Entrance costs to some shows

welshwizard

Don,t know about everyone else but went to the CLA game fair for first time for about 15 years in 2010 and was pretty much shocked by the addmission price !

when I was young and kids were growing into fieldsports use to reguarly attend the game fairs and country shows but went to this and was amazed - not sure but think it was around £25 each addmission this year they are £26 for yself and my wife thats now a lot of money and

think a lot of money being made from this event ,by the time they charge exhibitors as well - WOW big money , if our kids were still young we just could,nt afford it with cost of food and drink whilst there on top of the addmission !

When I was younger there use to be loads of special offers in there so you could recoup some of the outlay but now most of the prices they charge on stands are more than online .

I will not be going to any more shows unless I get free tickets (which is unlikely now as my source of free tickets has changed jobs). £40 plus for two entrance tickets to effectively a big car boot with the odd display which I have seen many times - would rather spend the money on shooting! Plus if the midland last year was anything to go by then they have started to be invaded by the caravan dwellers as there are plenty of easy pickings...

Ouch! A friend went a couple of years back he did reckon it was a good day out.

The Norfolk Game fair isn't too bad. They have a shoot on and gun dog scurry (taking our lab this year). If bought in advance £12 each with Free parking or £30 for a family. Then take we'll take a picnic - thats where they really sting you. Sandringham also do one in September although there didn't seem as much stuff there as normal last year. I managed to win a family ticket to the Norfolk Game Fair this year which is even nicer :)

The Norfolk Game fair isn't too bad. They have a shoot on and gun dog scurry (taking our lab this year). If bought in advance £12 each with Free parking or £30 for a family. Then take we'll take a picnic - thats where they really sting you. Sandringham also do one in September although there didn't seem as much stuff there as normal last year. I managed to win a family ticket to the Norfolk Game Fair this year which is even nicer :)

I am looking at going to the show in April but when you paying £12 each out before even stepping through the door it does make it expensive for us ....

We've got three quite large show's in the county this year.

East Anglian Game and Country Fair 27th/28th April Entry Fee Per Person £12.00 http://www.ukgamefair.co.uk/book-tickets-step1

Holkham Country Fair 27th/28th July Entry Fee Per Person £15.00 http://www.holkhamcountryfair.com/

Sandringham Game & Country Fair 7th/8th Sept Entry Fee Per Person £11.00 http://www.sandringhamestate.co.uk/EventDetail.asp?Event=5&V=1&S=7

So if I take the wife and my two daughters (both over 18) to all these events it costs me £152.00 in gate money alone! :lol::no:

We mightn't have gone if we hadn't won the tickets. Compared to some of the other shows its not too bad. The Norfolk show is pretty much a no go now (on the day £22 ticket ea with £6 parking!), plus it doesn't feel very country with its fashion village! Wayland is really nice £8 for a advance ticket.

It'd be lovely if there was a big free event where everyone could learn about the countryside/shooting etc. I supose insuarence etc helps put an end to that though. At Wayland the kids get in the ring with a pack of foxhounds, and in the ring with a collie and ducks and they love it. Great way to get people interested in the countryside from an early age.

Went to the Shooting show on 9th Feb prebooked tickets were £15.50 so I thought as I had never been to it before and the shooting press had been promoting it I wanted to see how good it was ,we went up on the Friday before to avoid traffic (lucky we did too) but nothing open no evening bar ,cafe closed at 7 p.m. and food and drink price was

stupid - £4 for small pasty ,£2 bottle of Oasis !

Booked the Gt Dorset steam fair for August but this is our main holiday for me and missus ,went once before for two days this year we booked four ,not cheap but far more there for the price compared to CLA , we are taking camper so food and drink will be cooked and eaten on board :)

We mightn't have gone if we hadn't won the tickets. Compared to some of the other shows its not too bad. The Norfolk show is pretty much a no go now (on the day £22 ticket ea with £6 parking!), plus it doesn't feel very country with its fashion village! Wayland is really nice £8 for a advance ticket.

It'd be lovely if there was a big free event where everyone could learn about the countryside/shooting etc. I supose insuarence etc helps put an end to that though. At Wayland the kids get in the ring with a pack of foxhounds, and in the ring with a collie and ducks and they love it. Great way to get people interested in the countryside from an early age.

I looked at getting the tickets in advance to save some money....but they are £12 plus a £2 booking fee....so only saving a £1 and then run the risk of not going for whatever reason ...

prob wont bother this year as funds are tight :/

I run the shoot at The Holkham Country Fair and will no doubt be able to give tickets to the guys that are " helping " even though i have all my refs sorted :ninja::whistling:

I will post when i know how many i have priority to guys that shoot at my sunday shoots

Re other fairs like Chatsworth , Yorkshire and 8 others i will also have spare tickets

Edited by hitclays

That is more reasonable particuarly if taking a family but too far for me , thirty years ago when our kids were young we use to travel miles for a big show but not now ,If the C.L.A was still within my budget I would have gone for one day and then found a campsite overnight but with £52 entrance fee for two of us then fuel and the camping ,food and drink it adds up to same as us having a w/e break in a hotel ,if you book late rooms the hotel w/e could be even cheaper and more relaxed !

Edited by welshwizard

• 2 weeks later...

Its not just the price of getting in either. The gear on sale is rip off. Because of the cold weather this year we have had to buy a load of these

http://www.awbtextiles.co.uk/item/144/dickies-high-visibility-motorway-safety-jacket

They are superb, beautiful thick quilted linings, stitched and welded seams, good heavy duty zips etc. really well made for £30 including free delivery! If they had been the same jackets but in dark green hanging on a rack at a game fair they would be £160. and they would be telling you thats a special price for the show.

Edited by Vince Green

Its not just the price of getting in either. The gear on sale is rip off. Because of the cold weather this year we have had to buy a load of these

http://www.awbtextiles.co.uk/item/144/dickies-high-visibility-motorway-safety-jacket

They are superb, beautiful thick quilted linings, stitched and welded seams, good heavy duty zips etc. really well made for £30 including free delivery! If they had been the same jackets but in dark green hanging on a rack at a game fair they would be £160. and they would be telling you thats a special price for the show.

funny you say that about "show" prices....

i was looking last year at a few bits......they had it advertised at £80....but SHOW special at £60....go on the website stood there and it was £60 on the website.....pulled them up about it and they went all shy and then aggressive

I think rather than comparing the prices to gamefairs to what they used to be i think you need to compare it to what else you can get for your money nowadays. Where else can you get a full days entertainment and fun for the family for £10-£20 each, a cinema ticket cost over £10 now, go to the bowling alley a family of 4 are looking at least £40.00 at the weekends. A music concert starts at £30. Thorpe Park or Alton towers is a minimum of £25 a head.

I am on the committee for our local steam club and every year we run the local Steam Fayre which is very big over 100 steam engines, you will not believe the costs of things, insurance, toilets, security, postage of forms, ticket printing, catalogue printing, tent hire, repairing the ground if it is chewed up, bins. The amount of waste that comes from these shows is truly unbelievable and that all has to be paid to be disposed of.

Of course then there is the weigh up of what you charge on the gate and its a numbers game, some people will come regardless whether it was £1 to get in or £20, others will complain it costs £1 to get in.

Although it seems like a lot on the day if you really think what your getting for the money they are good value and i am sure everyone has spent a lot more money for a lot less enjoyment. Of course the companies running it make a profit but i would be very surprised knowing the costs involved if the profits are huge.

Well said ferguson_tom. An Italian colleague was moaning the other day that he went to a restaurant and paid 8 quid for a plate of pasta which he reckons cost 50p to make. What people don't realise is all the overhead costs which are imposed on businesses these days. It is ridiculous.

BASC Gamekeepers fair this weekend, £8 in advance £10 on the gate, Under 15s free, free car parking, good day plenty to see but not so much you can't get round it all! Even some bargins around, I had by Seeland shooting vest for a £10! Yes food will be a bit more then you'd find elsewear but the car park is nice and close if you want to take a pack-up with you!