winch for my defender 90, i have no idea of what is a good make or what sort i would need, and would i need to buy a winch bumper too. i dont go off roading or anything, so its only for if i get stuck whilst out shooting.

cheers, Lee

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As said above Warn are as good as you'll get, they're expensive but worth it !

Goodwinch used to do a range of winches called the Goldfish or TDS - I used to have 1 fitted in a home made winch box in the rear cross member of my V8 90 Defender it stood up to a lot of use & abuse - I had a Warn XP up front.

If you intend to ever rely on don't buy a cheap one

HTH

me and my mates using champion 6 tonne'rs. used mine on my truck a few times now, my mates got the same as me and always getting dug in. both still working, come with wireless and wired leads (iv wired mine up into the dash).

only cost £250 each.. time will tell if they last i suppose!

I have this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECOVERY-WINCH-13000-lb-12v-4x4-WINCH-IT-2012-SPEC-NEW-MOTOR-COOLER-W-less-rem-/250983944482

not had a need to try it out yet .not got stuck :good: but tried it in the yard .attached it to a winch point on a access platform put the brakes on and got winching .the platform did not move but the landy left 4 skid marks landy 2ish ton platform 12ton :lol: but the winch never faulted.

its also mounted on this.

http://www.firstfour.co.uk/products/winch-bumpers/winch-mounts/winch-mounts-for-series-land-rover

Edited by fruitloop

iv been looking at the winch in a box, is it powerfull enought though, its only 4000lb, ofter doing some reading they recomend a pull of 50% more than the weight of your vehicle, so at around 3000kg were looking at a pull of about 6600lb. i think?

Is it possible to get a winch which can mount onto a vehicle towbar?

PS while looking around I found this which looks like the best deal i could find...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAMPION-C12000CTA-12000LB-ELECTRIC-WINCH-4x4-RECOVERY-/281060789601?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item4170874d61