24 Grams V 28 Grams?

Towngun

I have been looking at the 24 V 28 gram debate and wonder if anyone has further comment. The advantage of 24 grams is:

1. Lower recoil*

2. Lower cost

3. Less deformity of shot - better patterns

*If frequently heading a football can lead to brain injury, what happens to the brain following several thousands of shots taken on the clay ranges? Heading is believed to have killed the English footballer Jeff Astle.

The disadvantages:

1. Less shot in the air

I have looked at the average pellet count for 28 grams of No.7.5 and this is 350. So what if we took 24 grams but moved up to No.8? When we do this we see the average count is 359. Not only do you resolve the pellet count issue but you actually increase it.

Problem solved or at least the problem now moves to another debate i.e. No.7.5 to No.8 shot?

For those who suffer from recoil issues or for those who are concerned about the long term impact of recoil on the brain box this may be worth consideration.

PS: I am not suggesting N0.8's are suitable for live quarry.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking at the 24 V 28 gram debate and wonder if anyone has further comment. The advantage of 24 grams is:

1. Lower recoil* Not always

2. Lower cost Not necessarily and certainly not a big difference

3. Less deformity of shot - better patterns Absolutely unproven though oft spouted by magazine experts (sorry editors) with little technical knowledge other than reading other rhetorical accounts

*If frequently heading a football can lead to brain injury, what happens to the brain following several thousands of shots taken on the clay ranges? Heading is believed to have killed the English footballer Jeff Astle.

The disadvantages:

1. Less shot in the air

I have looked at the average pellet count for 28 grams of No.7.5 and this is 350. So what if we took 24 grams but moved up to No.8? When we do this we see the average count is 359. Not only do you resolve the pellet count issue but you actually increase it.

Problem solved or at least the problem now moves to another debate i.e. No.7.5 to No.8 shot?

For those who suffer from recoil issues or for those who are concerned about the long term impact of recoil on the brain box this may be worth consideration.

PS: I am not suggesting N0.8's are suitable for live quarry.

I have little doubt that dropping down a shot size from say 7.5's to 8's can be beneficial if you're going to go the 24g route but as highlighted above too many assumptions are made about the differences between the two loads.

Jeff Astle's problems were allegedly caused by heading a football, obviously shaking his brain about a bit. Recoil is a different planet.

Use 8s in 28 gram loads - increase your chances.

If you like shooting 24 gram loads - do it, but I haven't seen any convincing argument for them, as yet.

Er . .... Heading the ball hits you in the head, and recoil hits you in the shoulder , fail to see the comparison, also old matey boy with the head was with the old heavy leather football that used to absorb water, I may be wrong but I believe that was the debate on his untimely death. If you mount the gun on your forehead it may well have the same effect, try it and let us know how you get on

Er . .... Heading the ball hits you in the head, and recoil hits you in the shoulder , fail to see the comparison, also old matey boy with the head was with the old heavy leather football that used to absorb water, I may be wrong but I believe that was the debate on his untimely death. If you mount the gun on your forehead it may well have the same effect, try it and let us know how you get on

perhaps the op was refering to damage to the shoulder long term? Personally can't see it happening in either case,

28g for me purely because of the cost

i have recently used some RC2's 7.5's in 24 gram which are an english 7 and they have worked very well on OT. DTL and sporting ! Only reason i bought them is i have to use 24 gram at OT, they are very light on recoil and give good breaks although i will be back to 28 gram for everything except OT

The 24 gram are £10 a thousand cheaper than 28's but i'd rather have the extra pellets in a 28 gram just purely for more confidence really ! On anything up to 40 yards i don't believe anyone will hit any more clays with either just a personal preference and confidence thing.

Guest cookoff013

24g loads are not that cheaper ! its about £10 different.

i actually homload 32g 28g 24g and 21g 12gauge loads. they all cost about the same £200 / k.

i`m just about to start loading 24g of #9 at 1500fps. as a dedicated clay shell. just for english sporting.

24g loads are not that cheaper ! its about £10 different.

i actually homload 32g 28g 24g and 21g 12gauge loads. they all cost about the same £200 / k.

i`m just about to start loading 24g of #9 at 1500fps. as a dedicated clay shell. just for english sporting.

Do the grounds that you shoot at know that you are shooting "homeloads" and have you asked them for permission as their insurance might not cover you.

This helps explain why we're always at 6s and 7s regarding shot size and the preferred choice of size. 28grams/1oz of 7.5 is about 400 and for 8s, it would be 385 (24grams). In effect, the 7.5 is 7 and the 8 is an undersized 7.5.

Yep, OK, bit pedantic, but valid and as there'll never be agreement on which country's sizing to make international, as one of our members has correctly said, the only way to identify what's actually in the box is to size by pellet quantity by weight.

Edit: Don't know what happened, second paragraph in the 'quote' is my first one

Edited by wymberley

Guest cookoff013

Do the grounds that you shoot at know that you are shooting "homeloads" and have you asked them for permission as their insurance might not cover you.

thats just funny,

no, i dont tell them i`m using homeloads.

All of my cartridges get proofed, so i cant see how the "homeload" issues are actually an issue.

thats just funny,

no, i dont tell them i`m using homeloads.

All of my cartridges get proofed, so i cant see how the "homeload" issues are actually an issue.

Fine as long as you stick to the grounds rules normally 28g. Burnout allowed in comps to use home loads