Condensation in gun cabinets

Rogc

Just had a look in my cabinet, and noticed some surface rusting on a recently reblued barrel. The cabinet is in the loft, and can suffer some quite large temperature swings, thus resulting in condensation and therefore the potential for the dreaded rust. I have now wiped them down with gun oil, but ideally want to stop the moisture forming, or remove the moisture as it is formed.

I have just ordered a couple of Dehumidifier Bag and am really hoping that this will sort out the problem.

Any other suggestions ?.

i keep my guns in gun socks also start from £10 up to about £50 for Beretta ones

EDIT even cheaper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remington-Silicone-Treated-Gun-Sock-52-Rifle-Shotgun-Shooting-Oil-Air-Bag-Slip-/160902726917

i have a few browning ones and really happy with them help protect against scuffs etc also

Edited by maxus77

Pay a little more and get some self regulating heat tape - put on outside - slab insulate over, with a stat in the space set to about 12C .

Tape is about 5-10 w/m so 40 w would do standard cabinet.

You could put it inside if you fancy drilling the cabinet then 2 m would suffice if you lag the cabinet.

Condensation tend to start to form in most houses on surfaces below about 10/12c (dew point).

D

I had the same issue relocate your gun safe ASAP to a warmer spot in the house as due to extreme temperature changes in the loft and gun cabinet it will keep happening I couldn't stop it with napier x 3 heater may work well but gonna cost to run.

i keep my guns in gun socks also start from £10 up to about £50 for Beretta ones

EDIT even cheaper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remington-Silicone-Treated-Gun-Sock-52-Rifle-Shotgun-Shooting-Oil-Air-Bag-Slip-/160902726917

i have a few browning ones and really happy with them help protect against scuffs etc also

Best idea right there ^

Fairly dramatic temperature changes are experienced in many people roof spaces.

It will obviously depend how the cabinet is mounted but removing all boarding and loft insulation from below the cabinet will help to reduce temperature fluctuations in the cabinet.

Silica gel and other de-humidifying product can help, as too can a VERY low wattage light bulb in the cabinet, or VERY low power heater.

Appropriate oil protection and regular checks are also advisable.

The obvious answer is move the cabinet, I guess that has been discounted!

The obvious answer is move the cabinet, I guess that has been discounted!

Unfortunately this is the only place it can be mounted so Im rather stuck with finding a solution to the problem.

Gun sock, oil and silica gell fingers crossed.

I can sell you a dehumidifier if you interested, £50 + p&p, new in box (opened) £100 in b&q

Thanks for the offer but that sounds a bit drastic, and there is no way i could keep the loft de humidified.

Thanks again.

Will the socks fit over a scope ?.

yes they do, I use the Remington socks on all my rifles and shotgun as they protect them against knocks and dings in the cabinet.

I was recently dismayed to find some rust on the inside of my cabinet door and I use VP90 and have it secured in a warm part of the house where there isn't any condensation. No idea where that came from!

No problem with rust on any guns though so the VP90, light oiling and remington sock combo seems to be working for me but haven't got the extra problem of a cabinet in the attic.

My father in law bought a very low wattage heater to put inside his piano as damp was making the keys swell and stick. It works a treat so you could try looking for a piano heater?

Edit to say they are also called wardrobe heaters.

Edited by Big Al