Which small 4x4?

ace_of_hearts

My girlfriend is looking at getting rid of her Morris next month after we get it through its MOT, and she quite fancies a 4x4 (which i can also use for my shooting :good: )

So far i know she likes Land Rover Freelanders and hates Suzuki Vitaras. I think a Jimny might be a good shout for insurance affordability and high MPG, but she is unsure of the looks in pictures. It will be her everyday car so will probably be 90% on road and 10% offroad.

What else is worth a look? I have also heard swb Shoguns mentioned, but know little about them. Are Rav4's any good? What about Jeep Cherokees?

Budget will be about £2k i think, and either small capacity petrols or diesels preferred to keep insurance / running costs down

My girlfriend is looking at getting rid of her Morris next month after we get it through its MOT, and she quite fancies a 4x4 (which i can also use for my shooting :good: )

So far i know she likes Land Rover Freelanders and hates Suzuki Vitaras. I think a Jimny might be a good shout for insurance affordability and high MPG, but she is unsure of the looks in pictures. It will be her everyday car so will probably be 90% on road and 10% offroad.

What else is worth a look? I have also heard swb Shoguns mentioned, but know little about them. Are Rav4's any good? What about Jeep Cherokees?

Budget will be about £2k i think, and either small capacity petrols or diesels preferred to keep insurance / running costs down

if your budget is 2k then the shogun or rav 4 will be very old at that price look for a clean jimny

colin

I'm looking for a small 4x4 for lamping what I found was the jimny was dearer to insure than the vitara

Pinin looks a good motor but just about every one I have looked at for about £2000-£2500 had rusting arches and looked like the body work would just rust away

someone said this was because they were imports and didn't get the same underseal and quality of paint a UK model would get don't know if this is true

Edited by castletyne

I've just looked at a SWB shogun diesel and was very impressed but have to say I reckon it was a bit of a harsh drive on the motorway so might not be the best choice for a car that'll be used for just 10% offroading.

The various Suzuki 4x4s all seem to be good, reliable vehicles with good fuel consumption (and surprisingly good off road) but again, will probably be a bit of a PITA on the highway.

I did this same exercise 6 months ago. I had about 2k to spend on a 4wd, though my primary requirements were for taking the dogs out and shooting/fishing, not a daily driver. I ended up with the cherokee. I got a 53 plate with 50k on the clock for 2500 which was a good deal. I took the cherokee after looking at vitaras, xl7, crv, rav4, shogun and shogun sport, forresters, and a couple others. Price and mileage was what did it for me- i couldn't pass up the deal even though it was the 3.7 petrol. For a daily driver you wouldn't want the petrol for the mileage. I also looked at grand cherokees and would have gone that route personally, but my wife didn't like the look of them inside. I nearly got the xl7 and a crv, but in both cases i walked away thinking i could get a better deal. The crv is very comfortable and reliable and i would have gotten that if daily driving was my requirement.

Rick

I have a CRV and it has never let me down on reliability, it does 35mpg (it's a 2.0 petrol) including commuting (40mpg plus on a run) into the edge of Birmingham and as long as you are sensible is perfectly capable for off road access to shooting and fishing. It is also really comfortable compared to a lot of 4x4s I have been in.

Mine is a newish one but see no reason why the older ones would be any different if you can find a good one inside your budget.

Shes making a mistake dismissing the Vitara but failing that the Jimny !

We have a Jimny and its great but a little more space would be great, the jimny in fantastically capable off road ! :D

How is it on the highway?

I really like the Suzuki jeeps but have to do a fair bit of highway work and am concerned they'd be a bit noisy etc?

If your going to do motorway drives go for the Vitara would be my advice.

When i take mine on the motorway I stick to 60mph-65mph tops and stick in the first lane with the HGV`s. you do somethimes get blown about a bit but thats to be ecpected with a light car ! It will do 75mph on the motorway but its giving it a bit of a hard time over a sustained amount of time ! Cant comment on MT`s and noicebut its fine on road tyres. The one thing with the Jimny is the back end in the wet......Its lively and with MT`s you will have less surface contact so maybe worse and thats why i havent put MT`s on mine !

ATB

Matt

I would have thought that the vitara was idea as they are simple to work on the only real down side is they can be prone to rusting I have one and love it but I can see why she may not want one as they did have a bit of a reputation a bit like the old for capri people do tend to like customising them.

if she likes the freelanders some people say that they are always going wrong but I now a couple of people who had them and had now problems with them it all comes down to luck if you get a good one or a bad one and that can be any car.

Edited by four-wheel-drive